• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puig has the arm for LF

Oh, I'm not questioning that. I will be questioning his laziness and decision making for when he should or shouldn't be hitting cut-off man and if he'll be too aggressive at the plate or some dumbass base-running error. The kid has the talent to be really good. He just needs a very good mentor and to get away from L.A. (Detroit may humble his ass).

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons why liked Smitty's idea of Leake so much and I'm sticking with that if Avila would go after him. Sanchez could easily be done at any given time and there's no telling which JV you're getting this upcoming season. Hopefully it's the JV we saw after mid-August through the end of the season. That would give you a SP of JV, Zimmerman and at least Leake (depending on whether Sanchez is healthy plus Norris as the #5 for now)
I think Iwakuma would be the most effective. Leake was a middle of the road pitcher in the NL... which means he probably is a back of the rotation starter in the AL.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Iwakuma would be the most effective. Leake was a middle of the road pitcher in the NL... which means he probably is a back of the rotation starter in the AL.

He did just fine for Cincy. He's young and still has a live arm which is more than I can speak of Sanchez, at the moment.

I'm not giving up on Leake.

Sorry man, ain't happening.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did just fine for Cincy. He's young and still has a live arm which is more than I can speak of Sanchez, at the moment.

I'm not giving up on Leake.

Sorry man, ain't happening.

I'm hardheaded like this. no turning back now, lol

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MiamiVice

? hhhmmm ?

The Tigers have expressed interest in a number of relievers, among them Ryan Madson, Shawn Kelley and Tommy Hunter.

the Tigers wouldn’t mind some internal competition for the spot -- prospects Matt Boyd and Michael Fulmer, as well as veteran Shane Greene could earn a look with a strong spring training -- but adding a bona fide starter with MLB experience is the desired option.

The Tigers made it clear they would not be in on the top-tier talent, but they managed to nab the next best thing in Zimmermann, who is just a year removed from finishing fifth in NL Cy Young Award voting. Now, they must turn their efforts toward finding a shrewd back end of the rotation option.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I think I proved that," Ilitch said when asked about his willingness to open the purse strings. "I've been in baseball for a lot of years. I didn't care about spending money. They get the players, and I spend, and I don't worry about it because they have good judgment."

His message to Avila this winter?

"I don't care about the money," he said. "I want the best players."

In fact, Ilitch admitted he'd be open to crossing the luxury tax threshold if the payroll continued to escalate and the market required such a commitment.

"Well, I'm supposed to be a good boy and not go over it, but again, if I'm gonna get certain players that can help us a lot, I'm going to go over it," he said before conceding this strategy was frowned upon. "Oops, I shouldn't have said that."

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please find a way to trade for Chapman. That type of move could solidify the BP for not only this year but years to come should they be able to extend Chapman

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers looking to add a starter and reliever

The Tigers likely will land another starting pitcher in free agency this winter, plus more than one relief pitcher — especially with the non-tenders of right-handers Al Alburquerque and Neftali Feliz on Wednesday. But how cheap and how quickly remains to be seen.

They aren’t said to be serious about another big-ticket option. “That’s probably our biggest signing of the winter, for sure,” Avila said after the team announced the signing of righty starter Jordan Zimmermann. But the willingness of longtime owner Mike Ilitch to keep his wallet open at least puts it into play.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers looking to add a starter and reliever

The Tigers likely will land another starting pitcher in free agency this winter, plus more than one relief pitcher — especially with the non-tenders of right-handers Al Alburquerque and Neftali Feliz on Wednesday. But how cheap and how quickly remains to be seen.

They aren’t said to be serious about another big-ticket option. “That’s probably our biggest signing of the winter, for sure,” Avila said after the team announced the signing of righty starter Jordan Zimmermann. But the willingness of longtime owner Mike Ilitch to keep his wallet open at least puts it into play.
Source: Detroit Tigers nearing deal with free-agent starting pitcher Mike Pelfrey

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure hope Avila goes out and gets another solid late inning reliever... because what he just signed for the back end of the rotation makes me throw up in my mouth.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't tell me the Tigers couldn't find a better pitcher for $8 mil. I'm sorry but if this was there price range... even a one year deal... you can't tell me there wasn't a better option out there than this bum.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I sure hope Avila goes out and gets another solid late inning reliever... because what he just signed for the back end of the rotation makes me throw up in my mouth.

:eek: :puke:

well, he sure as heck is going for low-end $$$ back of the rotation.
I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure he was talked about as a possibility for help last year when Simon and Greene were having difficulties.

See, this is what pisses me off when seeing them do something like this. I get the go on the cheap a little bit (2 years for 16M). He's another Boras guy so imagine that. I'd rather have Iwakuma over this guy and still would prefer Leake over either of those two. Watch and see what happens to Sanchez. This move will bite them in the ass.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope this deal works out for Avila but I expected more from him with the ability to find a better talent.

Good Gawd... WTF

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now its a 2 yr 16 mil deal? I am sorry.. but the Tigers could have gotten so much more value than this. They didn't need to move fast for a 5th starter. They could have waited out the market. What a crappy deal this is. I am sick to my stomach thinking this shit bag is going to be in the rotation for the next 2 years.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Avila is moving fast on everything.. which is fine for top end pitchers... but 4th or 5th starters will be available into February. There was no need to jump on this signing now. Pelfrey wasn't anywhere near close to being a hot ticket item. Nor is he a sure thing to eat innings. Not sure what the hurry was to sign this turd.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now its a 2 yr 16 mil deal? I am sorry.. but the Tigers could have gotten so much more value than this. They didn't need to move fast for a 5th starter. They could have waited out the market. What a crappy deal this is. I am sick to my stomach thinking this shit bag is going to be in the rotation for the next 2 years.

right there in black-n-white, Vice (from your M-Live article)

The Tigers are nearing a deal with free agent starting pitcher Mike Pelfrey, according to a source close to the situation. The two sides are discussing a two-year deal for $16 million, according to the New York Post's Joel Sherman.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no need to jump on this signing now

there was no need to jump on this at ALL. There were rumors going back to July that they were in pursuit of Iwakuma. I honestly could have accepted that signing but this one... GTFO