• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Debate: Does Kobe have the right to sue his mother?

heatmyshorts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe Bryant has ownership of his memorabilia even if it is housed in his mother's own residence, is that correct? Though it seems wrong for his mother to sell her son's own treasured items without his permission, is it right to sue your mother? Should Kobe just settle it by giving his mom more money?

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe Bryant has ownership of his memorabilia even if it is housed in his mother's own residence, is that correct?

Depends on the jurisdiction and the particular facts of the case, which we don't really know. For instance, I read that the Mom tried to give the items back to Kobe years ago but he said something along the lines of, "No, you can keep them." That particular fact needs to fleshed out in court, apparently.

Though it seems wrong for his mother to sell her son's own treasured items without his permission, is it right to sue your mother?

Family members sue each other all the time. I can't imagine any instance where I would sue my own mother, but people also aren't willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for my high school jersey.

Should Kobe just settle it by giving his mom more money?

We don't know the particular facts here. My first inclination was, "Just buy her a stinking house already." But when Kobe tweeted something about always giving and people always taking more and more, I wondered how much he's given already and why they keep taking. I don't know.

heatmyshorts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on the jurisdiction and the particular facts of the case, which we don't really know. For instance, I read that the Mom tried to give the items back to Kobe years ago but he said something along the lines of, "No, you can keep them." That particular fact needs to fleshed out in court, apparently.

Family members sue each other all the time. I can't imagine any instance where I would sue my own mother, but people also aren't willing to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for my high school jersey.

We don't know the particular facts here. My first inclination was, "Just buy her a stinking house already." But when Kobe tweeted something about always giving and people always taking more and more, I wondered how much he's given already and why they keep taking. I don't know.

So its a question of ownership.
Some of these items are invaluable.
Kobe should just give what his mother wants and take his memorabilia. That might be the way to break the cycle of family members trying to milk their relative's superstardom.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, like BRS said, we just dont know all the facts to make a conclusion.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has the right to sue but he needs to fix things with his mom. He wouldn't exist without her and literally owes her more than he can ever give her in money. I would be embarrassed to sue my mom over some old stuff that I didn't care enough about to bring to my house. Classy dude.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mamba vs. Momba

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has the right to sue but he needs to fix things with his mom. He wouldn't exist without her and literally owes her more than he can ever give her in money. I would be embarrassed to sue my mom over some old stuff that I didn't care enough about to bring to my house. Classy dude.

You seem to know the facts, since you are being sarcastic calling him classy.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you call it? Short of his mother abusing him why would he do something that petty over some old stuff?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want him to put a gun to her head to get his stuff back instead?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have stuff at my mom house, and before my mom would throw it away or sell it, she would ask me first if I still want it.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still have stuff at my mom house, and before my mom would throw it away or sell it, she would ask me first if I still want it.
Reports say thats what Kobes mom did. I get your point about asking however, I don't think its relevant. My relationship with my mother is worth more than what Kobes stuff is worth. He is not hurting for money. The stuff was not important enough for him to have at his home. I'm just trying to find a positive note in this for Kobe. Would you sue your mother if she sold your stuff without asking?

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rush to assumptions and judgement much guys?

Or instead we could actually look into the facts...???

Kobe has not sued anybody. Goldin Auctions out of NJ has sued to try and assert its right to sell Kobe's property. Kobe has simply responded to a suit filed by Goldin Auctions.

Happy Mother's Day: Kobe Bryant sues mom over mementos - TwinCities.com

Read the article guys. Kobe is not suing his mom. Kobe wrote the auction company a letter asking them to cease the auction. The auction company then filed suit, seeking a declaratory judgement on whether or not they have the right to sell his property.

Nice try though.:lame:

Big Red Slugs

Captain Hook
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp, there you go. Thanks, Hizzle.

The only article I read never specified. And even the title of that article is misleading. What a shame.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read the article guys. Kobe is not suing his mom. Kobe wrote the auction company a letter asking them to cease the auction. The auction company then filed suit, seeking a declaratory judgement on whether or not they have the right to sell his property.

Nice try though.

Its still legal action against his mom. Nice try to down play it. Why would he stop the sale of the stuff she has been paying storage for to keep? If he wanted it why not pick it up years ago? Why is it even that important to him? Something is wrong with your priorities when you sue ...I mean take legal action against your own mom.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe claims he never told his mom she could have his personel property...

"I never told my mother that she could have my personal property, let alone consign it for public auction," Bryant wrote.

In a filing Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Camden, Kobe Bryant says his mother acknowledged to him recently that she did not have permission to sell the items.
"I confronted her about her false statement that I had given my memorabilia to her," Bryant wrote in the filing, which was seen by The Philadelphia Inquirer. "I said to her, 'Mom, you know I never told you that you could have the memorabilia.'

"Her response was, 'Yes, but you never said you wanted it, either.' Of course, this is untrue, since my wife and I requested that she return my memorabilia several years earlier."

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe's mother seems like a greedy person. Reports are that Kobe recently offered up to $250,000 to buy his mother a home in Las Vegas. This would not be her first house. She refused wanting more money. Then, not much later, Kobe's mother puts these items up for auction and gets $450,000 up front. Kobe has given his parents lots of financial assistance over the course of his career.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious. Is this his words or hers? Do you have a link?

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobe's mother seems like a greedy person. Reports are that Kobe recently offered up to $250,000 to buy his mother a home in Las Vegas. This would not be her first house. She refused wanting more money. Then, not much later, Kobe's mother puts these items up for auction and gets $450,000 up front. Kobe has given his parents lots of financial assistance over the course of his career.

I'm pretty sure his parents gave him lots of assistance over the years financial and otherwise.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its still legal action against his mom. Nice try to down play it. Why would he stop the sale of the stuff she has been paying storage for to keep? If he wanted it why not pick it up years ago? Why is it even that important to him? Something is wrong with your priorities when you sue ...I mean take legal action against your own mom.

No - It's not. The auction company initiated legal action against Kobe. How in the world can you turn that into Kobe suing his mother?

Hypo: My mom has a set of my old golf clubs. She takes them to a pawn shop. I then write a letter to the pawn shop telling them not to sell my clubs. The pawn shop then files suit in court against me, to assert their right to sell my clubs. I respond to the pawn shops suit.

That does not equal me suing my mother.

shitsho

Work Hard Play Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No - It's not. The auction company initiated legal action against Kobe. How in the world can you turn that into Kobe suing his mother?

Hypo: My mom has a set of my old golf clubs. She takes them to a pawn shop. I then write a letter to the pawn shop telling them not to sell my clubs. The pawn shop then files suit in court against me, to assert their right to sell my clubs. I respond to the pawn shops suit.

That does not equal me suing my mother.
By responding you now are pursuing legal action. Why not drop it? Especially since his mom is now on the hook for 450K?

Last edited by a moderator: