• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill be honest, Im probably negatively biased toward both...because I dont think trading stud pitchers for mediocre players is ever a good idea.

This.:agree:.........Fister was proven through the season when we picked him up.....Maxie Poo had maturing to do before he did what he did last year. DD wasn't a genius the first few years we got Max.....He is after last year.

I still don't like the Fister trade, Hope I'm wrong, spring ball right around the corner.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill be honest, Im probably negatively biased toward both...because I dont think trading stud pitchers for mediocre players is ever a good idea.

Tiger fans just need to get over it. Fister is no longer a Tiger. Part of the reason for that is unrelated to the on-field talents of those involved in the trade. Even if Robbie Ray becomes an All-Star, I still won't think the trade was a wise one when made. We just all need to forget about it and whine about the players that are here (sounds like many have already started on just that with regards to Krol-Lombardozzi).

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im really looking forward to Rajai. For years we only seemed to see slow, softball plodders brought in to man the corner spots. This is season 15 at Comerica(crazy huh?) and were starting to finally see emphasis on outfield defense and speed. Im pretty pumped about Ramon Santiago being on a different roster too.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I am moving on and hoping DD knew something. He did identify Scherzer as a top young pitcher as well as Fister. So I have faith Ray will follow suit.

I never believe following another teams blue print is a good idea. But I like a better 1-25 like the Red Sox than how the Tigers were built last year.

I agree with Jalopy Davis adds a late inning SB threat and defensive replacement. Although hate the idea he would be more than a platoon guy if needed to be.

Guess im one of the negative ones....even tho i was labeled a tiger homer in the smack talk thread last year....

I just dont think we fixed the BP...like mlive stated....were going to war with phil fuckin coke and a guy named krol as our left handed relievers. Hoping rondon all of a sudden figures it out....adding joba the hutt....but hey....we got nathan...lets hope the tigers can get to the 9th...

Also we are one injury away from our starters to be in trouble....will smyly last a whole season starting? He wore down last year.

I just dont get the raji davis love. Never been a fan of his....speed to pinch run late in the games? We used to have berry who never got caught stealing. But trust me, if davis does well, ill eat my crow.....but right now my eyes are on coke, davis, and castellano.......thats who ill complain about if they dont handle their biz.....avila gets a pass since he calls a good game.

As far as DD identifying scherzer and fisters talent? Scherzer was a young stud with cincy with control problems and fister had a good ERA with low run support in seattle....it wasnt like DD took a chance on a minor leaguer....hell i was happy as hell when we got scherzer...i was just pissed about losing grandy.

Just think detroit shouldve gave last years team one more year.....they couldve unloaded fielder anytime around a trade deadline. They ate money anyways....just wish they wouldve kept the team and added nathan.

Remember if the BP didnt blow game 2, we might be talking about the returning champs instead of lets hope this is the year. Only time will tell if this team is better than last years team.....i still say NO......

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a fans right, to bitch and complain or praise and brag....If it's good then all hail DD, if it's bad changes need to be made........Why else would anyone be on a sports board?

Yeah i know. Were on a sports forum....we come here with our opinions....i find it funny if youre not all rah rah team on here, youre labeled negative fan....just like on the lions boards...

I find it funny, that the fans that now love this team and call out negative fans, were the negative ones last year blasting fielder and the "fat slow" team.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even tho i hated the fister trade....DD is my favorite tiger..

I brought this up last year when everyone was worrying about fielders contract and the need to resign miggy.....do we really wanna pay miggy 25 mil a year when hes 35-37? Dont get me wrong, i want miggy to be a tiger but do you want him in 4-5 years? At that price?

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves I get the question on Miggy. I would think Detroit will do everything possible to sign him. He has been a very good team mate. Willing to switch positions and then back. He has had some off field issues but I can say he has been the one guy you can count on being productive year in and out.

With that being said I could see a situation where he prices himself out of the Tigers price range. I would hate for him to be let go even in his early 30s but I think building a better 1-25 is the wave of the future. Staying away from the budget busters may change the way teams negotiate contracts in the future.

IMO Lombardozzi is better than Santiago. And Davis is better than last years mess. I agree with you I have no love for him as an everyday player but I think he is a better player than say Quinton Berry. I think he has some good tools for a platoon late inning/pinch runner guy.

As for Fielder I think he will have a monster year. I also think the problems with his wife effected him more than people want to think. He needed a change of scenery, whatever transpired with his wife and his divorce effected him. It's very possible he wanted to leave Detroit and staying would not have helped him turn around.

