• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Denver Broncos @ Oakland Raidas

Orange Crush77

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with all the sentiments above. This D has taken this team on their shoulders.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Buccaneers have re-signed Connor Barth.

Bears place Will Montgomery on IR.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our defense is going to be jacked for this game. I imagine a lot of, if not all of our defensive players were disappointed and pissed off that they were not put in the best position a lot of times by Del Rio and his style of defense. I can see guys carrying a grudge about this and wanting to show Del Rio what they are capable of, and how he misused their talents when he was here. I know they have to be happier about the style of defense they are playing now. It's almost like they were handcuffed before, and now they are free. I really hope they humiliate the Raiders offense from start to finish. It's hard to imagine them playing better than they already have, but if there is a game for them to be motivated even more than usual, this is it.

I'm personally holding a grudge against Del Rio (and I'm a USC fan) for holding back our defense, so I'm looking for the new Orange Crush to destroy Oakland.

Offensively, I think we will take another small step forward as we have been doing from week to week. Steady progress is all we need. This week the passing attack will open up a little against the 31st ranked pass defense. Our TEs should be able to do some damage against this defense, and Kubiak will have a plan to do just that.

Crossing my fingers for the O-line to stay healthy.

I've been holding a grudge on that turd J.D.R. since the first day he was hired as Denver's Defensive Coordinator. Hopefully they whip up on the Raiders. Like I said last week I'd like to see one game with out a Manning interception.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure JDR is feeling the same way towards the Broncos right now as it was not a very good break up of that relationship. As others have said wouldn't mind though sticking it to Del Rio showing just what type of talent he truly had. I remember him saying over and over about how the players just need to execute better. Well maybe as a DC it is your job to put them in the best position to execute to their best abilities. Or how about call a blitz every once in a while showing that you trust your Pro Bowl secondary to do their job. Crazy how the Broncos when needing a play send a great blitz that ends the game instead of just letting the other team get into field goal range to send it to over time. Man am I fired up to see this defense take it to Del Rio's new team. So glad to have some fire back in this rivalry.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This plus force 4 turnovers. The lack of aggression last year led to few turnovers. Any time the enemy put the ball on the ground the Broncos defense seldom recovered. That lack of aggression cost them because they weren't mentally prepared to recover those fumbles. This defense believes it is going to create a play, and when they do they are in position to exploit it. That's the difference in mindset.

That's not really the case, though. Forcing fumbles is definitely a skill, but when it comes to recovering them, it mostly comes to luck. Statistically, a team can expect to have a fumble recovery rate of 50%. Now, that can fluctuate from year to year, so one year you might see a team with a recovery rate of 60%, but they usually drop to 40% the next year.

So far this year, the Broncos have been fortunate in that they've recovered nearly every fumble they've forced, but we started to see that swing back the other way against the Vikings: despite forcing 3 fumbles, we were only able to recover 1.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like many of you, I'm hoping this is the game that Manning gets back on track. I still have faith that we can work out some semblance of a running game by season's end, but at some point I still need to see Manning come out with a 300 yard, 4 touchdown, no interceptions kind of day. Hopefully that day will come Sunday.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was very impressed that on NFL.com they gave their All-Pro team a quarter of the way through and Darian Stewart while not making 1st team did get some major praise. They gave it to Harrison Smith for the FS position (although pretty sure he plays the SS position but some of that these days is hard to tell) but said that Stewart has been everywhere.

Players they did have on the All-Pro list were Ware, Miller, and TJ Ward. Talib and Marshall both got 2nd Team. I was hoping one of the DL guys would have gotten a mention but hey that is me wanting to see more Bronco players on there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went against the grain on this pick...Vegas thinks DEN will win by 5 I think...I'm looking for this to be a close game and think OAK will cover if they don't win outright.

Here's where I am on this game...OAK now has some edge rushers in Smith and Mack...Lofton is not spectacular but solid MLB...DEN has not really run it well this season...if Manning has to carry them...I can see him taking a few hits, or making some mistakes trying to avoid pressure.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went against the grain on this pick...Vegas thinks DEN will win by 5 I think...I'm looking for this to be a close game and think OAK will cover if they don't win outright.

Here's where I am on this game...OAK now has some edge rushers in Smith and Mack...Lofton is not spectacular but solid MLB...DEN has not really run it well this season...if Manning has to carry them...I can see him taking a few hits, or making some mistakes trying to avoid pressure.

