• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those with access behind the Dallas Morning News pay wall, there is a terrific story about Dak and Kitna working on that one thing all QB’s can benefit from going back to my memories of Aikman talking about Norv working with him.

Footwork.

If Dak has had one glaring thing that he should be focused on over the first 3 seasons of his career, it’s footwork. And the story digs into that detail in depth.

I’d post more but living in an RV and trying to limit my use of my hotspot is a deterrent.

The intense technician and a QB reminiscent of Warren Moon: Inside Jon Kitna and Dak Prescott's budding relationship

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those with access behind the Dallas Morning News pay wall, there is a terrific story about Dak and Kitna working on that one thing all QB’s can benefit from going back to my memories of Aikman talking about Norv working with him.

Footwork.

If Dak has had one glaring thing that he should be focused on over the first 3 seasons of his career, it’s footwork. And the story digs into that detail in depth.

I’d post more but living in an RV and trying to limit my use of my hotspot is a deterrent.

The intense technician and a QB reminiscent of Warren Moon: Inside Jon Kitna and Dak Prescott's budding relationship
thanks for the article....very encouraging read

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few years ago we thought that we had scrubs for back up. The best of the bunch was a noodle arm kellen. Everyone wrote us off, even those who are ardent Dallas fans.

And I am not saying we have another Dak in the wings waiting for an injury, just that first stringers get all the attention and reps so sometimes we don't know what you got until they get a real chance.
And that year sucked as we through Kellen, Cassel and Weeden. Then we brought in Dak the next year because we knew we needed too back up Romo who was fragile and not likely to ever play 16 games again. And we only gave away Romo's job after we knew we had better because he was never going to be "Romo" again.

You NEVER let a QB go without a solid plan B. It's just not something any NFL team does. I like what I see in Mike White. I wouldn't turn a playoff team over to him though. If we find a QB that can win at this level I'll entertain letting Dak go if he wants too much. I would have given a 2nd for Rosen, but NOT if I know I am hitching my wagon to Dak long term which is why I think the Cowboys didn't do it.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry you feel that my thoughts are nothing but doom and gloom. I guess we will have to wait and see who we lose over the next few years
With or without Dak we aren't keeping everyone. It's just not how the NFL works and the players have a say also. I suspect Vander Esch or Jaylon goes at some point in the next few years just because putting that much money into two non-pass rush LBs isn't the best blueprint to build a team long term. But damn, letting either of them go would hurt me. It would literally hurt me. I absolutely love those two and I love watching both of them.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With or without Dak we aren't keeping everyone. It's just not how the NFL works and the players have a say also. I suspect Vander Esch or Jaylon goes at some point in the next few years just because putting that much money into two non-pass rush LBs isn't the best blueprint to build a team long term. But damn, letting either of them go would hurt me. It would literally hurt me. I absolutely love those two and I love watching both of them.
I love watching this whole team but paying anyone 25+M a year is crazy. No player is worth that much but let's be crazy and pay them no matter how it stunts the team

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love watching this whole team but paying anyone 25+M a year is crazy. No player is worth that much but let's be crazy and pay them no matter how it stunts the team
i agree no player is worth that much, too bad the system doesn't agree.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas Cowboys 2020 Salary Cap

$61M in cap space next year. Going into 2020 cut Crawford and it frees up $8M and with the way you can roll cap dollars forward if we cut him this year it's $7M more. I'm not saying we will do that but I am saying we can if we need that $15M for someone we otherwise would have to let go. So would you trade 2 years of Crawford for one year of Zeke or Cooper?

Remember if Dak signs this year current year salary won't likely change but you'll add to his cap hit 1/5 of his signing bonus. So it won't crush the cap the way you may think and just add $30M to each year. Sadly I think one of these years soon T Smith comes off the books too. I know I am probably sounding like a Debbie Downer on him with as often as I bring up his health, but I just don't see him being healthy for too much longer. Love the guy and think he is a HOF, but at some point I think he falls off the table. Until then he drops though he is one of the best.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your alternative? You can't just say draft a QB because it's a crap shoot in the first round let alone later rounds. Remember we wanted to trade up into the first for Lynch and then a little later for Cook and neither of those worked out. And you can never assume you get a quality FA QB either. Those haven't worked out lately. I think you can play it out this year and maybe tag him once. After that the tag is worse than the cap hit of signing him and you build animosity and with QBs it probably goes up almost $5M per if you wait. So 2 years from now Dak may be looking at $38M per instead of $30M per.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your alternative? You can't just say draft a QB because it's a crap shoot in the first round let alone later rounds. Remember we wanted to trade up into the first for Lynch and then a little later for Cook and neither of those worked out. And you can never assume you get a quality FA QB either. Those haven't worked out lately. I think you can play it out this year and maybe tag him once. After that the tag is worse than the cap hit of signing him and you build animosity and with QBs it probably goes up almost $5M per if you wait. So 2 years from now Dak may be looking at $38M per instead of $30M per.
Yep, finding a NFL Franchise QB is hard to do. If you find one you do your best to keep him.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is your alternative? You can't just say draft a QB because it's a crap shoot in the first round let alone later rounds. Remember we wanted to trade up into the first for Lynch and then a little later for Cook and neither of those worked out. And you can never assume you get a quality FA QB either. Those haven't worked out lately
So basically you're saying we have no choice but to pay 3 or 4 players 25 to 30M a year and throw scrubs out there to fill out the the other 49 to 50 roster spots

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically you're saying we have no choice but to pay 3 or 4 players 25 to 30M a year and throw scrubs out there to fill out the the other 49 to 50 roster spots
who the fuck gets 25 to 30M a year besides a QB or a stud DE? We've already paid the DE and still plus 60M UNDER the cap.

