• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thankfully you're not in that position.

1. Seahawks QB Russell Wilson: $35 million
2. Packers QB Aaron Rodgers: $33.5 million
3. Falcons QB Matt Ryan: $30 million
4, Vikings QB Kirk Cousins: $28 million
5. 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5 million
6. Lions QB Matthew Stafford: $27 million
7. Raiders QB Derek Carr: $25 million
8. Saints QB Drew Brees: $25 million
9. Colts QB Andrew Luck: $24.6 million
10. Redskins QB Alex Smith: $23.5 million
Just playing Devils advocate...what % of those guys made the playoffs

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a valid point and the process you go through for every FA, but the discussion begins (and for now) ends with who plays QB for us the day Dak leaves? If we had a guy on the roster ready to step in I'd be more willing to entertain that thought. I'm not going to assume we draft a QB to replace Dak in a future year as that is too much of a crap shoot. Once a suitable replacement or FA signing is on board that discussion can take place. As we sit here today our QB if we let Dak go would be Mike White, Cooper Rush or unknown draft pick. As a Cowboy fan I just can't get behind that at any cost. But, this is part of why I don't give Dak top $ if it's my call this year since he has another year on his contract - but the main reason is to hopefully get him to sign for a little less. That gives us 12 months to figure out if we bring in someone else via draft or FA, Franchise Tag Dak or pony up the $$$. I suspect Dak's play this year will convince us all that ponying up the money and paying Dak will ultimately be the best choice :2cents:

Dak is the single most important player on this team. With or without Zeke or Amari we are a playoff contender. Without Dak we are looking at a top 5 draft pick:2cents:

He doesn't cost us those two and others. We clearly aren't resigning every FA. Right now I think the guy out the door is Collins if anyone shows they can play RT. If Dak and everyone else signs for top $ it likely costs us one more FA (Jones?) or maybe some in house cuts on existing guys like Crawford and not resigning some older vets like Lee and Witten. We have a ton of cap space. We likely only see the impact of 1/5 of the signing bonus against this year's cap for these guys as they all have a year plus to go on their contracts. So we probably aren't looking at a huge 2019 cap hit on any of them. It is imperative that we keep hitting on our draft picks to allow us to keep bringing in cheap talent.
Without Dak we are looking at a top 5 pick...but only because we go with scrub backups. With a legit backup, this team would still go .500, with a top backup(Foles) this team is still playoff bound. Not ripping Dak, just stating a fact

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without Dak we are looking at a top 5 pick...but only because we go with scrub backups. With a legit backup, this team would still go .500, with a top backup(Foles) this team is still playoff bound. Not ripping Dak, just stating a fact
Personally I don't think Foles is all that good.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I don't think Foles is all that good.
I'd have to disagree, but it depends on what we are talking about. He isn't Tom Brady...but he beat Brady in a Super Bowl. That ain't chicken feed

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree on making the playoffs with Foles part because I don't think we would, but that wasn't my point. My point was the first part you hit on...we do have "scrub backups", so if anyone is planning on letting Dak walk that must be part of the decision. Until I see a QB that is worth running out there 16 weeks a year on this team to step in, I can't let Dak go

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then your not signing him.
maybe not but at his age the max contract would come once he has established his status. why not offer him 4 years $100M with 2 team option years at $30M & $32 and see what he comes back with. a little above my previous AAV comment but I think it's a fair deal.

22M, 24M, 26M & 28M

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with you saying this is what you personally would offer him because it's your opinion, but clearly you don't want him here if you think there is any chance whatsoever that he only signs for that and/or that is all you would offer him. It's just not realistic to think a QB that has more wins over the last 3 years (and his only 3 years so he should improve) than everyone but Brady, one of the top 10 QB ratings of all time, won his division in 2 out of his 3 years and won Rookie of the year is going to sign for that little.