I understand your point of view. Here is another though in the Raiders are 31st in the NFL in defending the pass. Even though they have those two pass rushers it hasn't stopped teams from passing all over them because they have a very weak secondary. When you throw in the linebackers have shown to be the worst in the league in coverage as they have given up the most yards and touchdowns to TE's in the NFL this season. That is where Manning makes his living in those quick passes to the TE's and WR's and let them do the work. Oakland's secondary hasn't shown they can stop those quick passes.

I will say this being an Away game has me a bit worried but at the same time the Broncos have won something like 13 straight road division games which is an NFL record. They have obviously figured out something.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand your point of view. Here is another though in the Raiders are 31st in the NFL in defending the pass. Even though they have those two pass rushers it hasn't stopped teams from passing all over them because they have a very weak secondary. When you throw in the linebackers have shown to be the worst in the league in coverage as they have given up the most yards and touchdowns to TE's in the NFL this season. That is where Manning makes his living in those quick passes to the TE's and WR's and let them do the work. Oakland's secondary hasn't shown they can stop those quick passes.

I will say this being an Away game has me a bit worried but at the same time the Broncos have won something like 13 straight road division games which is an NFL record. They have obviously figured out something.

I'm not claiming much conventional wisdom with this pick CD...lol...these are still the Raiders and they are giving up a lot points. But I'm seeing maybe a little different Raider team...they got their 1st road win in a long time, and nearly backed it up (yes, I know it was da Bears).

The streak you mention is part of my thinking...it either speaks pretty lowly of the AFCW, or very highly of the Broncos...like most things, the reality is probably somewhere in the middle...this pick is mostly about little brother finally getting one on the big brother...I use brother rather loosely here...more Cain and Abel...lol

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ty going to play this week ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Ty going to play this week ?

Nobody knows yet. He worked on the sidelines this week so I don't think this is one of those shoulder injuries that will keep him out for another few weeks but I do think this week is a bit up in the air. Especially when you think about the fact that he will be matched up against Khalil Mack. I think I would almost prefer that Ryan Harris stay the starter for one more week letting Sambrailo heal up and have a veteran go against one of the better young players in the league.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not claiming much conventional wisdom with this pick CD...lol...these are still the Raiders and they are giving up a lot points. But I'm seeing maybe a little different Raider team...they got their 1st road win in a long time, and nearly backed it up (yes, I know it was da Bears).

The streak you mention is part of my thinking...it either speaks pretty lowly of the AFCW, or very highly of the Broncos...like most things, the reality is probably somewhere in the middle...this pick is mostly about little brother finally getting one on the big brother...I use brother rather loosely here...more Cain and Abel...lol

I was more worried about this game until I saw the Bears play the Raiders. It reminded me they are still a young team that is prone to mistakes that cost them those close games. Yes they are better than in the last few years and maybe they can pull the upset but I think some turnovers have to go their way if that is the case. This past week that was the case against the Vikings in the Broncos turning the ball over kept that game close. Especially that 1st interception by Manning was just killer. That was a 10-14 point type swing.

I guess we will just have to see though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wednesday injury report came out and for the Broncos here is the list...

Sambrailo and Latimer did not practice today because of injury. Manning, Vasquez, Mathis, and Ware were all given the day off. Now some are listed because of injury but the coaches mostly said it is more a veterans day off for these guys.

James Casey, D. Thomas, Ryan Harris, and Omar Bolden were all limited today in practice.

Honestly that is about what I expected from practice today.

For the Raiders though they are looking very banged up...

Denico Autry, TJ Carrie, Michael Crabtree, Taiwan Jones, Justin Tuck, CJ Wilson, and Charles Woodson did not practice today. Some of those ar not expected to play this Sunday.

Justin Ellis, Ben Heeney, Benson Mayowa, Keith McGill, and Latavius Murray were all limited today. I think all but McGill are for sure expected to still play this Sunday from this group.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody knows yet. He worked on the sidelines this week so I don't think this is one of those shoulder injuries that will keep him out for another few weeks but I do think this week is a bit up in the air. Especially when you think about the fact that he will be matched up against Khalil Mack. I think I would almost prefer that Ryan Harris stay the starter for one more week letting Sambrailo heal up and have a veteran go against one of the better young players in the league.

I agree Harris did fine ..