Fuck...I wish you'd take your bull shit back to the rangers board where you fit the fuck in.

It's about winning a championship and QB;s aren't found at you local 7-11.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly, but whomever we want to keep we need to pay the going rate. Look around man. Look at what free agents are getting. Not from two or three years ago, but this year. The 4 highest paid DEs are Lawrence, Frank Clark, Trey Flowers and Dee Ford. Those aren't the 4 best DEs, but they are the most recent signings. That's how it works. Timing is as important as talent when it comes to contract amounts. I like Russell Wilson, but there is no chance he is hte best QB in the league, but he is the most recent to sign. How dumb would Dak be to sign with us for $22M or Zeke $10M when they can get much, much more on the open market? Would you do it?

I'm saying we need to pick and choose who we want/need and let some go like every other team in the NFL that has a lot of young talent. Draft picks are cheap. You build through the draft. Just because you aren't paid a lot doesn't mean you are a scrub. But when you nail a draft pick, in a few a years you need to pay them a ton or let them go. Winning in the NFL without a good QB takes a lot of luck. I'm not letting a good QB go unless there is no choice or a comparable alternative that this team doesn't have right now, but I'll tag him first if it comes to that.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
who the fuck gets 25 to 30M a year besides a QB or a stud DE? We've already paid the DE and still plus 60M UNDER the cap.

Fuck...I wish you'd take your bull shit back to the rangers board where you fit the fuck in.

It's about winning a championship and QB;s aren't found at you local 7-11.
Excuse me I'm not the one being an asshole. I expressed my opi in if you don't like it KMA

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not exactly, but whomever we want to keep we need to pay the going rate. Look around man. Look at what free agents are getting. Not from two or three years ago, but this year. The 4 highest paid DEs are Lawrence, Frank Clark, Trey Flowers and Dee Ford. Those aren't the 4 best DEs, but they are the most recent signings. That's how it works. Timing is as important as talent when it comes to contract amounts. I like Russell Wilson, but there is no chance he is hte best QB in the league, but he is the most recent to sign. How dumb would Dak be to sign with us for $22M or Zeke $10M when they can get much, much more on the open market? Would you do it?

I'm saying we need to pick and choose who we want/need and let some go like every other team in the NFL that has a lot of young talent. Draft picks are cheap. You build through the draft. Just because you aren't paid a lot doesn't mean you are a scrub. But when you nail a draft pick, in a few a years you need to pay them a ton or let them go. Winning in the NFL without a good QB takes a lot of luck. I'm not letting a good QB go unless there is no choice or a comparable alternative that this team doesn't have right now, but I'll tag him first if it comes to that.
I understand that unfortunately we have to pay I just don't think it's right. I offer 4 years 100M with 2 additional years at 30M and 32M team option. That's overly generous in my book

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that unfortunately we have to pay I just don't think it's right. I offer 4 years 100M with 2 additional years at 30M and 32M team option. That's overly generous in my book
I'm not sure you need a team option in an NFL contract since you can just cut him if you don't want to pay him. If you add all that up it comes to $27M per: 6 years at $162M. I'm not sure that gets it done, but who knows it's could be close since none of us knows exactly what's being kicked around. Usually players will accept a little less per year if they get more guaranteed money. Maybe if we guarantee a couple of years and give him a huge SB he accepts under $30M.

Regardless I'm sure the first couple of years base salaries will be much lower than the last couple of years. Let's assume he averages $30M per for 5 years. If so, it's probably structured with something like a $50M SB. That would mean $150M/5 years. Less the SB the salaries would average $20M per year. Year 1 of new contract could be like $15M and also guaranteed. So this year he goes from a $2M cap hit to a $12M cap hit (plus 1/5 of SB or $10M). 2020 could be a $25M cap hit ($10M SB plus $15M salary). That leaves about $21M left in salary per year and $30M in SB to allocate.

Obviously I have no clue and am not trying to say what I think he will get or how it will be structured. I'm simply trying to show here how the cap hits wouldn't be as crippling as I think some are assuming. This gives Dak $75M guaranteed which seems more than generous.

2019 $2M current + $10M SB= $12M cap hit
2020 $15M base + $10M SB = $25M 2020 base guaranteed
2021 $15M base + $10M SB = $25M
2022 $20M base + $10M SB = $30M
2023 $20M base + $10M SB = $35M
2024 $30M base = $30M

We could even tack on another $35M year at the end to make it a 6 year $185M deal or $31M per and we could just cut him before the 6th year begins with no impact if we wanted. We could also bump up the 2024 year salary to lower the other years because again if we don't restructure him to push money back we can cut him after 2023 with no dead money and never pay the 2024 salary

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DeMaurice sent out emails to agents and to the NFLPA to say nothing is imminent but players should be setting themselves up financially to ensure they can make it an entire year without pay. He thinks that here is likely going to be a year long work stoppage after the 2020 season.

I think everyone loses if that happens both the NFL and the players but it very well could happen.

Scot if you think players salaries are out of line now, wait until you see what they are asking for.