I heard a great stat today for those of you who think Zeke is the reason why Dak has any success. Zeke has one more TD rushing over the past two years than Dak does.
but Zeke being there in the backfield and the threat he presents is why Dak has done what he has done. take away zeke and put another running back and see how Dak performs

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure I agree on making the playoffs with Foles part because I don't think we would, but that wasn't my point. My point was the first part you hit on...we do have "scrub backups", so if anyone is planning on letting Dak walk that must be part of the decision. Until I see a QB that is worth running out there 16 weeks a year on this team to step in, I can't let Dak go
I have no problem with them giving Dak $30+, I love the kid. Just saying we will end up losing a BJones, JSmith, LVE caliber player at some point if we pay him that much. From what I've been seeing, it's gonna be around 32

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at what SF and Minny are currently paying for good QB play. Look at where the QB salaries are headed and let me know what YOU think Dallas should pay Dak.
Yep, it's the market setting the price. We either pay Dak or he walks and someone else pays him. In Minnesotas case they are paying lots of cash to a guy that folds whenever he faces a good defense. They have to be regretting signing Cousins.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with them giving Dak $30+, I love the kid. Just saying we will end up losing a BJones, JSmith, LVE caliber player at some point if we pay him that much. From what I've been seeing, it's gonna be around 32

You're gonna lose at least one guy you want to keep. Dak isn't one I'm willing to lose, saying here's 100M over 4 years is a sure fire way to do just that.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're gonna lose at least one guy you want to keep. Dak isn't one I'm willing to lose, saying here's 100M over 4 years is a sure fire way to do just that.
Personally I see us losing at least 2 players maybe more. There is a limited cap area and we rob ourself of talent by overpaying 1 or 2 and eating up cap space. 2020 cap is 188.2M so giving Dak 32M leaves the Cowboys having to face letting at least 2 or more of Zeke, Amari and others moving on to other teams. Do you see this team moving forward with just Dak?

Last edited:

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I see us losing at least 2 players maybe more. There is a limited cap area and we rob ourself of talent by overpaying 1 or 2 and eating up cap space. 2020 cap is 188.2M so giving Dak 32M leaves the Cowboys having to face letting at least 2 or more of Zeke, Amari and others moving on to other teams. Do you see this team moving forward with just Dak?
I understand this, but it's harder to find a Franchise QB than it is to find other positions.

There are others I'm willing to let walk before Dak.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do love Dak but how much worse/better are we letting him walk and spreading that $30 million around/drafting someone?

Quincy Carter
Anthony Wright
Ryan Leaf
Clint Stoerner
Chad Hutchinson
Vinny Testaverde
Drew Henson
Drew Bledsoe

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that's pretty short sided opinion you have there scotty....you been hanging with your friends on the ranger board to long with that question.

Two Points:

Jerry's biggest problem was paying everyone and he stayed in cap hell. Good team in today's market realize you can't keep the whole band together, and I think the Dallas brass understand this. Now the hard part is understanding which guys are must keeps and which are replaceable. I don't see how it's just Dak and the oline as you seem to indicate here.

Dallas went 3 & 3 when Elliott served his suspension, and I think we woulda won another game if Smith wasn't hurt. I know we would have fared better if we had the defense we did last year. Morris did just fine with Elliott out. I'm starting to think as good as Elliott is, he's not a guy you lock up long term. I also think you need a playmaker at receiver, rather that's Cooper or another guy, I can't say but Dallas found out the hard way the first 8 games last year and not likely to be that stupid again. Don't sleep on Gallup. He showed well last year as the season went on and should be much better this year and beyond.

I think Dak gets paid and also leaves a little on the table, but to think he takes 20M is just wrong. I'm sure it will work out.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's pretty short sided opinion you have there scotty....you been hanging with your friends on the ranger board to long with that question.

Two Points:

Jerry's biggest problem was paying everyone and he stayed in cap hell. Good team in today's market realize you can't keep the whole band together, and I think the Dallas brass understand this. Now the hard part is understanding which guys are must keeps and which are replaceable. I don't see how it's just Dak and the oline as you seem to indicate here.

Dallas went 3 & 3 when Elliott served his suspension, and I think we woulda won another game if Smith wasn't hurt. I know we would have fared better if we had the defense we did last year. Morris did just fine with Elliott out. I'm starting to think as good as Elliott is, he's not a guy you lock up long term. I also think you need a playmaker at receiver, rather that's Cooper or another guy, I can't say but Dallas found out the hard way the first 8 games last year and not likely to be that stupid again. Don't sleep on Gallup. He showed well last year as the season went on and should be much better this year and beyond.

I think Dak gets paid and also leaves a little on the table, but to think he takes 20M is just wrong. I'm sure it will work out.

Elliott is the guy I'd let walk first.

I I truely believe with the run blocking this line provides we don't need the best RB out there, and I see Morris as the measuring stick to show it.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliott is the guy I'd let walk first.

I I truely believe with the run blocking this line provides we don't need the best RB out there, and I see Morris as the measuring stick to show it.
Zeke is the best player on the team outside of maybe Martin. I'd lock him up through age 29-30