If you buy into that. Fielder was unhappy in Detroit due to personal issues I think D did a great job getting something for him while helping him change his scenery.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even tho i hated the fister trade....DD is my favorite tiger..

I brought this up last year when everyone was worrying about fielders contract and the need to resign miggy.....do we really wanna pay miggy 25 mil a year when hes 35-37? Dont get me wrong, i want miggy to be a tiger but do you want him in 4-5 years? At that price?

No need to resign the big fella till they have to. And then, overpay him for 3-4 years. If his groin/hip/ab injury doesn't get better..... well.... that'd suck, but it wouldnt cripple the franchise.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just remembered Lloyd McClendon is the Mariners manager. Hahahahahaha. :laugh3:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves I get the question on Miggy. I would think Detroit will do everything possible to sign him. He has been a very good team mate. Willing to switch positions and then back. He has had some off field issues but I can say he has been the one guy you can count on being productive year in and out.

With that being said I could see a situation where he prices himself out of the Tigers price range. I would hate for him to be let go even in his early 30s but I think building a better 1-25 is the wave of the future. Staying away from the budget busters may change the way teams negotiate contracts in the future.

jd, I think a lot depends on where the Tigers are at when forced to make a decision on Miggy. If Cleaves is right and Castellanos, Kinsler, Dirk, Rondon, and Robbie Ray all flame out, the Tigers will be in a rebuilding mode and Miggy would probably be more than happy to move on to the highest bidder. On the other hand, if the Tiger's world doesn't implode and they remain competitive, it will depend on how healthy Miggy remains and his level of production amongst other things (Illitch).

I agree with you on Fielder. It was one of those rare instances where are trade actually will benefit bot teams. It would be great to see the two meet in the playoffs. Texas power vs Tigers (dare I say it) speed.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i know. Were on a sports forum....we come here with our opinions....i find it funny if youre not all rah rah team on here, youre labeled negative fan....just like on the lions boards...

I find it funny, that the fans that now love this team and call out negative fans, were the negative ones last year blasting fielder and the "fat slow" team.

Cleaves, you can stop with the self pity at any point. Most posts that I have read aren't calling you out for being negative, they simply are saying that the facts you are using to support your position don't add up. As for myself, I try to read through posts for opinions that are well articulated and thought out. When you feel slighted and get agitated you don't quite clear that hurdle.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO Lombardozzi is better than Santiago. And Davis is better than last years mess. I agree with you I have no love for him as an everyday player but I think he is a better player than say Quinton Berry. I think he has some good tools for a platoon late inning/pinch runner guy.

As for Fielder I think he will have a monster year. I also think the problems with his wife effected him more than people want to think. He needed a change of scenery, whatever transpired with his wife and his divorce effected him. It's very possible he wanted to leave Detroit and staying would not have helped him turn around.

If you buy into that. Fielder was unhappy in Detroit due to personal issues I think D did a great job getting something for him while helping him change his scenery.

:10:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleaves, you can stop with the self pity at any point. Most posts that I have read aren't calling you out for being negative, they simply are saying that the facts you are using to support your position don't add up. As for myself, I try to read through posts for opinions that are well articulated and thought out. When you feel slighted and get agitated you don't quite clear that hurdle.

Self pity? Are you iffy part 2?

The facts? I laughed at tiger fans that said kinsler WILL get on base more than fielder....and called them delirious. And you were offended when i wasnt even talking about you....

I think miggy will be walked a ton having a slow singles hitter behind him and a 5-9 that is average at best....

I dont see why people are in love with raji davis because hes fast....

I dont see how fans think kinslers elite now that hes a tiger....just look at his stats the last 5 years....

Im not sold on kroll or coke being the answer as the lefty go to guy....what stats do you want...

I dont trust rondon or ALAL.....also scared of smyly moving to rotation without a back up plan....

I dont know why the tigers gave joba anything....someone in the minors can do what he does...

Whos going to leadoff? I bet we end up with ajax back there since kinsler is going to be needed to hit 5th unless castellanos proves me wrong....which i hope since i have a few castellanos rookie cards stacked up.

I dont know what you want me to post for these so called facts since they are my opinions....looking at your posts, you seem to like to talk down to others like iffy did.....dont self pity me.....lets just wait for the year to play out and we will see if this team is better....

