• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Detroit Tigers Ongoing 2014 Thread

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 stolen bases today already fellas! THREE! We even scored a run without a hit earlier. Im going to like the new approach, I can feel it in my boners.

Fixed, cuz im definitely having some baseball chubbies myself.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The trade was couched as clearing some salary for the future, but if that was the case -- Fister isn't due to make a crapload in 2014 -- why not wait until the trade deadline and pillage a contending team that's desperate for a starter? That's where I'm baffled.

We are all baffled my friend...and even if that was the reason for the trade it was still awful. Fisters salary wasnt outrageous and where I come from you dont trade stud pitchers with decent contracts for table scraps all in the name of saving a few bux.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahaha. Not gonna lie, this team arouses me. (In non-boner news: Laird got hurt today.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The trade was couched as clearing some salary for the future, but if that was the case -- Fister isn't due to make a crapload in 2014 -- why not wait until the trade deadline and pillage a contending team that's desperate for a starter? That's where I'm baffled.

We are all baffled my friend...and even if that was the reason for the trade it was still awful. Fisters salary wasnt outrageous and where I come from you dont trade stud pitchers with decent contracts for table scraps all in the name of saving a few bux.

Heard some chatter yesterday about Ray being highly coveted by DD. As in Max's replacement. Im not saying Im buying that, but if it happens, I won't miss Doug that much. (We got as much as we gave. Plus a lot of solid innings out of Fister. And Martinez back from the Ms already.)Retaining Max' services seems like costly-risky business to me. What with Kershaw, Tanaka and all the other crazy deals for starters.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Vmart had one SB.....WTF is that about? Maybe JL should have tried it....JL wouldn't even try it with a real game on the line, and Ausmus does it in ST game.......Polar opposites and I'm loving it.......

At the time his leg may have fallen off.. :noidea:

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the time his leg may have fallen off.. :noidea:

I disagree, he's a pro athlete, It's ok for him to sprint 90 feet, that won't hurt him nor will it kill him. JL thought it would though.......

BA apparently thinks it's ok for guys to sprint and not jog all the time.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JL was too conservative, no argument there, but we also had a lot of slow mofos. I think we'll see a much different approach going forward (hoping so).

So if Hunter, Jackson and Martinez are all driving the ball well, what about:

1. Kinsler
2. AJax
3. Hunter
4. Cabrera
5. VMart

I've always liked the best hitter in the 3 spot but there'd be a lot of speed on the path for Miggy to drive in and adequate protection behind him. Of course everyone has to play their role first...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with Miggy batting 4th if we can get a lefty in there somewhere ahead of him.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll toss out a guess....

Kinsler
Dirks/Davis pitcher match up
Miggy
V-mart
Torri
Nicky C
Avila
Iggy
Ajax

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JL was too conservative, no argument there, but we also had a lot of slow mofos. I think we'll see a much different approach going forward (hoping so).

So if Hunter, Jackson and Martinez are all driving the ball well, what about:

1. Kinsler
2. AJax
3. Hunter
4. Cabrera
5. VMart

I've always liked the best hitter in the 3 spot but there'd be a lot of speed on the path for Miggy to drive in and adequate protection behind him. Of course everyone has to play their role first...

I don't like it. Miggy has too high of an average to be moved down in the lineup (even one spot). I much prefer

1. AJ/Iggy
2. Kinsler
3. Miggy
4. VMart
5. Hunter
6. Nick C

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like it. Miggy has too high of an average to be moved down in the lineup (even one spot). I much prefer

1. AJ/Iggy
2. Kinsler
3. Miggy
4. VMart
5. Hunter
6. Nick C

I hear you but with the current lack of power I think Miggy is best suited for clean-up. He'll have 4 legit .335+ OBP, 15+ HR hitters around him -- not the worst but not great (Hunter having the lowest OBP but good pop and decent wheels could interchange between 3 and 5, if Miggy is 4). Miggy sacrifices one plate appearance per 10 games (whatever the stats are 3 vs. 4 in the order) to move down and drive in extra runs.

You want that high BA at the plate as much as possible, granted, but long ball will need to be utilized to it's fullest because there isn't much present. But who knows, maybe someone else tears it up and hits 25+ HRs this season while maintaining a .310 BA...it could happen.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear you but with the current lack of power I think Miggy is best suited for clean-up.

Tomato-Tomatoe
Hard to argue with a guy with the greatest living athlete as his avatar.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought, Porcello has a more consistent year than Sanchez. I'm thinking he could be 17-11with a low 3's ERA.
Thinking about all the criticism of the Fister trade and I think I would rather have Fister back than Sanchez ($$$'s is part of the reason). Is that crazy?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll toss out a guess....

Kinsler
Dirks/Davis pitcher match up
Miggy
V-mart
Torri
Nicky C
Avila
Iggy
Ajax

I like A-jax hitting lower in the lineup. But I'd say Iglesias is always 9th. A-jax hits 8th vs. right-handers, and moves up ahead of Avila/backup catcher spot vs. left-handers.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought, Porcello has a more consistent year than Sanchez. I'm thinking he could be 17-11with a low 3's ERA.
Thinking about all the criticism of the Fister trade and I think I would rather have Fister back than Sanchez ($$$'s is part of the reason). Is that crazy?

I just told a few pals the other day that I think Porcello will have his first sub-4.00 ERA season since his rookie year. I'm not with ya on the low-3's, but fewer infield hits should get him to about 3.75, and I'll say 15 wins -- though wins are so hard to predict. His K-BB ratio took a big step up last year, which is another plus.

On Sanchez, we have him locked up for four more years at about $15 mill a season. I suspect if Fister has another 14-win, 3.50 ERA season for the Nats, he's in the $12-$14 millon range for 2015. Not much difference there. And Fister has had his moments of inconsistency, just as Anibal has.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Austin Jackson: he batted 6th for the Tigers in the Braves game yesterday. Ausmus said Jackson could bat in any number of places this season, and that nothing is set in stone. His quote:

''We plan to try a few different things with him. Things will get mixed up. If he bats leadoff, it isn't like he's never done that before.''

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think its crazy...I prefer fister over sanchez all things considered. Sanchez did great last year but overall his ERA is not impressive and he sure costs a prett penny. Thats why I was scratching my head so much that it wasnt too long ago they traded their top prospect for starting pitching, signed sanchez to a monster deal and now turned around and traded a stud for a prospect?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Austin Jackson: he batted 6th for the Tigers in the Braves game yesterday. Ausmus said Jackson could bat in any number of places this season, and that nothing is set in stone. His quote:

''We plan to try a few different things with him. Things will get mixed up. If he bats leadoff, it isn't like he's never done that before.''

Id think Jackson, Kinsler and Davis will all see games at the top of the order. Iggy, I assume, will bat 9th mostly.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody know if Hernan Perez can play SS? Seems like Iggy's shin splints are going to be a factor. I think his bat is a year or two from being MLB ready but it seems like his glove can suffice in a pinch.