• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lowe was a decent signing as well.

Lions=TeHsUcKs

Basketball School
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok I initially though it was 11 million for Lowe, NOT 13 million for 2 years, which means it's a mediocre signing. Could have spend that money on a more legit RP than him.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Lowe is signed for $11 million over two years. Most estimates had him getting $3.5 to $4 million per year, so it's still a bit high. But then, nearly every pitcher contract this offseason seems to be high.

The Tigers are on the verge of going over the luxury tax threshold. One more big signing will do it.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Lowe is signed for $11 million over two years. Most estimates had him getting $3.5 to $4 million per year, so it's still a bit high. But then, nearly every pitcher contract this offseason seems to be high.

The Tigers are on the verge of going over the luxury tax threshold. One more big signing will do it.
Not sure how an article came out about the Tigers payroll being at the tax threshold... Tax line is 189 mil... Right now the Tigers are at about 170 mil... that includes estimated arb raises and all the contracts signed up to today. They are lower than last year's opening day payroll.

Here is a good article that breaks it down. -http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2015/12/detroit_tigers_payroll_update.html

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets trade Niese to the Pirates for Walker... I would have loved to have seen Niese traded for instead of signing pelfrey... Wonder if the Tigers went down that road or not.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers still looking for relief help. Could use another lefty. I'm still not totally happy with Maybin, Gose, JD, and the two "Maybes" in left field. Also, still wondering about Iglesias? Is Machado ready? If so....Iglesias would bring a nice return.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers still looking for relief help. Could use another lefty. I'm still not totally happy with Maybin, Gose, JD, and the two "Maybes" in left field. Also, still wondering about Iglesias? Is Machado ready? If so....Iglesias would bring a nice return.
Just traded for a lefty from the yanks... Justin Wilson. Traded one of the pitchers I said would be traded.. Cessa and Chad Green.. a turd in AA. Good pick up.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Justin Wilson is interesting... Solid numbers vs both lefties and righties.. and as a left hander.. throwing 95 mph... not a bad pick up for guys that profile as a back end starter. Chad Green grosses me out.. glad I don't have to see him pitch in the tigers minors anymore... he is trash. Cessa was a meatball thrower that everyone was in love with for some reason... Getting a proven lefty that is only 28 and only stands to make about 1.3 mil this year for that trash is awesome.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was thinking the same thing when looking at the current bullpen before yesterday. Hardy was the only sure LHP to be in the pen.

I'm hoping Alex Gordon is still a possibility for LF. Makes Tyler Collins tradeable in-season, if a need arises due to injuries and such. Maybin then becomes mainly a platoon player in CF and occasional fill-in at the corners.

Justin Wilson is interesting... Solid numbers vs both lefties and righties.. and as a left hander.. throwing 95 mph... not a bad pick up for guys that profile as a back end starter.

Yes, interesting splits. RHBs have hit only .209 against him for his career. LHBs hit .235. A good pickup. Without him, the Tigers would almost certainly have been forced to put an AAA lefty starter (Ryan, Boyd, Lobstein) in the bullpen. They may still do so, but are no longer forced to.

Last edited:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 roster is shaping up nicely. My projections...

Starting Position Players
C James McCann
1B Miguel Cabrera
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Jose Iglesias
3B Nick Castellanos
LF Tyler Collins (Gordon or Cespedes?)
CF Anthony Gose
RF J.D. Martinez
DH Victor Martinez

Bench Position Players
C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
IF Dixon Machado or Jefry Marte
IF Andrew Romine
OF Cameron Maybin

Starting Rotation
1. Justin Verlander (R)
2. Jordan Zimmermann (R)
3. Anibal Sanchez (R)
4. Mike Pelfrey (R)
5. Daniel Norris (L)

Bullpen
CL Francisco Rodriguez (R)
SU Mark Lowe (R)
RP Alex Wilson (R)
RP Blaine Hardy (L)
RP Drew VerHagen (R)
RP Justin Wilson (L)
RP Bruce Rondon (R), Angel Nesbitt (R), Montreal Robertson (R) or AAA starter

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how an article came out about the Tigers payroll being at the tax threshold... Tax line is 189 mil... Right now the Tigers are at about 170 mil... that includes estimated arb raises and all the contracts signed up to today. They are lower than last year's opening day payroll.

Well, the article you linked does say, "It gives you some idea about how close they are to the luxury tax threshold of $189 million, although those calculations are a bit more complicated."

My understanding is the luxury tax figures in average salaries of long-term contracts. For example, Jordan Zimmermann is set to be paid $18 million in 2016, but the average season over the length of his contract is $22 million. So $22 million is the hit toward the luxury tax.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running tally on the offseason...

