• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike Lowe was a middle of the road reliever for the Rangers... then had a great season for the Mariners last year.. was traded to Toronto.. His career numbers are ok.. but not 6.5 mil a yr ok.
Still can't put a face to the name.

Baseball reference here I come!

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the Salty signing.

He's been around the block. Kinda need a catcher with expierience imo.

As Vice said, really no risk with that one. Miami is on the hook for the remainder of Salty's contract thru 2016, so Detroit only has to pay him the major league minimum.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't send a guy like Norris or Fulmer out for 1 year of a closer when your farm system is like the Tigers...

nope, I said sign and trade deal. extend Chapman. There's no guarantee that either Fulmer or Norris will be anything better than a #3. Some scouting reports had Norris as a possible #2 or even just a #4. Fulmer was about the same as I read

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen a single contract handed out yet that was not an overpay... Every one of them are unbelievable including the Zimmerman contract which is starting to look like a total bargain every day they hand out another mega deal.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm an agent for some free agent....I might demand extra for signing with Detroit. Not too much extra. :) I don't want to insult them, but I'm going to remind them that Detroit is Detroit. Of course, in reverse, if I'm the GM...I might just say, "Fuck You".

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nope, I said sign and trade deal. extend Chapman. There's no guarantee that either Fulmer or Norris will be anything better than a #3. Some scouting reports had Norris as a possible #2 or even just a #4. Fulmer was about the same as I read

There is no guarantee that Chapman would even consider an extension...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm an agent for some free agent....I might demand extra for signing with Detroit. Not too much extra. :) I don't want to insult them, but I'm going to remind them that Detroit is Detroit. Of course, in reverse, if I'm the GM...I might just say, "Fuck You".
Iffy.. seriously.. You are a clown.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norris is and has been 10 times the prospect Fulmer is. To be honest.. nobody was even talking much about the guy until this season when he was traded to Detroit... He was like the Mets 6th best prospect... and just moved into the top 100 prospects at the end of the season... A lot of Fulmer's hype is VERY recent. Norris has been a highly regarded prospect for years.. at one point considered the best lefty pitcher in the minors.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Lowe......

I kept wondering who Mike was.
The guy is such a forgettable pitcher.. can't even remember his name. Yet Tigers just paid him $13 mil for 2 years.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well no, there's never a guarantee. Al Avila stated on his recent acquisitions that he's very happy the team hasn't had to give up its young pitchers to make the deals. I'm assuming he means guys like Fulmer and Norris, and not Farmer and Ryan. :dhd:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chapman will be by FAR the best free agent pitcher next year.. Starter or Reliever. He is going to get paid and negotiating with one team instead of the entire league is not smart management. He wasn't going to sign an extension. It would have been bad business for him. If he goes out and has another season like last.. He is going to set the record for a relief pitcher's contract... He is only 27...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is going to set the record for a relief pitcher's contract...

i'd been fine making that happen a year early without 29 (well cincy would be out) I mean 28 other teams vying for services which we know wouldn't have happened anyway.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well no, there's never a guarantee. Al Avila stated on his recent acquisitions that he's very happy the team hasn't had to give up its young pitchers to make the deals. I'm assuming he means guys like Fulmer and Norris, and not Farmer and Ryan. :dhd:

Avila also mentioned building bullpen arms out of the current farm. I am hoping that means he is seeing reality and is going to build AAA's bullpen out of arms like Farmer and Ryan and get some decent in house options for bullpen roles in the future.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'd been fine making that happen a year early.
You aren't getting it... Negotiating with one team is one of the last things any agent is going to do. Its going to be a bidding war for him next year... What ever the Tigers would offer now would be blown away on the open market... The only people that benefit would be the Tigers.. Chapman has no reason to discuss an extension.. and won't. Trust me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers general manager and vice president of baseball operations Al Avila did not mince words: His club’s pitching was “horrible” this past season. Making that pitching core less horrible has been the top priority heading into winter meetings and the rest of the offseason.

mission accomplished, right ?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ulterior motives :noidea:
I get that every fan wants their team to get the best players.. but some times you just gotta realize the Tigers were not in position to get Chapman when so many other teams were in the mix. Expecting them to not only come up with the best trade package.. then get to negotiate an extension with Chapman is like asking for the world twice.