• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Danny Hurley welcome to the Lakers !

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say at least give the Cavs that option by letting them know his plans. Now it is true they might still take one more shot for a title....but at least they'd know what his plans are.

I doubt he leaves if you don’t face plant in 09 and 2010

So I doubt he knew he was leaving for years

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt he leaves if you don’t face plant in 09 and 2010

So I doubt he knew he was leaving for years
Granted I guess can never be sure of these things but seems like he, Bosh and Wade had it in the works to play together for years.

as to 2009 and 2010? No commitment makes it tough to make moves around Lebron. Maybe easier to get guys there if he will recruit them and commit to stay (like he did for a while when he returned and Love wanted to come here)? To be fair, the Cavs were as good or better in 2009 and 2010 than the Lakers were in every season they had him other than 1 if memory serves?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted I guess can never be sure of these things but seems like he, Bosh and Wade had it in the works to play together for years.

as to 2009 and 2010? No commitment makes it tough to make moves around Lebron. Maybe easier to get guys there if he will recruit them and commit to stay (like he did for a while when he returned and Love wanted to come here)? To be fair, the Cavs were as good or better in 2009 and 2010 than the Lakers were in every season they had him other than 1 if memory serves?

Alledgedly bron tried to get bosh to sign with CLe

He did not like water that lights on fire

So they went to Miami

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alledgedly bron tried to get bosh to sign with CLe

He did not like water that lights on fire

So they went to Miami
I had heard there was a deal in the works to trade for Bosh.....but Miami was the only place all 3 could go. If I had to guess his lapdog Bosh was going wherever he was told they wanted to play.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UConn has said they will make him the highest paid co ach in CBB. Tops now is $13M dropping to $11M next year. So basically matching the Lakers deal. If they don't want to pay him the money Pop, Kerr or Spo makes, that's fair, but for the Lakers to offer him less than the Pistons coach....thats a joke offer. I was thinking 7 years $100M would be a legit offer.

Agree with @shopson67

It looks like it was 6/$70 as a base. It's fairly common to put incentives in the contract of a first time head coach.

Maybe the base could have been more, but not much more.

If top pay in college is $13 million, he's earned that as he has shown himself to be one of, if not the best in cbb. In the NBA, if I'm not mistaken, guys like Pop, Spo and Kerr get around $16 million. He hasn't earned that kind of money in the NBA.

All things considered, it's unlikely that any team would be willing to give him Pop/Spo/Kerr money.

Monty Williams is a bad comparison imo, because he won in Phoenix and was Coach of the Year in 2022. Not to mention his time as an Assistant in the NBA. You're going to pay more for that than for a guy with no NBA experience.

I was hoping the Lakers would get him, but I understand why the base wasn't more and I understand why he would turn it down.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree with @shopson67

It looks like it was 6/$70 as a base. It's fairly common to put incentives in the contract of a first time head coach.

Maybe the base could have been more, but not much more.

If top pay in college is $13 million, he's earned that as he has shown himself to be one of, if not the best in cbb. In the NBA, if I'm not mistaken, guys like Pop, Spo and Kerr get around $16 million. He hasn't earned that kind of money in the NBA.

All things considered, it's unlikely that any team would be willing to give him Pop/Spo/Kerr money.

Monty Williams is a bad comparison imo, because he won in Phoenix and was Coach of the Year in 2022. Not to mention his time as an Assistant in the NBA. You're going to pay more for that than for a guy with no NBA experience.

I was hoping the Lakers would get him, but I understand why the base wasn't more and I understand why he would turn it down.
Yep...and could understand excitement about maybe getting the guy but it's far from a lock he'd have worked out while whoever they ultimately bring in could be successful.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to be kidding me.

He strung Cleveland along by playing out his contract and not letting it be a distraction?

Would you prefer he handle it like Melo and Anthony Davis and countless stars since who say they are leaving a year before their contract is up?

LeBron did that part the right way 100%.

As critical as I have been of "The Decision". He absolutely handled that part of it correctly by not allowing it to be a distraction.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As critical as I have been of "The Decision". He absolutely handled that part of it correctly by not allowing it to be a distraction.
Huh? Not his fault but always a distraction when Lebron is approaching his impending FA.

Only way to avoid that is say you are staying and extend when able or announce you are going and get traded.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huh? Not his fault but always a distraction when Lebron is approaching his impending FA.

Only way to avoid that is say you are staying and extend when able or announce you are going and get traded.

Not his fault because he did his best to prevent the distraction by not feeding into it like AD, among others, have done.

AD effectively wrecked that season by announcing he was out when he did and it getting out publicly.

I used to say that I wish a player who intended to move on would be quiet about it and just let the team know so they can start preparing/looking for a trade partner...but I'm not sure that's possible anymore. If it ever was.

Lebron may have used the best/most fair option by not saying anything until he had to.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurley is not an idiot. He knows when he’s got a good thing. Why would anyone want to go to the Lakers where the coach destroyer, Lebron James, awaits

Seems like you hate-hate-hate LeBron mont...I mean brightboat.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the best option

Lebron (leaving and getting nothing but one last shot at a title)

Or brow, Chris Paul and Paul George style where you at least get something

What LeBron did was waaaaayyy better.

Tell me, what have those other franchises been able to do after trading their star for 50 cents on the dollar?

Cleveland bottomed out, won the lottery a couple times and was able to compile the assets to get LeBron back.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What LeBron did was waaaaayyy better.

Tell me, what have those other franchises been able to do after trading their star for 50 cents on the dollar?

Cleveland bottomed out, won the lottery a couple times and was able to compile the assets to get LeBron back.

Indiana just made the ecf….

But I get it

At some point you need to find a franchise guy anyway

But losing him for nothing can be killer

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana just made the ecf….

But I get it

At some point you need to find a franchise guy anyway

But losing him for nothing can be killer

They made the ECF by default because they beat a couple injured teams.

And the Paul George trade was a long time ago.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about David Blatt as the purple 'n gold next HC?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's right there in his team avatars, lol.

And I periodically mention their recent back to back national championships in April 2023 and 2024….

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you sure?

You’re right

I should go back and watch those championship games again just to confirm