• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Reds are not getting a top prospect for him... not when he is only going to be controlled for 1 season.

they should've unloaded him at last years trade deadline. it was not an intelligent non-move on their part. would've liked to have had him then.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing in Moya may be overkill.

don't know enough about Moya other than him being a free swinging Dave Kingman type hitter without his power. maybe comes as he gets older just don't see why the fanfare. can't say I've watched him much at all either, tbh. mostly read about him.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
don't know enough about Moya other than him being a free swinging Dave Kingman type hitter without his power. maybe comes as he gets older just don't see why the fanfare. can't say I've watched him much at all either, tbh. mostly read about him.
Moya has god like power... the guy hit 35 HR in AA in 2014... in a league not known for HR. That was easily the league lead that year... the next closest guy had 23. There aren't but maybe 2 or 3 guys in all of the minors with the power he has. He also is a plus defender with a huge arm. When he gets to the MLB... he will hit HR.. if he can stick in a lineup. The only thing that really keeps him from being a real top tier difference maker right now is laying off pitches out of the strike zone. Believe me when I say this. If he figures out what a strike is and what a ball is.. He will be a legit all star. Its a HUGE IF. All the people that complain about him forget this.. he did not cost a high draft pick and he didn't sign a huge signing bonus... he basically came out of nowhere so if he ends up being anything.. the Tigers win big time. He maybe one of the Tigers highest rated prospects.. but as far as cost to the organization.. he cost very little.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recent non tenders that are now on the free agent market Tigers should snag

• Cishek from Marlins/Cards - value pick up that has closed 88 games and could easily fill a back of the rotation spot. Only 29.
  • Jacob Turner ( only 24 and a former top pick of the Tigers) - I would grab this kid asap and put him in the rotation in AAA toledo or possibly even the bullpen on the big league squad. He isn't going to cost much at all and still has a ton of potential.
  • Greg Holland
  • Yusmeiro Petit - was a back end starter for the Giants last year

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jacob Turner ( only 24 and a former top pick of the Tigers) - I would grab this kid asap and put him in the rotation in AAA toledo or possibly even the bullpen on the big league squad. He isn't going to cost much at all and still has a ton of potential.

That's how we got Sanchez and Infante. Turner and the catcher Brantley, I think. Turner has had his travels. I thought he was in St. Louis then onto the Cubs or something like that

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cishek from Marlins/Cards - value pick up that has closed 88 games and could easily fill a back of the rotation spot. Only 29.

I always liked Chisek but he kind of fell off last year and at the end of 2014

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's how we got Sanchez and Infante. Turner and the catcher Brantley, I think. Turner has had his travels. I thought he was in St. Louis then onto the Cubs or something like that
Marlins - Cubs - White Sox.

He had a elbow injury and hasn't pitched much. Tigers should sign him to a minor league contract.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always liked Chisek but he kind of fell off last year and at the end of 2014
He started off rough but ended really strong out of the Cards pen. Had a 2.13 ERA in like 20 innings for the Cards.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins just non tendered Henderson Alverez... Sign him NOW!!!!

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Despite questions surrounding the health of his shoulder, Alvarez figures to draw widespread interest on the free-agent market. He’s still just 25 years of age (26 in April) and pitched to a sparkling 2.98 ERA with 5.2 K/9, 1.9 BB/9 and a 53.6 percent ground-ball rate from 2013-14 when healthy in Miami (including a a no-hitter on the final day of the season in 2013).

Alvarez has just over four years of big league service under his belt, meaning that any club which signs him to a big league deal will be able to control him for not only the 2016 season but also the 2017 campaign, via the arbitration process. Alvarez has never been one to miss many bats, but he’s a well-regarded arm that could certainly slot into the middle of a big league rotation, so long as his shoulder allows him to do so.

This is from MLBTraderumors.com

I want the Tigers to sign this kid bad. He is a stud when healthy. I was at the No Hitter he threw against the Tigers in 2013.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers non-tendered my boy AL AL and Feliz.

