• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2015 Thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fangraphs has Maybin as one of the 10 worst CF in baseball, last season. However, it was his worst defensive season of his career.

LLOYD is BACK! Tigers hired him to manager at Toledo. Could HE be the first in line if Ausmus is canned early????
Why do you put faith in those numbers iffy?

Honestly wondering, no slant.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether you like them or not, they are used evenly for all players. I will admit, there are probably only 2 or 3 people in the word who actually understand the math that goes into UZR and range factors, etc.....but it is an attempt to get farther than just counting errors and the occasional ESPN Play of the Week, when figuring out who is a good or poor fielder. For one thing, it considers in the fielders arm strength and accuracy....which actually can be measured, maybe not perfectly, but at least to a good degree. Check out the ARM rating of Maybin with oh...Adam Jones. If you just watch the two, you can see the difference....but in typical fielding "ratings" it is ignored.

Personally, I use metric ratings as a guide. I don't argue slight differences. Is Maybin better than Gose? Who knows? My view is neither are probably great, but neither are bums. Gose speed lets him make some great catches, but maybe watching every play he is involved in lowers his ranking? Are they both solid major league CFers? I suspect that if they hit over .250 and steal a few bases, they are. If they don't, then their fielding (lack of) ability might get more ''notice''.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't the deciding factor always the eye test by Muzzer....lol

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Using an experienced eye, I would not disregard the 'eye test'. However....when that 'eye' ranks Brennan Boesch and Andrew McCutchen as near equals....I'll take any Sabermetric algorithms you want to give me. :pound:

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I'm guessing when MLB.com said in 2011 that Maybin's defense in CF was "Gold Glove caliber", it was likely based on the eyeball test. I can't believe he's regressed that much.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. Using an experienced eye, I would not disregard the 'eye test'. However....when that 'eye' ranks Brennan Boesch and Andrew McCutchen as near equals....I'll take any Sabermetric algorithms you want to give me. :pound:
U are starting to sound a little like Vice....lol

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I'm guessing when MLB.com said in 2011 that Maybin's defense in CF was "Gold Glove caliber", it was likely based on the eyeball test. I can't believe he's regressed that much.

Fangraphs did say that 2015 was Maybin's worse year defensively....hopefully a downward spike and he'll move closer to normal in 2016?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex Avila signs with the White Sox. Glad for him that he'll be playing somewhere next season. Glad for us that it isn't here.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers sign Jordan Zimmermann details to come.
This is a big one....

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good signing, especially if they kept it under $120mil. This alone does not guarantee first place, but it gets the team closer. Two thirds of the outfield still does not impress me, the bullpen still needs an arm or two, and VMart will be expected to DH. Maybe a veteran starter to fill in the #5 slot/injury in rotation? (Doug Fister?)

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zimmerman is a great signing at that price. He is only 29.. making him one of the younger free agent starters... so 5 years isn't that bad. Plus they may have back loaded the deal to save money on the next season or two, to be able to add another late inning reliever... and pay a higher cost after VMart, Kinsler, and Sanchez come off the books.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers should still have enough cash in the bank to still sign a high end late inning reliever. I don't see a real urgent need to spend on a #5 starter at this point. You can get that at any time with a trade in season if needed. I am fine with a healthy Greene, Lobstein, Boyd, or Farmer starting the season as the #5 if it means the Tigers use the rest of the money for a reliable late inning reliever to go along with F Rod. Only way I think the Tigers should spend money on another starter is if they get a great deal or they are not comfortable with A Sanchez health.

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about Maybin. I think Avila is shooting for a buy low option... They are only going to be paying him 5.5 mil after the money the Braves threw in the deal.. so he basically is making what Davis made last year... If you asked me who I would rather have.. a 28 yr old Maybin or a 35 yr old Davis... I would have to roll the dice on the younger guy to have the more useful season. Maybin is just entering his prime... Davis is well out of his... But not sure how Maybin fits.. as he doesn't hit lefties that great... I am curious to see what direction Avila goes next. So far.. I like the fact he has an obvious plan and doesn't seem to be just doing what the media says he should.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way I think the Tigers should spend money on another starter is if they get a great deal or they are not comfortable with A Sanchez health.

that is the $17M question. Two years in a row he has had to be shelved with shoulder issues and he still had linger affects from 2014 when showing up for spring training. idk about Sanchez.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that is the $17M question. Two years in a row he has had to be shelved with shoulder issues and he still had linger affects from 2014 when showing up for spring training. idk about Sanchez.
Agreed... They obviously have the best idea of what is going on with him... if his outlook is a gamble.... they need to spend on another starter... if they are comfortable... they really don't need to spend on another starter for the back end. It would be nice if Farmer pulled his head out of his ass and lived up to the scouts predictions of him being a middle of the order starter... but I would not gamble on that either. I wouldn't expect to see Fulmer throw more than 50-70 innings of MLB ball this year... and I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of those innings are out of the bullpen. Tigers have guys like Farmer, Greene, Ryan, Lobstein, Boyd that will be the first ones up from AAA when a fill in for the rotation is needed...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe a veteran starter to fill in the #5 slot/injury in rotation? (Doug Fister?)

I would kind of like to see them roll with Wei-Yin Chen. A lefty like himself pitching in Comerica and not in hitter friendly Camden Yard could be beneficial, imo. He's young and doesn't have a lot of wear and tear plus he can give you 30 GS with an average of 6+ IP per. Maybe those two years of high rate HR goes down. He's had a decent WHIP and declining ERA the last two years.

I'm not as savvy as many of you; Smitty, Burf, Howie, Iffy and Vice, but I'd like to believe he could be a good fit

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice if Farmer pulled his head out of his ass and lived up to the scouts predictions of him being a middle of the order starter... but I would not gamble on that either

:pound:

there's always hope Vice. but like you said, just don't count/gamble on it. same goes with Anibal. I was saying to Smitty and Gandy back in June that I didn't trust Sanchez' health up to that point and wouldn't doubt it if he had more shoulder issues again. Welp, he did and the HR's given up by him and not being able to locate his pitches were all a tell-tale sign back in April-June.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would kind of like to see them roll with Wei-Yin Chen. A lefty like himself pitching in Comerica and not in hitter friendly Camden Yard could be beneficial, imo. He's young and doesn't have a lot of wear and tear plus he can give you 30 GS with an average of 6+ IP per. Maybe those two years of high rate HR goes down. He's had a decent WHIP and declining ERA the last two years.

I'm not as savvy as many of you; Smitty, Burf, Howie, Iffy and Vice, but I'd like to believe he could be a good fit
He would be a great fit.. but investing another 75 mil or so into a starter isn't happening for a guy that would be at best a middle of the order guy. Spending big for #4 or #5 starters doesn't leave much money for other things.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

there's always hope Vice. but like you said, just don't count/gamble on it. same goes with Anibal. I was saying to Smitty and Gandy back in June that I didn't trust Sanchez' health up to that point and wouldn't doubt it if he had more shoulder issues again. Welp, he did and the HR's given up by him and not being able to locate his pitches were all a tell-tale sign back in April-June.
At this point... I would take Farmer turning into a reliable bullpen arm ala Verhagen.