• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Hurley welcome to the Lakers !

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,055.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have I not mentioned how the university of Connecticut won back to back national championships in 2023 and 2024??

I thought we’d discussed that already…
I must have missed that...

LOL.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn’t do that.

He told everyone he was announcing his decision on the show.

It was pure speculation that he was staying in Cleveland.

Media was talking about LeBron’s free agency for years. And he did a masterful job of always avoiding that question.
sure...but he had known for years he was going to Miami (which is his right) so, yes, he was stringing Cleveland along.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...way more grief for that than expected or warranted, I don't get it.
Not sure what you mean by "way more grief". Did some take it too far who likely already didn't like the guy? Probably.....and, sure, no matter how he announced it that person would have been pissed regardless.

But there's also probably a reason it was never done like that before nor since.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is tough on coaches, no doubt.

But facts are facts.

He has made more coaching careers than he has ruined.

Blatt never had a chance. Ham was a victim too, but I don’t think Ham is a good coach.

He made Mike Brown and Ty Lue.

Did well with Spoelstra despite a rocky start and was absolutely not the reason Vogel got sent away from LA.
Agree with some of this. Possibly got Lue further than he would have but I'd say Brown made Brown.....I mean the guy somehow had an elite defense giving major minutes to Z, Gooden, Pavlovic, Marshall, Damon Jones, etc.....even got a younger Lebron to realize D mattered.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pathetic offer by the Lakers. UK was offering upwards of $10M per. Still, pretty much egg om the face that a coach stays in Connecticut for half the money for living in LA and co aching the Lakers

There was reportedly more to the offer that would increase the value, but we may never know what exactly was in there. Regardless, Pelinka looks bad once again.

I was hopeful but far from confident that he would take the job, so on to the next candidates.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeBron is tough on coaches, no doubt.

But facts are facts.

He has made more coaching careers than he has ruined.

Blatt never had a chance. Ham was a victim too, but I don’t think Ham is a good coach.

He made Mike Brown and Ty Lue.

Did well with Spoelstra despite a rocky start and was absolutely not the reason Vogel got sent away from LA.

Tough for a coach to complain when more likely or not, having Lebron on your roster means playoffs, if not true contender status.

Vogel was his own worst enemy, as was Ham.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was reportedly more to the offer that would increase the value, but we may never know what exactly was in there. Regardless, Pelinka looks bad once again.

I was hopeful but far from confident that he would take the job, so on to the next candidates.
UConn has said they will make him the highest paid co ach in CBB. Tops now is $13M dropping to $11M next year. So basically matching the Lakers deal. If they don't want to pay him the money Pop, Kerr or Spo makes, that's fair, but for the Lakers to offer him less than the Pistons coach....thats a joke offer. I was thinking 7 years $100M would be a legit offer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn has said they will make him the highest paid co ach in CBB. Tops now is $13M dropping to $11M next year. So basically matching the Lakers deal. If they don't want to pay him the money Pop, Kerr or Spo makes, that's fair, but for the Lakers to offer him less than the Pistons coach....thats a joke offer. I was thinking 7 years $100M would be a legit offer.

I can't speak to specifics, but it seems Woj may be reporting the min value of the deal offered, not any option years, bonuses, etc.

I don't know if more money changes the outcome anyway, but it would be nice if the Lakers would put their best offer out there to avoid this situation exactly. Pelinka/Jeanie has not been a good pairing at the top IMO, and at the very least the Lakers need a PBO above Pelinka to guide this franchise. Reportedly, Hurley was leaning towards taking the offer when he left the Lakers interview on Friday and was flipped (either by UConn or family) over the weekend.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sure...but he had known for years he was going to Miami (which is his right) so, yes, he was stringing Cleveland along.

You have to be kidding me.

He strung Cleveland along by playing out his contract and not letting it be a distraction?

Would you prefer he handle it like Melo and Anthony Davis and countless stars since who say they are leaving a year before their contract is up?

LeBron did that part the right way 100%.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with some of this. Possibly got Lue further than he would have but I'd say Brown made Brown.....I mean the guy somehow had an elite defense giving major minutes to Z, Gooden, Pavlovic, Marshall, Damon Jones, etc.....even got a younger Lebron to realize D mattered.

His work with the kings proves that brown made brown imo

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He strung Cleveland along by playing out his contract and not letting it be a distraction?

Would you prefer he handle it like Melo and Anthony Davis and countless stars since who say they are leaving a year before their contract is up?

What is the best option

Lebron (leaving and getting nothing but one last shot at a title)

Or brow, Chris Paul and Paul George style where you at least get something

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes...if he knows he's going to Miami I would like him to let the team know to plan accordingly if they want. Now would they have done anything differently (by trading him)? I'm not so sure, but at least could make a more informed decision.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the best option

Lebron (leaving and getting nothing but one last shot at a title)

Or brow, Chris Paul and Paul George style where you at least get something
I'd say at least give the Cavs that option by letting them know his plans. Now it is true they might still take one more shot for a title....but at least they'd know what his plans are.