• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Daryl Morey and China

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you don’t think that would hurt the rockets business at home? Gm fired for being pro democracy.. good luck with that pr nightmare.
GM fired for losing money.

Its why they get fired. Winning is more profitable than losing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, regardless of what you think of Kap or his decision to protest, he did so KNOWING he was sacrificing a ton of money in the process. He basically ended his career to support a cause he believed in and spoke about social injustice. That at the very least takes a huge amount of conviction and dedication. His words weren't empty because he put his money where his mouth is. That in itself should gain some respect if you don't even agree with his actions.

But now you see the athletes refraining from speaking on it because it could hurt their pockets. It sucks that one singular tweet from a GM could end all business relationships between the NBA and China, but now that it has go full bore on it. Speak out against it. There's not really any going back at this point.

To be honest the guy on the Warriors I'm most interested in hearing speak about this is Klay. He's signed with Anta and I just read that they've cancelled their sponsorship for the NBA. I wonder what he'll say and what stance he'll take. He'd be sacrificing a shit ton of money if he's on his way out. But then again he'll have no shortage of suitors. Splash bro Under Armour gear would be $$$$$.

? He made more money from kneeling than he would’ve the rest of his NFL career.

But sure Chinese money is good but is it really a good atmosphere when the arena is packed with face masks on?

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to live in China and this is typical sensitive Chinese drama. You say something they don't like they would go to the extreme to get back at you. They will go out of their way to block all western social media and arrest you if you say anything negative about their government.

This is why Hong Kong is protesting and do not want to be apart of all that and they want to continue to live under a democracy. I feel bad for the Chinese fan base these people LOVE nba basketball.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a Kap supporter and 100% I agree with you. Can't have it both ways.

There's no real difference going on right now than what happened with Kap. A market has been affected (either domestic or foreign)
Acting like foreign or domestic markets is the same thing makes you a c unt.

Kap is a bitch that couldn't hack it in the league and took the easy political money that flows from the anus of Washington. He's a fraud.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel bad for the Chinese fan base these people LOVE nba basketball.

They should rip their government apart then.

They're a stain on the entire world.

Every economist **** for the last twenty years has called China the future. Fuck them and fuck that. Good thing most economists are wrong.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GM fired for losing money.

Its why they get fired. Winning is more profitable than losing.

That would be the reason that the Rockets give.

It wouldn't be what the media or fans said about it though.

It would also drag it out longer when it's in the leagues best interest for it to go away asap.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be the reason that the Rockets give.

It wouldn't be what the media or fans said about it though.

It would also drag it out longer when it's in the leagues best interest for it to go away asap.
It's in the country's best interest (and therefore the NBA franchises that reside within it) for it to drag on and:
1. Harm the Chinese government
2. Reduce our dependency on Chinese money/things
3. Decrease the Chinese governments' impact on the world
4. Harm tech companies that support the Chinese government.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's in the country's best interest (and therefore the NBA franchises that reside within it) for it to drag on and:
1. Harm the Chinese government
2. Reduce our dependency on Chinese money/things
3. Decrease the Chinese governments' impact on the world
4. Harm tech companies that support the Chinese government.

Meanwhile, the NBA loses at least a billion dollars. The only ones hurt would be the Chinese people.

Exposing the Chinese people to more Western culture (such as the NBA) makes them want more of it and places more pressure on the Chinese government from within the country.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, the NBA loses at least a billion dollars. The only ones hurt would be the Chinese people.

Exposing the Chinese people to more Western culture (such as the NBA) makes them want more of it and places more pressure on the Chinese government from within the country.

The NBA doesn't have any political impact unless you make it have a political impact by responding to political situations like in Hong Kong.

Notice how not one African-American baller has talked shit on China fucking up East African nations in a whole decade of this farce.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA doesn't have any political impact unless you make it have a political impact by responding to political situations like in Hong Kong.

Notice how not one African-American baller has talked shit on China fucking up East African nations in a whole decade of this farce.

Having the ability to voice an opinion is not the same as forcing someone to have an opinion. People seem to misconstruing that.

It's funny how people say oh well you can comment on the social injustice of blacks vs whites, but you can't comment on the social injustices of China. Newsflash, none of these athletes have ever been affected by Communist China, and therefore wouldn't likely be up to date on the situation going on over there. But I can guarantee the vast majority of these "African-American" athletes at some point in their lives has been racially profiled in some fashion. Or they've seen it happen to friends and family.

