• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to think of all the energy I wasted un-hiding your post.

Liar. Why do you always go the "I don't know who you are" or "I've blocked you" route? You give shit, you get it back. There's only 15 or so of us that talk on this board, most everyone has been around for years. (CBS). C'mon man.....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seen today where they said miggy could bat 4th because lack of power on this team....putting hunter in the 3 hole since he had the 2nd most HR's last year from returning tigers. Ajax, kinsler, hunter, miggy, vmart.......vmart prefers to bat 5th the article said.

Still think detroit will win the central, but i dont think they got better....

Royals will be only team to contend...maybe sox if abreu hits like a monster and sale continues his dominance...injuns are a joke....got worse this offseason....and twins are still a few yrs away...

SouthSiders could be sneaky. I thought they'd be decent last year, they stunk. But they added some young bats and they can't be as awful in the field again this year.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Liar. Why do you always go the "I don't know who you are" or "I've blocked you" route? You give shit, you get it back. There's only 15 or so of us that talk on this board, most everyone has been around for years. (CBS). C'mon man.....
Smitty, I have tried to keep my thoughts and opinions restricted to the topic of the thread. I will, however, respond to personal slights if I feel it is necessary. I looked back on the thread and couldn't find one instance where I attacked someone unprovoked. If you are inferring that I should ignore the provocative jabs, you are probably right. Please accept my apologies and I will try to do better in the future. I enjoy the differences of opinions regarding the immediate future of the Tigers and hopefully that will continue but I will not participate in the mudslinging.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also scherzer was a dback not a red I believe and he started his career 8-0 there if I recall correctly.

Scherzer started out a Dback, yes, but not 8-0. He was 0-4 his first season, and 9-11 the next.

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to vent. But United sucks. Plane delayed at metro for an hour, now sitting in dulles (washington) trying to get to spring training ( well actually golf).

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rick had several disastrous outings and if you factor those out he had a nice year.

I saw the column that said two outings would have dropped his era significantly.

The fact the Tigers improved their infield is going to make Rick a lot of money IMO.

I am thinking the Tigers have a lot riding on Joba Chamberlain. Detroit will need to win the 4-3 games this season and the setup guy will be huge. I honestly think if Detroit's pen is solid they win more games this season than last year. Defense and speed will help offset any loss of power.

And as much as I hated the Fister deal Detroit needed to get a lefty in the rotation.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thinking the Tigers have a lot riding on Joba Chamberlain. Detroit will need to win the 4-3 games this season and the setup guy will be huge. I honestly think if Detroit's pen is solid they win more games this season than last year. Defense and speed will help offset any loss of power.
Good observation. I would like to see him used as a guy that pitches 1-2 innings and can get a close game to Rondon for the eighth, and subsequently Nathan for the ninth. I hope he doesn't turn into a one out type of guy.
If their health is similar to last year, I see no reason they can't win more than 90+ games. I saw an interesting stat a while back. I think the Tigers were over .500 vs non-divisional opponents only once in the last four years. I would like to see that change.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to vent. But United sucks. Plane delayed at metro for an hour, now sitting in dulles (washington) trying to get to spring training ( well actually golf).
I feel your pain. airlines have reduced the number of flights to increase occupancy to the point that if one thing goes wrong somewhere, you are screwed. I don't think the problems are limited to United. I always make it a point to book non-stop if possible regardless of the cost.
Have fun!

adrian2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks. should be in FLA by 8 or 9. Fortunately have my laptop in my carry on. crossing my fingers my clubs do not get lost.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel your pain. airlines have reduced the number of flights to increase occupancy to the point that if one thing goes wrong somewhere, you are screwed. I don't think the problems are limited to United. I always make it a point to book non-stop if possible regardless of the cost.
Have fun!

Years ago I had the chance to take an Air Marshall job when they had the big post 9/11 hiring binge. I turned it down the thought of spending 40+ hours flying and in airports actually made me feel sick when thinking about taking that job.

Airports always made me feel like I was at the In-Laws for the Holidays…Shitty food, bad conversations, finding myself getting drunk to pass the time and wishing I was home!

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Years ago I had the chance to take an Air Marshall job when they had the big post 9/11 hiring binge. I turned it down the thought of spending 40+ hours flying and in airports actually made me feel sick when thinking about taking that job.

Airports always made me feel like I was at the In-Laws for the Holidays…Shitty food, bad conversations, finding myself getting drunk to pass the time and wishing I was home!

Ya but it's about location location location.:laugh3:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never minded flying before 9/11. I remember leaving downtown Chicago at 3:00 on a Friday and having no problem making it on the 3:45 to Vegas out of a MDW.

Now, the thought of airports makes me want to vomit.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problems flying.......If someone does something stupid just bust him in the ass regardless if he has a box cutter....Sure you will cut, but be a hero afterwards.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No problems flying.......If someone does something stupid just bust him in the ass regardless if he has a box cutter....Sure you will cut, but be a hero afterwards.
Not box cutters I'm afraid of, Fuzzy. I'm terrified of security lines that would embarrass Disneyland. I'm scared of departure times that change more frequently than my wife changes shoes. I'm scared of plane seats that don't quite hold the jelly roll of the woman in the mumu sitting next to me.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Airlines motos should be we are doing more with less!

Air Trans bent me over with their over booking policy. Not to mention feeding a family of 4 in an airport waiting for openings cos me about $200 but that did include my bar bill….come to think of it that may have just been my bar bill.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit will need to win the 4-3 games this season and the setup guy will be huge. I honestly think if Detroit's pen is solid they win more games this season than last year. Defense and speed will help offset any loss of power.

Good point, and as I recall, the Tigers did poorly in 1-run games and in extra innings last season. Minus Fister and minus some power, they'll have to win more close games in 2014, IMO.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall (accurately, I hope) sabermetrics estimated the Tigers should have won 101-102 games last year based on their stats. The reason they underperformed is obvious, they lost a lot of close games. I expect this team to do much better in those situations and hopefully win 95+.
In 2013, they were 6 games under .500 in 1-run games and 7 games under in xtra innings (probably a little overlap there)

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always fly Southwest.....Detroit to Fla. No luggage cost for 2 bags

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scherzer started out a Dback, yes, but not 8-0. He was 0-4 his first season, and 9-11 the next.

Holy shit, haha what dback am i thinking of then?