I won't miss you New Mexico.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't miss Feliz. The guy is a meatball thrower.

Vice, you cannot deny the excitement that Feliz brought to the game. It was reminiscent of watching Valverde and his drama filled outings only Feliz couldn't lengthen the drama as well.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...some guys just aren't starter material.. but they can still be really good out of the pen. To be honest... The Tigers probably have about 5 guys in the minors that could come up and be really good out of the pen next year that are currently starting in AA or AAA.

As I've said, you can have three good pitches or two REALLY good pitches and do very well as a 1-inning guy. Wade Davis is a case in point. Couldn't cut it as a starter, but when he relies only on his two best pitches (cut fastball and knuckle-curve), he's lights-out. I think the Tigers have some SPs in the minors who simply haven't developed that third or fourth pitch that a starter needs.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Tigers have one more big move in them... it should be to add a decent starting pitcher or outfielder... Next year their isn't going to be much there to spend on.. and signing a bullpen arm just to do it is dumb. The only way the Tigers should add a bullpen arm is through a trade in my opinion...

100% agree -- If we have one more big FA move left, I want it to be another starter, not a reliever. On top of not being very good last season, the Tiger bullpen was way overused because the starters couldn't go deep in games. Let's be reasonably certain about the rotation going into ST, and take our chances rounding out the pen after K-Rod, Hardy, Wilson and VerHagen.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% agree -- If we have one more big FA move left, I want it to be another starter, not a reliever. On top of not being very good last season, the Tiger bullpen was way overused because the starters couldn't go deep in games. Let's be reasonably certain about the rotation going into ST, and take our chances rounding out the pen after K-Rod, Hardy, Wilson and VerHagen.
I want the Tigers to sign Henderson Alverez now that he was non tendered by the Marlins. He isn't going to be ready for the start of the season.. but the cost to sign him will be nothing.. and he could easily end up being a #2 or #3 caliber pitcher when he gets healthy.. He is only 25. If the Tigers really want to have good depth they make a signing like this.. stash him in AAA for the first month or two on rehab assignment...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers have guys like Kyle Ryan, Buck Farmer, Jeff Ferrell, Joe Mantiply, Chad Green, Paul Voelker, and Montreal Robertson that all could help in the pen next year. The AAA rotation isn't going to be able to hold all the guys like Lobstein, Greene, Ryan, Farmer, Cessa, Fulmer, Kubitza, Turley that are going to be vying for spots there and the #5 spot on the mlb roster. Basically.. Toledo is going to decide a lot about who stays in line to be a starter and who will work out of the pen. My guess is Kyle Ryan, Cessa, Shane Greene, Fulmer, and a minor league free agent signing that has MLB experience will fill the Toledo roster with Farmer and Chad Green moving to the pen from starting roles, along with Nesbit, Matiply, Voelker, and Montreal Robertson. Toledo's bullpen is going to be interesting next year. Curious to see who the closer is there. My guess is it will be Voelker. Tigers have a ton of young arms coming up this year. A TON. They drafted a ton of pitching in the last 3 drafts and it is all getting very close to being major league ready.. so Avila may just sign one more bull pen arm and let the rest shake out from the young guys. Voelker is going to be a solid reliever... So is Matiply. I think Farmer is better suited to the pen too... Cessa is probably a reliever too.. but I think they will keep him in a starting role in AAA for now.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really am going to be curious to see who is in the rotations in Erie and Toledo next year... The crap should be gone from AAA and the AA guys should move up or to the pen. There are guys from A ball that will be taking roster spots over in AA for sure... Really interesting to watch and see who gets converted to a reliever down there and who they stick with as a starter. They can't just keep everyone starting... and there are a ton of guys ready to move up.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Rondon was sent home last year early because of attitude and effort. Maybe the wake up call and a new pitching coach will get him straightened out?