• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No bad feelings here, was simply pointing out how that looked. Anyhow I have made quite a few posts either here or on the AL central smack talk thread indicating that altough I think their lineup, rotation and pen are all weaker due to offseason moves they will still take the division based on not much competition and still bolstering a very strong squad. That is where the original confusion came from as to why you would ask if I was betting against them as I clearly am not.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not that bright to keep track of everyone on this thread and I try to stay away from the smack thread. Because tone can be difficult (for me) to assess on the internet, I try to respond to what is written in black and white.
I will say that I do not think the lineup, BP, or SP will be weaker this year, only different. It is hard for me to explain why I think that their lineup will be stronger despite scoring fewer run but I do think that.
Weren't you going to Oahu?

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was going to go to oahu but my family and I decided on key largo this year and it was amazing. Not nearly as incredible as waikiki but nonetheless it was beautiful in its own right. Maybe head back to hawaii next year. I miss the hell out of it. I was more hesitant to say their linep would be weaker but its hard not to when you take out such a formidable force in the middle of the lineup in fielder and replace him with essentially an ajax clone at the top of the lineup. Miggy had his best years with tha kind of production and now fans will see if it was due to prince, miggy hitting his prime or a combination of both. Either way, if kinsler does anything in the playoffs he is an upgrade over prince and in the end thats what matters.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miggy had his best years with tha kind of production and now fans will see if it was due to prince, miggy hitting his prime or a combination of both.
If Miggy returns to his 2005-11 production level, I am ok with that. If he falls off from that level I don't think you can blame it on Prince's departure.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Miggy returns to his 2005-11 production level, I am ok with that. If he falls off from that level I don't think you can blame it on Prince's departure.

If his numbers decline to pre prince numbers of course you can blame it on that. Anyhow I should probaly let you know Ive been anti prince since day one and was ecstatic when they traded him because of that ridiculous contract..before you go and assume Im upset hes gone, lol.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his numbers decline to pre prince numbers of course you can blame it on that. Anyhow I should probaly let you know Ive been anti prince since day one and was ecstatic when they traded him because of that ridiculous contract..before you go and assume Im upset hes gone, lol.
hahaha. Miggy's drop to pre-Prince numbers isn't a very far drop. Other than his HR's, there really isn't much of a difference.
I liked Prince but I hated the style of baseball the Tigers played with him there. If it had just been him and Miggy it would have been ok but add in Peralta, VMart, etc., and the team was difficult for me to watch.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did not know that! John mcginley guest starred on an episode of frasier as a plumber. (dr. Cox from scrubs). Its always cool to watch a show and see someone guest starring on it before they blow up in something else.

I didn't know, but I love that stuff.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 stolen bases today already fellas! THREE! We even scored a run without a hit earlier. Im going to like the new approach, I can feel it in my bones.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two out, two run double from Hernan Perez in the ninth, gives the Tigs the lead. And now it's pouring rain....

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i seen today the fister trade was ranked as the worst off season move this year

The trade was couched as clearing some salary for the future, but if that was the case -- Fister isn't due to make a crapload in 2014 -- why not wait until the trade deadline and pillage a contending team that's desperate for a starter? That's where I'm baffled.

If ajax hits 5th, expect miggy to be walked 200 times....

If the lineup is Miggy 3, Vmart 4, and Ajax 5, I can't see how Ajax's presence affects Miggy being walked. And the 2011 Miggy did very will with Vmart hitting .330 behind him. Not triple crown numbers, but very well.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The trade was couched as clearing some salary for the future, but if that was the case -- Fister isn't due to make a crapload in 2014 -- why not wait until the trade deadline and pillage a contending team that's desperate for a starter? That's where I'm baffled.

If the lineup is Miggy 3, Vmart 4, and Ajax 5, I can't see how Ajax's presence affects Miggy being walked. And the 2011 Miggy did very will with Vmart hitting .330 behind him. Not triple crown numbers, but very well.

Im just saying 2011 was 3 yrs ago.....if ajax bats 5th.....i would pitch around miggy....take my chances with vmart, who lacks clean up power and is a yr older......if he gets a hit....miggy most likely stops at 2nd....then you have ajax the K machine and avila, nicky c, dirks or however the 5-9 is put together hitting in the clutch...im still saying we NEED a clutch hitter to hit 5th.....i would prefer kinsler since he has more pop then ajax...

