• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which proves my earlier point that you only need two pitches to be an effective a one-inning reliever, if the two pitches are well above average. Starters need three good pitches minimum, often four.
2 plus pitches isn't just enough.. it is what is recommended for relievers. Most pitching coaches don't want relievers using more than 2.. 3 tops.

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Tigers have 2 more seasons at least where Verlander can be a #1 quality starter. His last 2 years of his contract will be a gamble.. but when its all said and done.. I don't think many people will say the contract was a bad one.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The window may be closing soon for this roster. Miggy injuries last two years and won't know if that's the beginning of decline or not.

V-Mart....... you hope he bounces back but two knee surgeries at this stage may be end also.
JV............. which do you get. the 2013/2014 version or the mid-august to end of season 2015
Sanchez..... I've been telling two on here for the last year or so you may be seeing his decline also mostly due to constant shoulder issues since June 2013
Kinsler....... he had some early season (may-late june 2015) issues... when is his decline coming. it could be this year. hope not

Verlander clearly was still effected by the surgery he had and was not completely healthy. I am not worried about Verlander at all. Not having the extra innings this season from the playoffs and missing the first few months was the best thing that could have happened to him. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Verlander had a CY caliber season next year. He clearly was a different pitcher late in the year... And nothing suggests he won't be even healthier with more rest.

Yeah, of the group Blue mentioned, I'm worried about Verlander and Kinsler the least. I said last year that I think JV has at least a couple of All-Star caliber seasons left, if not Cy-caliber.

Kinsler's first half of 2015 to me was an aberration. He wound up at .296 for the season -- second best average of his career -- and hit 9 HR in the second half.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
V-Mart....... you hope he bounces back but two knee surgeries at this stage may be end also.

V-Mart's splits last year were atrocious. He's a career .300+ hitter from both sides, but last year he goes .338 as a RH hitter and .219 as a lefty. That was all knee. I don't know if the knee will ever be 100 percent again and there's risk of re-injury at his age. He is definitely one to worry about.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers not making the playoffs last year is going to be a blessing for many of the guys. Players like Miggy, Verlander, Kinsler, they had a lot of innings on their odometer... Getting the extra rest this year is huge. I am not that concerned about Miggy. Most of his injuries are nagging ones that will heal with time off. As long as his hand eye is still strong and he still has his elite bat speed.. he is going to mash. Kinsler is going to be able to play out his contract and still be a solid value.

I am a little concerned about Vmart.. but that is what it is. Coming back from knee injuries at his age is going to take time... His next year can go either way.. either its going to be back to what we are used to with .300 and clutch hitting.. or he is going to completely fall off... My guess is his work ethic will allow him to come back.. but that 4 year deal is looking worse and worse.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not having the extra innings this season from the playoffs and missing the first few months was the best thing that could have happened to him

that I'll agree with.
I'm still concerned though.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not that concerned about Miggy. Most of his injuries are nagging ones that will heal with time off. As long as his hand eye is still strong and he still has his elite bat speed.. he is going to mash.

The lower body injuries affected his HR power the last couple of years, but no worries on the hand-eye thing. He won another batting title in spite of all the aches and pains.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers that can very easily out produce their stats from last year
  • Castellanos - I expect a major leap with the bat
  • Vmart - time to heal should allow him to at the very least improve on last year.. if not get back to where he was
  • Miggy - I totally believe he rushed back from surgery last year to fast... he didn't have his legs under him
  • Verlander - easily will outpace last year
  • Sanchez - if he is healed.. no way he isn't better..
The Tigers had a perfect storm of shit last year.. Rest is going to help a ton.. along with the addition of bullpen help.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lower body injuries affected his HR power the last couple of years, but no worries on the hand-eye thing. He won another batting title in spite of all the aches and pains.

Miggy rushed back from the ankle surgery clearly. It was never healed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think many people will say the contract was a bad one.

I said the moment I read about it. JV still had 3 years, I believe, left when he got that extension. If they win a WS I'll be a homer and say it was okay. I still think it was dumb at that time.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinsler's first half of 2015 to me was an aberration.

it wasn't ever reported but I'm thinking it was a hammy issue and not being talked about at all. he was having trouble going to his left on easy GB's and believe it affected his hitting. by the time late June more like early July you could see his mobility to get to GB's was better and as well as his hitting came around. he started driving the ball deep once again for doubles. idk if my assumption was right but he did rebound well 2nd half

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not that concerned about Miggy. Most of his injuries are nagging ones that will heal with time off.

two years in a row, actually 3.. foot/shin/ankle/calf.. hell, he's 32 and a big ol boy. body breaking down can/does happen before you expect it.

I will not be concerned about his hands/eyes...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lot's of faith in Nicky C.

better ?
idk about that... it was reported this past shoulder injury had some nerve issues also
I doubt that the Tigers would be going into the season without adding a better rotation option than Pelfrey if Sanchez medical reports didn't suggest he will be ready to go in the spring. Sanchez numbers were just odd.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't write off sanchez yet. The guy has top of the rotation stuff when healthy.. and like the rest.. I don't think he ever really was healthy last year. The time off for everyone hopefully helps.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ankle injuries are not career enders... they will linger if you can't stay off them.. but I doubt Miggy has issues with this next year. Remember that he had surgery on it like a month before spring training... He literally never had a chance to heal.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt that the Tigers would be going into the season without adding a better rotation option than Pelfrey if Sanchez medical reports didn't suggest he will be ready to go in the spring.

3 straight years now, Vice.. fuck those medical reports.. you keep going back to those reports and I'll keep going back to being shutdown in August two years in a row. That's a not just a caution sign you're ignoring it's a red light. The one thing they have going for them is some arms that can come up for replacement for a few starts. but I'm not as confident as some in here about those replacements as they proven nothing to date other than sucking for the most part. (Lobstein, Farmer, Boyd nothing special even as a temporary fix)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 straight years now, Vice.. fuck those medical reports.. you keep going back to those reports and I'll keep going back to being shutdown in August two years in a row. That's a not just a caution sign you're ignoring it's a red light. The one thing they have going for them is some arms that can come up for replacement for a few starts. but I'm not as confident as some in here about those replacements as they proven nothing to date other than sucking for the most part. (Lobstein, Farmer, Boyd nothing special even as a temporary fix)
Come on Blue.. 3 years? In 2013 he led the entire AL in ERA and was 4th in the Cy voting. 2014 he had a some issues... but still started 22 games and had a 3.43 era. Last year was the first real bad year for him... He wasn't shut down in August in 2014... He pitched in the 2014 playoffs.. Sanchez concerns me... but in no way can you say this has happened in 3 straight years. The guy was a ace caliber in 2013... He could have pitched late this season but was held out because it made no sense to bring him back when they were out of contention. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez was the best pitcher the Tigers had next year.