So you expect people, in general people not just athletes, for them to have an opinion on a social issue that impact them and their community must be well versed in ALL social issues around the world and if not they're hypocrites. LOL at that logic.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Acting like foreign or domestic markets is the same thing makes you a c unt.

Kap is a bitch that couldn't hack it in the league and took the easy political money that flows from the anus of Washington. He's a fraud.
Finally a calm, reasonable take

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having the ability to voice an opinion is not the same as forcing someone to have an opinion. People seem to misconstruing that.

It's funny how people say oh well you can comment on the social injustice of blacks vs whites, but you can't comment on the social injustices of China. Newsflash, none of these athletes have ever been affected by Communist China, and therefore wouldn't likely be up to date on the situation going on over there. But I can guarantee the vast majority of these "African-American" athletes at some point in their lives has been racially profiled in some fashion. Or they've seen it happen to friends and family.

So you expect people, in general people not just athletes, for them to have an opinion on a social issue that impact them and their community must be well versed in ALL social issues around the world and if not they're hypocrites. LOL at that logic.

I’m sure some of these guys have opinions about China. Reality is they’ve been told not to comment on it.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m sure some of these guys have opinions about China. Reality is they’ve been told not to comment on it.

I agree with you and have a feeling some have been told not to comment, but I believe it's not coming from the NBA. It's coming from their agents. It's coming from their financial advisors. It's coming from their endorsement deals. It makes sense. Money is the biggest motivator here. Shit the Warriors have three guys, Klay, Looney and Evans, now all signed to Anta. No idea how that's going to play out.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you and have a feeling some have been told not to comment, but I believe it's not coming from the NBA. It's coming from their agents. It's coming from their financial advisors. It's coming from their endorsement deals. It makes sense. Money is the biggest motivator here. Shit the Warriors have three guys, Klay, Looney and Evans, now all signed to Anta. No idea how that's going to play out.

I wonder how they’d react if their agent or advisors told them not to comment on police brutality?

That’s where the hypocrisy comes in. If social justice is a hostage to financial profitability, social justice warriors have value only to themselves and not to society as a whole.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how they’d react if their agent or advisors told them not to comment on police brutality?

That’s where the hypocrisy comes in. If social justice is a hostage to financial profitability, social justice warriors have value only to themselves and not to society as a whole.

I'm sure some of them have. But not commenting due to someone telling you, and not commenting because you aren't informed enough about the situation is two different things. You're assuming all silence is based purely off the fact they're being told not to comment.

But let's be absolutely real here, the rub is that how impactful is the situation to your life with respects to you potentially sacrificing money. The police brutality issue is much closer to home. It's something tangible in their lives. The crisis in China with the protest is basically a world away. They have no first hand knowledge of what's going on there. So why would you sacrifice money over that? But you see kids back in your neighborhood being gunned down, that's a different story.

It's financial gain vs. personal benefit. The China situation does not align to either. It's just a net negative all the way around for the most part.

But I 100% see your perspective. I appreciate it. I just don't view it as an apples to apples comparison.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure some of them have. But not commenting due to someone telling you, and not commenting because you aren't informed enough about the situation is two different things. You're assuming all silence is based purely off the fact they're being told not to comment.

But let's be absolutely real here, the rub is that how impactful is the situation to your life with respects to you potentially sacrificing money. The police brutality issue is much closer to home. It's something tangible in their lives. The crisis in China with the protest is basically a world away. They have no first hand knowledge of what's going on there. So why would you sacrifice money over that? But you see kids back in your neighborhood being gunned down, that's a different story.

It's financial gain vs. personal benefit. The China situation does not align to either. It's just a net negative all the way around for the most part.

But I 100% see your perspective. I appreciate it. I just don't view it as an apples to apples comparison.

Yeah. I’m not saying they’re obligated to speak. I’m sure some of them know nothing about China...or at least, very little. But I view many of the social justice guys skeptically. Some of them mean well. Some of them are full of crap.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one who usually says keep sports and politics separate.

However, the NBA has already crossed that bridge.

Remember, they removed the All Star Game from a state over a bathroom issue.

But want to bury their heads in the sand over this China stuff.

Fuck the hypocritical full of shit NBA and their gutless leader Adam Silver.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. I’m not saying they’re obligated to speak. I’m sure some of them know nothing about China...or at least, very little. But I view many of the social justice guys skeptically. Some of them mean well. Some of them are full of crap.
Who's the most full of crap on that issue in your opinion?