• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That depends on what he wants. If he wants to see the bar, he won't get that because he can be franchised twice. He's gonna be here 3 more years either way. If they let him play out his rookie deal and then franchise him twice, that'll be 3 years at around 69 million, 23/per. If they up him to 33 now, it's 99 the next 3(maybe lower salary but cap hit). I'd let him play this year out
1st off this would not be correct.
Because if we extend him 3 or 4 years he would be here for 5 or 6. Not three. We wouldnt nullify his last two years of his rookie deal we would be extending it. Which the way you are looking at it. Would bring down the average. Would it be as low as 23? No. But it would be for twice as long.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of reasons to let him play out the year. Financially if he plays horribly he will indeed get less if we keep him or perhaps we decide to not commit to him long term at all if he has a bad year. He could also get hurt and see his career end. I don't expect either of those two to happen, but they could and while both are bad for the team they would save us money. They are reasons that a player with a year left on his contract may take less - the old bird in the hand.

The other possibility not paying him more now is good is that he decides on 8/31 that $30M/year is indeed enough. Right now his agent is trying to squeeze out every penny, but I wouldn't be surprised if come late August/early September they see the team isn't going higher and 0decide that $30M is enough and agree to sign before playing a regular season game and risking injury. This would be the best case scenario IMO.

Another strategy is you sign him first next offseason. Think about it. In February we were all thinking $28M was the high end of what he would look for. Now that 3 plus more QBs have signed and it isn't. If he has a great year we could give him the $32M or so that he wants (I'm guessing the amount) in February and not let other QBs first sign and take that number higher.

I look at waiting as almost always best for the team and bad for the player. The cap goes up over time and the more you can push the salaries back the better off you are. It's also like insurance to wait. Of course most contracts will just be a little more each year (we could have saved a lot on D Law too) but the one player that you end up not resigning because of injury/poor performance/emergence of a cheaper option offsets the ones that go up.

I love Dak because of all of the intangibles he has. I read people saying he doesn't make players around him better and I think they have no idea what that term means because he absolutely does. I just wish by the time we give him $35M per year I could love his throwing of the ball and decision making as much as I love his leadership and ability to get things done in the clutch. Next offseason these discussions become more worrisome, but right now I see no reason to panic sign him. He is likely going to be our QB long term and he is likely to be a very rich man. If I had to guess I would say Amari and Dak both sign before week 1 and partly as a reward for doing things the right way and an FU to Zeke for doing things the wrong way.:2cents:
D-Law was different. he came into his own his final year of his contract. Cowboys had him in a prove it wasnt a fluke year. Cowboys also knew if he did, it would cost them more by waiting to sign him long term. & it did.
Dak isnt in a prove it wasnt a fluke scenario. The Cowboys know what they have with Dak & know they can win with him. he will get extended this year. That I am pretty confident at being right about. Also I dont look at it as a panic to sign him. It is just the process. Cowboys started at 30 mil & his people probably started at 35+ & they will meet somewhere in between. Its just a tuesday to those guys.

I do agree. Zeke should be the last to get a deal done. :thumb:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D-Law was different. he came into his own his final year of his contract. Cowboys had him in a prove it wasnt a fluke year. Cowboys also knew if he did, it would cost them more by waiting to sign him long term. & it did.
Dak isnt in a prove it wasnt a fluke scenario. The Cowboys know what they have with Dak & know they can win with him. he will get extended this year. That I am pretty confident at being right about. Also I dont look at it as a panic to sign him. It is just the process. Cowboys started at 30 mil & his people probably started at 35+ & they will meet somewhere in between. Its just a tuesday to those guys.

I think if the team was 100% confident that Dak is worth $35M/year he would have already received it. I think the team is more than happy to put it off one more year. I agree that is probably the spread $30M Team - $35M Dak.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if the team was 100% confident that Dak is worth $35M/year he would have already received it. I think the team is more than happy to put it off one more year. I agree that is probably the spread $30M Team - $35M Dak.
I don't know what this team is doing. They had over 20 million in cap space and cut Hurns to save money. Cowboys have tons of cap space and are hoarding it. They have more than enough money to pay Zeke, Amari, and Dak yet they are bullshitting and causing distractions for no reason.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Cowboys were the ones that made the mistake of building the team around Zeke. They should pay him first. Now they don't wanna pay him. Dak, Amari, and Zeke should all be paid by now.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Jane Slater reports Dak Prescott is seeking $40 million annually.

That would make Prescott the highest paid quarterback in the league. Prescott has already turned down $30 million annually. It's not impossible Prescott resets the market, but it's hard to see him getting $5 million more than Russell Wilson's $35M AAV. The Cowboys have a considerable gap to close before Week 1.
Source: Jane Slater on Twitter
Aug 12, 2019, 5:11 PM ET

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well @jarntt I guess my less than 1% chance haas just grown LOL

Didnt know he was gonna lose his ever lovin' mind!

Man I hope this is just agent propaganda!