In 2011 the tigers lineup was more solid from 1-9 also...i have no trust in avila, dirks, iggy, or ajax when it comes to the plate..i still think nicky c is the wild card....he needs to hit and take over the 5 hole by years end....unless one of those other players has a career year the way avila did a few years back.

Once again i still think detroit wins central unless kc puts it together....but they are not better than last year. I heard joba might be the set up man? Joba and coke make for one big fan headache.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 stolen bases today already fellas! THREE! We even scored a run without a hit earlier. Im going to like the new approach, I can feel it in my bones.

I read that Vmart had one SB.....WTF is that about? Maybe JL should have tried it....JL wouldn't even try it with a real game on the line, and Ausmus does it in ST game.......Polar opposites and I'm loving it.......

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.i still think nicky c is the wild card....he needs to hit and take over the 5 hole by years end..

I think Castellanos will be fine and could easily handle the #5 spot. I think the only roadblock is if he puts too much pressure on himself and gets of to a bad start. Regardless, I think Hunter will be in the #5 spot to open the season. I get the feeling that Ausmus likes speed at the top of his lineup.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Vmart had one SB.....WTF is that about? Maybe JL should have tried it....JL wouldn't even try it with a real game on the line, and Ausmus does it in ST game.......Polar opposites and I'm loving it.......

Did Victor have the third one!?! Thats craziness. First hes going to catch a few games, now hes going to run the bases too. Davis had two, Im gonna love that dude. Kinda thinking he'll hit leadoff, or maybe second. Tui, DK and Worth all played today also. Gonna be interesting to see how the final couple roster spots shake out.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2011 the tigers lineup was more solid from 1-9 also.
2011: ................................................ 2014:
C Avila .295/.385..............................Avila
1B Mig. Cabrera .344/448 .............. Mig. Cabrera
2B Ram. Santiago .260/.311..............Ian Kinsler
SS J Peralta .345/.478 ......................J Iglesisas
3B B Inge .197/.265 ........................Castellanos
LF B Bosch .283/.341 .......................Dirks
CF A Jackson .249/.317.................... A Jackson
RF M Ordonez .255/303 ................... T Hunter
DH V Martinez .330/.380................... V Martinez

The above comparison seems to dispute your theory. Looking at it solely om the offensive side of the ball. I see the '14 squad as having an edge at 2B,3B,LF, and RF. I also think the '14 version of AJ is better than the '11 version. The only advantage the '11 Tigers had offensively is Peralta and it is a big one. Assuming the injury bug stays away, this years team looks much better (on paper) to me. Speed, OBP and baserunning are big edges while the '11 squad had the advantage in power. I also like our bench with Davis, Lombardozzi, and DK.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or....maybe the 2011 SP was better. The 3 than remain are JV, Max and RP, so lets compare the two newer starters

2011 had Brad Penny and Phil Coke (replace by Fister after the trade)
2014 has Sanchez and Smyly

Advantage 2014

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would prefer kinsler since he has more pop then ajax...

Maybe 3 years ago, but as you pointed out, "2011 was three years ago." Slugging percentages for the two:

Kinsler
2011: .477
2012: .423
2013: .413

Jackson:
2011: .374
2012: .479
2013: .417

Ajax had 10 triples and 16 homers in 2012. He had 7 triples and 12 HR last year, but only played 129 games because of injuries. He's easily 15+ in a full season. Then consider that Ajax plays half his games in the spacious CoPa, while Kinsler played half of his in that matchbox they call a stadium in Texas, and I'm not convinced Kinsler has more power. Ajax's power appears to be on the rise, while Ian's is declining.

The bigger issue is Austin's strikeout rate, which is roughly double Kinsler's. I do agree that's an issue.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more I like AJ, Iggy and Kinsler hitting in the 9-1-2 spots ahead of Miggy. I think who hits where is determined by who is hotter at the time but I like Kinsler in the #2 spot. I wonder if Hunter would have issues getting moved to the #5 spot.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hahaha. Miggy's drop to pre-Prince numbers isn't a very far drop. Other than his HR's, there really isn't much of a difference.
I liked Prince but I hated the style of baseball the Tigers played with him there. If it had just been him and Miggy it would have been ok but add in Peralta, VMart, etc., and the team was difficult for me to watch.

It was enough to be pretty noticeable. He went from being one of the best hitters to the top hitter on the planet. Agree with your second sentence except that I dont lke prince.

Last edited by a moderator: