• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soria would be great as a set up guy....but he is asking for a three year deal north of $24 million. That is too much. Maybe a closer is worth that kind of cash....but not a set up guy.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said earlier that Soria would be a good fit at the right price...7th- 8th inning....

for 9M per.. ? I think that is what his Agents asking price is. not necessarily what he gets but these pitcher salaries are ridiculous.

the advantage to having Soria is that you know you could swap him out with K-Rod should that be needed at any time (K-Rod injury, closes 3 successive days in a row at a IP per and such). You already know what Soria can do.

TBH, I'd rather see a trade for Chapman and have K-Rod as 7th-8th inning set-up. Then extend Chapman before he hits FA. Chapman is younger than either Soria or K-Rod and you can't deny his dominance as a closer.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MiamiVice

Tigers haven't ruled out Soria.. Soria is looking for a multi-year deal in the neighborhood of 9M per

Tigers haven't closed door on signing Soria
I have no issue what so ever if the Tigers were to bring back Soria... but not at 9m per... O' Day got just a little under 8 mil and 4 years. I wouldn't think it would be a horrible signing at 3 yrs 20 mil... But 9 mil is way to much...

I still think they are going to make a trade... they just have a log jam of 24-27 yr old pitchers without places to put them all. Toledo only as 5 rotation spots and you have Farmer, Boyd, Lobstein, Ryan, Fulmer, Cessa, and Greene. I think Farmer and Ryan could move to the pen... but really wouldn't be surprised to see Avila use Farmer or Cessa in a trade for a bullpen arm. Its just basic math... not places for everyone.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MiamiVice

you do see I'm pushing for that Chapman trade, right... He'd be worth the money for an extension.. only way I'd trade for him is with an extension... Chapman 27... Soria almost 32

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MiamiVice

you do see I'm pushing for that Chapman trade, right... He'd be worth the money for an extension.. only way I'd trade for him is with an extension... Chapman 27... Soria almost 32

Looks like the Dodgers are making a move for Chapman. They have much more ammo in their farm system to get him. They are probably also butt hurt that Greinke told them to kick rocks. Still other guys the Tigers can land through trade though ( Boxberger from tampa was a rumor to the tigers a few weeks ago)... Before looking to guys like Soria, Tyler Clippard or Cishek.

I doubt the Winter Meetings end without the Tigers making another major move.

Side note... Tigers just signed Jared Saltalamacchia for the vet minimum to compete for the backup catcher job.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saltalamacchia.....has some power, but his fielding is below average. Weak arm. He'd need to start only against teams with very few base stealing threats. I'd guess it will be his bat vs Holaday's defense in a battle for #2 catcher. Salty has the edge with experience, switch hitting and can play first.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saltalamacchia.....has some power, but his fielding is below average. Weak arm. He'd need to start only against teams with very few base stealing threats. I'd guess it will be his bat vs Holaday's defense in a battle for #2 catcher. Salty has the edge with experience, switch hitting and can play first.

Its a minimum deal and he could easily be cut if Holaday beats him out in the spring for minimum cost. It was a no brainer really. Its about as low risk of a deal as you can get. He is only 30 and would have gotten way more if not for the fact the Marlins are paying him 8 mil this year to not play for them.

In other news... Dodgers sign Iwakuma to a 3 years deal.

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soria to sign with the Royals for 3 yrs and 25 mil... Royals made some money with their title run and use it on an area that is already a strength? They are losing 2 starters and might not resign Alex Gordon... but they spend 8mil a yr on Soria... Odd move. O'day cost less than 8 mil a year.. but he got a extra year.... still odd to see Royals over pay for a guy that plays a role they already have in house.

In other news... Tigers sign Mark Lowe.. Solid signing.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodger's trading for Aroldis Chapman. didn't state the two prospects that are going to Cincy.

not going to be any of their top prospects. Olney is talking now. still don't know who

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dodger trading for Aroldis Chapman. didn't state the two prospects that are going to Cincy.

I have seen that one of them is their 2014 1st round pick ( grant holmes ). Tigers just didn't have the juice to get into this one. Dodgers had 8 prospects that were going to be in the top 100 of baseball... Tigers will be lucky to have 2 next year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Soria deal seems very pricey but so does most pitchers deals.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Soria deal seems very pricey but so does most pitchers deals.
I don't get the Royals thoughts on putting 8 mil into a bullpen guy when they still have loads of arms there... And they lost Guthrie and Cueto from the rotation... They did resign Young.. but he only threw 120 innings last year... Its almost like they care to field a decent rotation. Rumors are swirling that the Tigers have been on the phones with Cespedes and Gordon.. so maybe.. just maybe.. Ilitch is going to open the wallet and get one last big piece.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers just didn't have the juice to get into this one

Lot's of pitchers you had named. They had the juice but maybe the better term is that Cincy didn't have interest in any of them OR Avila NEVER even tried with an honest or fair offer

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot's of pitchers you had named. They had the juice but maybe the better term is that Cincy didn't have interest in any of them OR Avila NEVER even tried with an honest or fair offer
This is spot on.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Holmes has top of the rotation potential.. none of what the Tigers have to trade has that. Tigers could have given quantity.. but not quality.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cueto hasn't signed anywhere and I believe his only offer came from D'backs for 120M
Word on many sites is that many GM's are laughing at Cueto's agent for not taking that offer. Only a few clubs are left that will spend big on a starter.. One of them, the Cards, said they don't want Cueto do to his interactions with their fans while he was in Cinci... So either the Giants, Dodgers, or Nationals sign him... or he is going to have a long winter.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Cueto has a reputation as a douche.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grant Holmes has top of the rotation potential.. none of what the Tigers have to trade has that. Tigers could have given quantity.. but not quality.

makes me question the development of Pitchers in the Tigers Minor league system. Is/Was the problem with the pitching coaches OR like you've said not knowing where to place drafted pitchers as far as development.