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not really the case, though. Forcing fumbles is definitely a skill, but when it comes to recovering them, it mostly comes to luck. Statistically, a team can expect to have a fumble recovery rate of 50%. Now, that can fluctuate from year to year, so one year you might see a team with a recovery rate of 60%, but they usually drop to 40% the next year.

So far this year, the Broncos have been fortunate in that they've recovered nearly every fumble they've forced, but we started to see that swing back the other way against the Vikings: despite forcing 3 fumbles, we were only able to recover 1.
It makes a big difference on fumble recoveries when you have a team swarm to the ball. It's more luck if you have only 1 or two guys that are in position to make recovery vs 6 of them. When you even or strengthen the odds, it's majority usually wins. Good teams do that.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It makes a big difference on fumble recoveries when you have a team swarm to the ball. It's more luck if you have only 1 or two guys that are in position to make recovery vs 6 of them. When you even or strengthen the odds, it's majority usually wins. Good teams do that.
It really doesn't though. Statistics just don't bear it out. Fumble recovery has more to do with where it's punched out, and who's around, and how the ball bounces, than any skill by a team. It really is pretty random.

Now, as I said before, forcing fumbles is definitely a skill, and the more fumbles you force the more you're likely to recover. But last Sunday's game is a perfect example. The Broncos forced 3 fumbles and only recovered 1. Why? Was it because they weren't swarming to the ball this week? No, it was more likely due to 2 of the fumbles being by receivers on pass plays when their weren't a lot of other players around for either team, and the ball bouncing right back to the guy that fumbled it.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is how I am most weeks:
On Monday - "We are gonna crush them, we win by 40."
On Wednesday - "This is the best Broncos D I've seen over the past 25 years, We win by 30."
On Thursday - " I'm really confident. But the O is struggling - still we should win by 20"
On Saturday - " the more I read about our opponent, the more worrisome this game is. Plus it's on the road. We win by 7-10."
At kickoff - " I think I'm gonna throw up I'm so nervous. We are definitely the underdogs here!"

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright so did my weekly watch our opponent and see how I would attack them.

Offfensively--The Raiders are interesting on the DL in they are strong on the outside in pass rush ability but weak against outside runs. On the inside they are very stout against the run but terrible at pass rush. Teams are forcing Mack and Smith to beat them to the outside and just having the QB step up into a very nice pocket. I look for the Broncos to continue that same trend plus try to see if they can get Hillman to the edge again. When passing honestly that Raiders secondary is just terrible. They have terrible technique especially Hayden. They play a lot of off zone and man coverage where they are 7-10 yards off the LOS yet at soon as a receiver starts running at them they are already bailing not wanting to get beat over the top. So those quick come backs and slant patterns are wide open. Throw in the linebackers like to sell out to stop the run. This means that Owen Daniels is going to have some chances to beat them over the middle for some nice chunk yards. Honestly this is a Del Rio defense all the way. Gear up to stop the run and not give up the big play making a team have to beat you by working down the field 7-10 yards at a time. The biggest difference is the defense he has now doesn't have great talent other than on the DL so they are very susceptible even to the big play at times.

Defensively--I will give it to the Raiders they have a good offense. They deserve to be ranked in the top-15. It isn't just the opponents they have played. The OL is very stout especially in pass protection. IT is why Carr has been hit very few times and probably why a lot of teams don't blitz them as it hasn't gotten home very often. I still look for the Broncos to stay aggressive though. We might see more though where they have 6 guys at the LOS and still only 4 come after the QB or a lot more stunts hoping to get home in this one. I would then man up on the outside with Stewart playing Cover-1 over the top leaning more towards Cooper's side of the field. I would honestly hope to put Harris on Cooper and help him out as I think Talib can handle Crabtree not easily but would do just fine. Stopping the run just continue to do what we have been doing.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know we have talked about this a little but I do have to say that Elway's ability to find FA's that succeed greatly with the Broncos is looking just pretty darn good. Not only did we have 4 of them that Elway got in 2014 make the Pro Bowl but they are showing up even bigger this year. Ware won DPOM while Ward and Talib DPOW. Sanders right now also has the most receptions on 3rd down in the league and is looking just as dangerous as he did last year.

When you then factor in bringing in Antonio Smith, Darian Stewart, Vance Walker, Evan Mathis, and Ryan Harris this year I would say the guy continues to just hit home runs when it comes to finding even bargain price players who come in and play at Pro Bowl levels for us.