LOSSES
Alex Avila
Alfredo Simon
Guido Knudson
Al Alburquerque
Neftali Feliz
Javier Betancourt
Gabe Speier
Ian Krol
Chad Green
Luis Cessa

GAINS
Francisco Rodriguez
Jordan Zimmermann
Mike Pelfrey
Mark Lowe
Justin Wilson
Cameron Maybin
Jarrod Saltalamacchia

So far, so good. I mean, is there anyone on the Losses list you're dying to have back on the team?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the article you linked does say, "It gives you some idea about how close they are to the luxury tax threshold of $189 million, although those calculations are a bit more complicated."

My understanding is the luxury tax figures in average salaries of long-term contracts. For example, Jordan Zimmermann is set to be paid $18 million in 2016, but the average season over the length of his contract is $22 million. So $22 million is the hit toward the luxury tax.
I haven't ever heard of this... I am going to double check.. but it makes no sense.. Why would they back load contracts if this was the case? If fact... I am going to say its not even possible because kinsler's contract was actually front loaded so he would have been less of a hit...

I am pretty sure the actually tax hit is what salary they are paid that year... Every media I have read has the Tiger's payroll somewhere estimated around the low 170's - to upper 170's. They aren't at the luxury tax no matter how you look at it.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Most people that did their calculations did them before the actual details of the contracts came out... which is why they didn't take into consideration that Zimmerman back loaded his deal. You can google the tigers 2016 payroll and nobody has them at 189 mil... the only real unknown is the estimated arb raises.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Running tally on the offseason...

LOSSES
Alex Avila
Alfredo Simon
Guido Knudson
Al Alburquerque
Neftali Feliz
Javier Betancourt
Gabe Speier
Ian Krol
Chad Green
Luis Cessa

GAINS
Francisco Rodriguez
Jordan Zimmermann
Mike Pelfrey
Mark Lowe
Justin Wilson
Cameron Maybin
Jarrod Saltalamacchia

So far, so good. I mean, is there anyone on the Losses list you're dying to have back on the team?

Interesting break down. The only guys I am sad to see go are Knudson and Betancourt... but none are future all stars IMO. The bullpen pickups are low key but solid. Zimmerman has solid numbers vs the AL in his 8 years and should translate well at the very least as a #2. Pelfrey signing is shitty... hopefully he proves me wrong. I think Maybin could end up being a huge pickup. He played extremely well last year and he is nearing his contract years... He is going to be motivated to keep it up. If the Tigers get an outfielder that hits .275+ with 15+Hr out of Ian Krol and Gabe Speier... Avila is the man.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2016 roster is shaping up nicely. My projections...

C James McCann
1B Miguel Cabrera
2B Ian Kinsler
SS Jose Iglesias
3B Nick Castellanos
LF Tyler Collins (Gordon or Cespedes?)
CF Anthony Gose
RF J.D. Martinez
DH Victor Martinez

Bench Position Players
C Jarrod Saltalamacchia
IF Dixon Machado or Jefry Marte
IF Andrew Romine
OF Cameron Maybin

Starting Rotation
1. Justin Verlander (R)
2. Jordan Zimmermann (R)
3. Anibal Sanchez (R)
4. Mike Pelfrey (R)
5. Daniel Norris (L)

Bullpen
CL Francisco Rodriguez (R)
SU Mark Lowe (R)
RP Alex Wilson (R)
RP Blaine Hardy (L)
RP Drew VerHagen (R)
RP Justin Wilson (L)
RP Bruce Rondon (R), Angel Nesbitt (R), Montreal Robertson (R) or AAA starter

I doubt Tyler Collins gets more at bats than Maybin this year... So I would assume he ends up being the 4th outfielder.. unless He or Moya has a big spring.. but even then... I bet Maybin is the starter. Even with the trade of Cessa, the Tigers still have to many starters in the 24-27 age group that are #5/bullpen/AAA starters. Unless they permanently shift guys like Farmer and Ryan to the AAA pen... they still have 1 guy that doesn't fit. They have at least 2 starters that are going to be moving up to AA from the lower levels... so they have no spot to put them there.. Im curious to see how it works out. The fact no minor league signings have been made for AAA's bullpen tells me Avila has plans to shift guys to the bullpen.

My guess for Toledo
C Manny Pina
1B Dominic Ficociello
2B Tommy Field
SS Jacoby Jones ( when back from his time out ) minor league free agent signing for now
3B Jefrey Marte
LF Steven Moya
CF Wynton Bernard
RF Jeff McVaney
DH Dean Green

Starting Rotation
1. Fulmer (R)
2. Boyd (L)
3. Greene (R)
4. Lobstein (L)
5. Ryan (L)

Bullpen
CL Voelker (R)
SU Ferrell(R)
RP Nesbitt (R)
RP Mantilpy (L)
RP Farmer (R)
RP Jose Valdez (R)

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt Tyler Collins gets more at bats than Maybin this year... So I would assume he ends up being the 4th outfielder.. unless He or Moya has a big spring.. but even then... I bet Maybin is the starter.

Yeah, I was thinking that the LH hitter typically gets more starts, given that more starting pitchers are right-handed. But that doesn't apply here. Maybin actually hits RHPs better than LHPs for his career (.255 to .241) and is the better defender, so I'd say you are right.