• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think its crazy...I prefer fister over sanchez all things considered. Sanchez did great last year but overall his ERA is not impressive and he sure costs a prett penny. Thats why I was scratching my head so much that it wasnt too long ago they traded their top prospect for starting pitching, signed sanchez to a monster deal and now turned around and traded a stud for a prospect?
Yeah, I would think the Tigers regret that deal a bit. Considering the cost differential, the better value is not even close between Sanchez and Fister

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know if Hernan Perez can play SS? Seems like Iggy's shin splints are going to be a factor. I think his bat is a year or two from being MLB ready but it seems like his glove can suffice in a pinch.

He's played short before. Not sure how well. (Like what Ive seen from him at second, nice hands, quick feet.) Him, Lombardozzi or Worth,...... with only Lombardozzi being a sure thing to make the roster. Hope Iggy doesn't remain an injury concern, hate to see the Fister deal end up being for a starting shortstop.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played short before. Not sure how well. (Like what Ive seen from him at second, nice hands, quick feet.) Him, Lombardozzi or Worth,...... with only Lombardozzi being a sure thing to make the roster. Hope Iggy doesn't remain an injury concern, hate to see the Fister deal end up being for a starting shortstop.
Iglesias has battled shin splints for much of his young career. The fact that we are seeing sings of them in spring training pretty much guarantees they will be an issue. I've had them. They are one of the most frustrating injuries out there.

I think a lot of people will measure the Fister trade by comparing his season to Smyly's. For me, it would be more accurate to compare Fister to Porcello since that was how DD wanted to originally do the deal with. Smyly was going to be a SP this year no matter what.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shins splints are no fun at all. Saw just about every Tigers game back in '04, with my feet elevated and ice bags on my legs. It's going to be unfortunate no matter how people choose to decide to judge that deal. So long as they do the judging this year anyway. Isn't often that DD makes moves that aren't intended for immediate returns, this was deal was different. Will be several seasons from now before we know which end of the deal we got. And by then, who knows what the rest of the roster will look like.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Smyly-Porcello. Unlike most seasons, Detroit has an early stretch of 5+ games without an off day. (At home, games 2-6). I wonder if the rotation will be set and locked in from the start or....... if we'll see tinkering, with guys working out if the pen, or guys getting to put in wirk in Toledo. There's a quick WestCoast NL road trip,(April 8th-13th. Off days on the 7th,10th and 14th) with plenty of off days, would be nice to have extra position players. (Im way ahead of myself here, just thinking out loud...)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Smyly-Porcello. Unlike most seasons, Detroit has an early stretch of 5+ games without an off day. (At home, games 2-6). I wonder if the rotation will be set and locked in from the start or....... if we'll see tinkering, with guys working out if the pen, or guys getting to put in wirk in Toledo. There's a quick WestCoast NL road trip,(April 8th-13th. Off days on the 7th,10th and 14th) with plenty of off days, would be nice to have extra position players. (Im way ahead of myself here, just thinking out loud...)

I don't see Detroit going 5 straight games at home without a ppd in April. If everyone is healthy, I think the Tigers will stick with a 5-man rotation and give the guys extra days off.

If I get the chance, I will shoot down to Chavez Ravine with the kid when the Tigers are in town. I like the match-up between these two teams and it is a potential WS review. Would love it if JV and Kershaw tangle.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That'd be a great series to watch. Hope you get a chance to catch a game man. Definitely a WS possibility. It's those types of series that make make me like inter league. (Aside from close proximity matchups)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iglesias has battled shin splints for much of his young career. The fact that we are seeing sings of them in spring training pretty much guarantees they will be an issue. I've had them. They are one of the most frustrating injuries out there.

I think a lot of people will measure the Fister trade by comparing his season to Smyly's. For me, it would be more accurate to compare Fister to Porcello since that was how DD wanted to originally do the deal with. Smyly was going to be a SP this year no matter what.

I wont compare fisters season to smylys. Fister should have a much better season. Hes an established stud while smyly is a youngster that will have endurance questions. The fister trade also created a hole in the pen, smylys spot. I cant really compare fisters season to anyone on the roster. I just have to ask how the tigers as a team are going to get that kind of production out of the pen and the rotation where it was lost. For the record I wanted the tigers to trade max...not fister or porcello because his trade value wont get any higher, hes going to cost a fortune, they can get a lot in return for him and he wont have another season like last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what can be done to treat shin splints and what causes them? How long do they normally last?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing I was told was to take it easy, elevate, ice and rest. Was on my feet most of the day at work though. Took all summer for it to go away. Still played baseball, just with a lot of discomfort. Dickerson said today on the broadcast that its not being called "shin splints", but that is somewhat of an umbrella term in the first place. Idk what Iggy has going with his legs tbh.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers finally got their first longball of the spring..... Nicky C went deep! (220some ab's into Grapefruit League action.)

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what can be done to treat shin splints and what causes them? How long do they normally last?

As bronco mentioned, shin splints is more of an umbrella term but usually affect the front of the fibula. They can be quite pain but an athlete can "play through it" many times although the condition won't improve without rest. Ice will help with short-term pain relief but isn't a permanent solution. Strengthening and lengthening the surrounding muscles in the calf can go a long way in helping prevent the pain from worsening but rest is the only cure that I have heard of. It can be anywhere from 3-6 months depending on the severity. I really think he is just going to continue to have to live with it.
I don't know Iggy's injury history but shin splints usually occur when trying to come back from another injury or a period of rest.

Last edited by a moderator:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers finally got their first longball of the spring..... Nicky C went deep! (220some ab's into Grapefruit League action.)

I wouldn't go overboard (as some will) that this is an indication of a lack of power on the team. Undoubtedly the team will hit less dingers than last year. Anybody know what their R/game looks? As everyone knows, pitching is ahead of hitting at this point and that usually continues for 3-4 weeks into the regular season. I think the team has stole more bases this pre-season than they did all last season.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's played short before. Not sure how well.

Hernan Perez was drafted as a shortstop. He'll be decent there, but certainly no Iggy on defense.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't go overboard (as some will) that this is an indication of a lack of power on the team. Undoubtedly the team will hit less dingers than last year. Anybody know what their R/game looks? As everyone knows, pitching is ahead of hitting at this point and that usually continues for 3-4 weeks into the regular season. I think the team has stole more bases this pre-season than they did all last season.

Naw, no need for concern yet at all. (There were a couple windy/rainy days in there too.)Im just glad they got off the schnide. They tried a double steal today, didn't sound like it went well. (I've been listening, not watching). Looking forward to that aspect coming together.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think the Texas Rangers are going to be scary good.......They lack a little pitching but so does our pen, but that lineup they have seems to be scary.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone else think the Texas Rangers are going to be scary good.......They lack a little pitching but so does our pen, but that lineup they have seems to be scary.

Losing Holland will hurt. Choo and Prince though, BIG adds.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prince Fielder's weight is going to catch up to him at some point. Could be this season