• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right there in black-n-white, Vice (from your M-Live article)

The Tigers are nearing a deal with free agent starting pitcher Mike Pelfrey, according to a source close to the situation. The two sides are discussing a two-year deal for $16 million, according to the New York Post's Joel Sherman.
:puke:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelfrey wasn't anywhere near close to being a hot ticket item. Nor is he a sure thing to eat innings.

That move will forever stick in my noggin' as bad, Bad and WORSE

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was no need to jump on this at ALL. There were rumors going back to July that they were in pursuit of Iwakuma. I honestly could have accepted that signing but this one... GTFO
Avila is acting like this offseason is a sprint... its a marathon. He got the most important parts out of the way and could have sat back and let the market come to him... Rookie mistake here. Hopfully its not costly.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what the hurry was to sign this turd.

I don't get this move. Illitch had stated he was willing to spend money and go over the Luxury Tax. Does Avila want to win with quality pitching (any pitcher can get injured at any time even if they haven't been before) or get schmucks like this AND HOPE that if there is a problem with anyone of JV, Zim, Sanchez, Norris that the unproven minor league talent will come to the forefront..

This almost DD'esque

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelfrey isn't a horrible signing in the sense of what they were looking for. Its a horrible signing because they didn't wait out the market and make sure he was the most cost effective option. I am going to try to not judge this move completely until I see what the entire offseason has in store.. If the Tigers still signed Henderson Alverez ( he is coming off surgery and won't pitch until probably July anyways) and got another good bullpen arm... I am not going to care about this much. If this signing stops the Tigers from making any other important moves... Its going to piss me off.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just hope that Avila is still aggressive in adding to the bullpen. The savings of non tendering Feliz and Al Al paid for this signing basically. They still have about $12 mil to work with before equalling last years opening day payroll. And they have about $29 mil before they hit the tax line.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a little insight to this when I read the following from same article

With the potential addition of Pelfrey, the Tigers' rotation would feature Justin Verlander, Zimmermann, Anibal Sanchez, Pelfrey and Daniel Norris. However, Norris' spot in the rotation isn't guaranteed. He's expected to battle for the final spot this spring with Kyle Lobstein, Shane Greene, Buck Farmer and Matt Boyd.

he has a lot of HOPE in Lobstein, Greene, Farmer and Boyd but not Norris whom most everyone was clamoring that he'd be a lock as #4 in this rotation and has potential to become a #2 by some analysts...

SMH

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelfrey is at least durable, but I wouldn't call him the innings-eater we need when he gets knocked out in the 3rd or 4th inning so much.

Meatball sandwich.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a little insight to this when I read the following from same article

With the potential addition of Pelfrey, the Tigers' rotation would feature Justin Verlander, Zimmermann, Anibal Sanchez, Pelfrey and Daniel Norris. However, Norris' spot in the rotation isn't guaranteed. He's expected to battle for the final spot this spring with Kyle Lobstein, Shane Greene, Buck Farmer and Matt Boyd.

he has a lot of HOPE in Lobstein, Greene, Farmer and Boyd but not Norris whom most everyone was clamoring that he'd be a lock as #4 in this rotation and has potential to become a #2 by some analysts...

SMH
Norris is in the rotation if he is healthy. Farmer is probably going to be sent to the pen in either AAA or for the Tigers. I wouldn't be surprised if he was used in a trade either. The Tigers basically have a back log of fringe #5 starters in the 25-27 yr old range right now. Toledo can't hold them all.. and not all of them are going to the pen. Something has to give.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still would like to see him have the Ball-sack to go after Chapman. It just might make me forget the Pelfrey signing... well, it would at the very least curb my wanting to knock him upside his head

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pelfrey is at least durable, but I wouldn't call him the innings-eater we need when he gets knocked out in the 3rd or 4th inning so much.

Meatball sandwich.
Actually Pelfrey's one redeeming factor is he doesn't give up HR. Only 11 last year. Only 99 for his entire career.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Meatball sandwich.

I can agree with this.

and even more so with the rest of your post.

LF and LC is going to be busy for Collins and Gose or Maybin... Okay, maybe just a lot of turning their heads upwards.. yeah, I'm wrong on the HR's butttttt.. that's a pretty high WHIP

Mike Pelfrey Stats, Fantasy & News

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with this.

and even more so with the rest of your post.

LF and LC is going to be busy for Collins and Gose or Maybin... Okay, maybe just a lot of turning their heads upwards
Totally not true... Pelfrey ground ball to fly ball rate was actually one of the best in baseball last year.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believe it or not... Pelfrey actually tied for league league in DP balls induced.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally not true... Pelfrey ground ball to fly ball rate was actually one of the best in baseball last year.

I jumped the gun on the HR... I retracted that... that's one helluva BAA at .289...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another Mike Pelfrey fun fact.. He was second in the league with 12 hit batters.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Believe it or not... Pelfrey actually tied for league league in DP balls induced.

I'm quick to jump the gun... OLD.. is my excuse or just not fit enough

yeah, I'm looking at GO/AO and BAA and WHIP.....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not defending the signing at all... I just want to make that clear. He does have some redeeming qualities though.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I see from his stats.. he is basically an older version of Rick Porcello.. lol.