• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Price and Dave Dombrowski agree to a 7 year 217M deal

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soria would be a decent piece... but 3 years and the 9 - 10 mil is a waste. I would rather see the Tigers get a bullpen piece through trade than any of the free agents available. This year's free agent stregth isn't bullpen.. its starters... and outfield. If you are going to spend this year... those are the areas with legit talent. I wouldn't be depressed if the Tigers signed another outfielder.

Heck... old man pizza is talking crazy about going over the tax line... if I was Avila I would strike while the old man has the wallet open.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok....what would u use for trade bait? If this way to go I'm all in....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castellanos actually adjusted nicely after July. His OBP was nearly 50 points higher after the All Star break. I wouldn't be surprised to see Castellanos hit .300 next year... Although I also wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .240 either.

I'd be thrilled if he hit .270, cut down his strikeouts, and upped his HRs to the 18-20 range.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling like the Tigers still need one more innings-eater type starter. You've got Verlander-Zimmermann-Sanchez as your 1-2-3 (with a full season of Sanchez always in doubt). Then you've got Norris, who I really don't see as a #4, because he'll likely have a max. innings limit. The most innings he's thrown in a season is 124 in the minor leagues. I could see the Tigers limiting him to about 150 this next season, which makes him better suited to a #5 role where they can skip his start now and then.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm feeling like the Tigers still need one more innings-eater type starter.

100% agreed here. especially when you factor in your following quote

(with a full season of Sanchez always in doubt)

even if medical reports (Vice quote) come back positive, they did come back positive last off-season for Sanchez and he had issues in training camp, early and late season, you're at a huge risk trying to find a quality starter after they've all signed elsewhere. It would be better spending money now and getting what you want from a quality FA than trusting some schlubb from our minor league system.. jmo.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be better spending money now and getting what you want from a quality FA than trusting some schlubb from our minor league system.. jmo.

Agreed. I think Vice's idea to convert some of the AAA starters to a relief role has merit, but we don't want the revolving door of "schlubbs", as you say, in the starting rotation. Had enough of that last season.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...even if medical reports (Vice quote) come back positive, they did come back positive last off-season for Sanchez and he had issues in training camp, early and late season,...

Anibal allowed 29 HR last season, the most in his career by far, and he only made 25 starts! He clearly wasn't himself, physically, all year. Lacked his usual movement on his pitches and seemed to tire out faster, and it showed in the stats.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anibal allowed 29 HR last season, the most in his career by far, and he only made 25 starts! He clearly wasn't himself, physically, all year. Lacked his usual movement on his pitches and seemed to tire out faster, and it showed in the stats.

exactly. point on with all above.

I had pointed out earlier in here that's it's 3 years running of him missing starts. In 2013 he missed about 3 weeks in late June to 1st part of July. In each of the last two years he's been shut down in mid to late August through end of September. I know he came back for a brief relief appearance in October 2014 playoff. When healthy (that's the 17M dollar question here) he keeps the ball down and therefore gives up minimal HR's plus he normally has good location. He didn't have any of that from the very beginning of the season last year. You knew there were lingering issues with that shoulder from the previous season. Two years in a row.

Get a true #3 SP just to be sure. Illitch doesn't care about money being spent when he states, "if they have to pay the luxury tax then so be it".

Sanchez comes up with issues again in spring training, regardless of what the current medical reports state, and he can't start the season or is out for a long period of time similar to JV last year, this team doesn't have the arms to stay in contention.

Get Mike Leake or Wei-Yin Chen, imo, to be on the safe side.

I don't want to see Fister either as he has had two successive years of arm/shoulder/nerve issues. enough of the injury plagued players/pitchers. (any pitcher that hasn't had an injury can come up with one but known players with relatively recent issues I'd stay away from

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry about that long a** diatribe of mine.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, Burf but I'm not counting on or discounting Greene out. I don't want to go into spring training on a hope and prayer anymore.

I know most or some of you have made valid points about Greene and his youth and health issues. I can see all of that. He had like 78 IP as a SP for the Yanks prior to coming to Detroit so there may be limitations with him too. IDK, I'm not anywhere near as versed as you guys.

Why take risks with possible limited IP by young SP when the door is possibly closing on JV, V-Mart, Kinsler and now Miggy having been injured with elongated absences the last two years running. JMO.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok....what would u use for trade bait? If this way to go I'm all in....
Tigers have plenty of trade bait to land a reliever... especially if its not a closer. I think they have the juice to land Chapman if they wanted. Their farm may not have a lot of high ceiling guys... but it most certainly has the pieces to land relief pitchers. Look at what K Rod cost... Bentancourt wasn't even a top 10 prospect in the Tigers system. He is a solid prospect but nothing that has future all star written over him. Sending out a guy like Labourt or Spencer Turnbull could easily land a decent bullpen arm... and if they were to send a package of something like Boyd, Moya, and Labourt to Cinci for Chapman.. they would probably get him. You have to remember that Chapman is getting 10 mil next year and is a free agent after... His price tag is no where near what Kimbrel's was. The question is does Avila want to trade away Boyd... because if he is willing to do that... he can get a pretty good reliever for him.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be thrilled if he hit .270, cut down his strikeouts, and upped his HRs to the 18-20 range.
Castellanos isn't to far from those numbers... I really wouldn't be surprised to see him hit .300 next year... The kid is still younger than most AAA players... He isn't even close to the age where most players click.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think Vice's idea to convert some of the AAA starters to a relief role has merit, but we don't want the revolving door of "schlubbs", as you say, in the starting rotation. Had enough of that last season.
Verhagen was a "schlubb"... as a reliever.. he has the potential to be very good. Tigers have more guys like him in the minors.. they just need to quit forcing a square peg through a round hole.. some guys just aren't starter material.. but they can still be really good out of the pen. To be honest... The Tigers probably have about 5 guys in the minors that could come up and be really good out of the pen next year that are currently starting in AA or AAA. Fulmer should come out of the pen if he is called up later in the year anyways.

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Greene will step up this year again there could be health issues. He started out great with the Tigers last season and he is young.
I totally agree with this. I don't think we saw the real Greene last year. He obviously was trying to pitch through an injury.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This years free agent class is loaded with quality starters and outfielders... The bullpen options suck. Next years free agent pool has no good starting pitching options... If the Tigers have one more big move in them... it should be to add a decent starting pitcher or outfielder... Next year their isn't going to be much there to spend on.. and signing a bullpen arm just to do it is dumb. The only way the Tigers should add a bullpen arm is through a trade in my opinion... I am not a fan of any of the free agent options... especially at their asking prices.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and if they were to send a package of something like Boyd, Moya, and Labourt to Cinci for Chapman.. they would probably get him.

Man, if that could happen I'd be ecstatic. I still want a true #3 SP, not via trade, but getting Chapman for those three. Yes Sir, bring it on.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, if that could happen I'd be ecstatic. I still want a true #3 SP, not via trade, but getting Chapman for those three. Yes Sir, bring it on.
I don't think its out of the realm of possibility. The Reds are not getting a top prospect for him... not when he is only going to be controlled for 1 season. They will be lucky to get a young lefty like Boyd, with a few middle of the road prospects... Heck... Throwing in Moya may be overkill.