I think....MY OPINION....so dont blow a gasket.....is the tigers will still win the central unless KC puts a whole year together.....and lose in the first round.....if teams take my advice and walk miggy a ton....put him on first, knowing hes not going first to third on a single....and 5-9 has to prove to come up with big hits...then it will be a longer year than most tiger fans are expected....we better hope the SP repeats last year...

No power
5-9 in the lineup
Bullpen
Lack of depth at SP in case of injury

Those will be this teams achilles heal.....but we got raji speed demon davis to pick up the slack.....were good.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No need to resign the big fella till they have to. And then, overpay him for 3-4 years. If his groin/hip/ab injury doesn't get better..... well.... that'd suck, but it wouldnt cripple the franchise.

I agree....wait til the last minute so we dont get stuck with pujols part 2.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Raburn, Leyland and Lamont all suck.....That's my opinion......I don't really want to expound or articulate on it though.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Self pity? Are you iffy part 2? I am relatively new around here but will assume this is an attempt at an insult. I will say that iffy seemed to have the capability contribute but was tangentially challenged.

The facts? I laughed at tiger fans that said kinsler WILL get on base more than fielder....and called them delirious. And you were offended when i wasnt even talking about you.... Doesn't matter who you were trying to insult, why do it? Kinsler overtaking Fielder in OBP is within one standard deviation of happening. Not unrealistic but, I agree, unlikely.

I think miggy will be walked a ton having a slow singles hitter behind him and a 5-9 that is average at best..Yeah, station to station ball is dead. Miggy's IBB's will increase.

I dont see why people are in love with raji davis because hes fast..From what I know and from what I've read, he fits the Tigers needs and is insurance for Dirks. Hard to be in love with a player that won't be penciled in on a regular basis.

I dont see how fans think kinslers elite now that hes a tiger....just look at his stats the last 5 years....He is a top 5 MLB 2B. I don't know if that makes him good but I am excited to have him for his overall game. He does have weaknesses.

Im not sold on kroll or coke being the answer as the lefty go to guy....what stats do you want...Krol doesn't have any and Coke doesn't have many positive ones.

I dont trust rondon or ALAL.....also scared of smyly moving to rotation without a back up plan....I don't get this. Rondon was put in a pressure situation and didn't live up to expectations. The bar is lowered and he has pitched well in streches. No reason to think he can't do it. Could care less about AlAl.

I dont know why the tigers gave joba anything....someone in the minors can do what he does...Who?

Whos going to leadoff? I bet we end up with ajax back there since kinsler is going to be needed to hit 5th unless castellanos proves me wrong....which i hope since i have a few castellanos rookie cards stacked up. In a perfect world, AJ retakes the spot and cuts down on his K's. If not, Kinsler will be adequate but not perfect for the spot.

I dont know what you want me to post for these so called facts since they are my opinions....looking at your posts, you seem to like to talk down to others like iffy did.....dont self pity me.....lets just wait for the year to play out and we will see if this team is better....I'm talking to an avatar. Nothing up or down. I post my opinions and try to support them as best I can.

I think....MY OPINION....so dont blow a gasket.....is the tigers will still win the central unless KC puts a whole year together.....and lose in the first round.....if teams take my advice and walk miggy a ton....put him on first, knowing hes not going first to third on a single....and 5-9 has to prove to come up with big hits...then it will be a longer year than most tiger fans are expected....we better hope the SP repeats last year...That is called hedging. You can use that prognosis to support almost any outcome. Predicting a 1st round loss is beyond silly. Quality teams win divisions.

No power
5-9 in the lineup
Bullpen
Lack of depth at SP in case of injury

Those will be this teams achilles heal.....but we got raji speed demon davis to pick up the slack.....were good.So good you are predicting a division title. A team with a quality leadoff hitter, no power, very thin bullpen, suspect starting pitching, and unproven rookies at key positions DO NOT win divisions. That is what I mean about your opinions not being consistent.

This is fun!

J

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Self pity? Are you iffy part 2? I am relatively new around here but will assume this is an attempt at an insult. I will say that iffy seemed to have the capability contribute but was tangentially challenged.

Stopped reading after this, You are no where near relatively new around here. You are well known from the CBS boards as a troll.....

Some stuff you post is good stuff, but then you go right back to your USC mentality and fuck it up.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stopped reading after this, You are no where near relatively new around here. You are well known from the CBS boards as a troll.....

Some stuff you post is good stuff, but then you go right back to your USC mentality and fuck it up.

I regretting it almost the second I un-hid this post. When was the last time you actually contributed to a conversation pertaining to the subject at hand?