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys Nation agrees, you deserve more than Wentz but easy Dak.....

source.gif

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st off this would not be correct.
Because if we extend him 3 or 4 years he would be here for 5 or 6. Not three. We wouldnt nullify his last two years of his rookie deal we would be extending it. Which the way you are looking at it. Would bring down the average. Would it be as low as 23? No. But it would be for twice as long.
It is correct for the next 3 years in that we could franchise him twice and by adding this year at a million the 3 year average would be about 23. I love this route for the club

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what this team is doing. They had over 20 million in cap space and cut Hurns to save money. Cowboys have tons of cap space and are hoarding it. They have more than enough money to pay Zeke, Amari, and Dak yet they are bullshitting and causing distractions for no reason.
First off you don't spend it just because you have it. You give only what you believe players are worth. You can roll the savings forward into the following league year and in effect double the cap space you have available the next year. It's smart. And lastly, screw Zeke, if he misses even one game I'm done with him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well @jarntt I guess my less than 1% chance haas just grown LOL

Didnt know he was gonna lose his ever lovin' mind!

Man I hope this is just agent propaganda!
I'm assuming you saw by now it was reported to be false. If Dak really wanted $40M he might as well just walk out the door with Zeke.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming you saw by now it was reported to be false. If Dak really wanted $40M he might as well just walk out the door with Zeke.
yeah I just read something that Manster posted. Even if it were at 40. I cant see them as being serious.
Guess if they are wanting 35 & the cowboys say 30 they would say 40 & then meet in the middle. But that was crazy to read LOL

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the longer we wait. The more expensive it will get.
only if this team wins...if they go 8-8 or worse then it won't cost any more than what it will cost today...maybe less

Dallas has the leverage when you consider letting him play out this year and then franchise him for one or two years.

everything we're hearing at this point is his agents trying to get the most possible cash for their client

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only if this team wins...if they go 8-8 or worse then it won't cost any more than what it will cost today...maybe less

Dallas has the leverage when you consider letting him play out this year and then franchise him for one or two years.

everything we're hearing at this point is his agents trying to get the most possible cash for their client
well I dont plan on Dak shitting the bed.
Keenum, that redskins QB that went to Minn, Jimmy G. a lot of Qbs got paid top money without being a top QB.
If we get him between the 33 & 34 mil. it will look like a bargain by this time next year. (as stupid as that sounds LOL)
But yeah. If Dak prices himself out like Bell did. Then yeah we have to wait.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First off you don't spend it just because you have it. You give only what you believe players are worth. You can roll the savings forward into the following league year and in effect double the cap space you have available the next year. It's smart. And lastly, screw Zeke, if he misses even one game I'm done with him.
Dallas is hoarding money when there is no reason to. I'll never understand why fans side with teams over players. Zeke shouldn't play a single game until he gets paid regardless of what you think of him. "You give only what you believe players are worth." That is such a company line. Dak Prescott has won us two divisional titles and a playoff game while making less than 2 million in his first three years starting. Dak has been severely underpaid for years. He should break the market. Fuck what the Cowboys think he is worth.

They cut Hurns to save money WHEN THEY HAD MONEY. Hurns is better than Cobb and Austin. Certainly many people may not agree with that, but the main point is, look at what they did to Hurns. They cut him to save money when they have over 20 million in cap space right now. LET THAT SINK IN.

NOW you are saying you are DONE with Zeke if he doesn't play? Look at how owners don't honor contracts and cut players like Hurns on a whim. Players get thrown in the garbage everyday and nobody cares but when someone like Zeke wants to step up and use his leverage so he can get a guaranteed contract, fans criticize him.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas is hoarding money when there is no reason to. I'll never understand why fans side with teams over players. Zeke shouldn't play a single game until he gets paid regardless of what you think of him. "You give only what you believe players are worth." That is such a company line. Dak Prescott has won us two divisional titles and a playoff game while making less than 2 million in his first three years starting. Dak has been severely underpaid for years. He should break the market. Fuck what the Cowboys think he is worth.

They cut Hurns to save money WHEN THEY HAD MONEY. Hurns is better than Cobb and Austin. Certainly many people may not agree with that, but the main point is, look at what they did to Hurns. They cut him to save money when they have over 20 million in cap space right now. LET THAT SINK IN.

NOW you are saying you are DONE with Zeke if he doesn't play? Look at how owners don't honor contracts and cut players like Hurns on a whim. Players get thrown in the garbage everyday and nobody cares but when someone like Zeke wants to step up and use his leverage so he can get a guaranteed contract, fans criticize him.
So just give them $100M each because they want it. Fans are thankfully not in charge of the purse strings.

Hurns had a gruesome injury and was average at best last year. He signed a one year contract for "up to" $3M. Looks like no one other than you thinks it was a bad move. Dallas offered him a pay cut to stay. He refused. Don't you get that his money will eventually be used for someone else? LET THAT SINK IN

that's right Fuck Zeke, He has two years left on his contract. He isn't even next in line for a deal. If he is back before week 1 I'll welcome him back with open arms. If he misses even one game any fan that sides with him is an idiot.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There is no reason for the Cowboys to give him over 30. Letting him play out this year and a tag or two saves the club money and they can still sign him long term at any point. Meanwhile, everything will work itself out. If the club wins a Super Bowl, he will get his money either way. It they go 7-9, 8-8 with the talent around Dak, no one else will give him more than 30 and the price goes down. They will get the value of what they pay for. 35 right would be absurd

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason for the Cowboys to give him over 30. Letting him play out this year and a tag or two saves the club money and they can still sign him long term at any point. Meanwhile, everything will work itself out. If the club wins a Super Bowl, he will get his money either way. It they go 7-9, 8-8 with the talent around Dak, no one else will give him more than 30 and the price goes down. They will get the value of what they pay for. 35 right would be absurd
Exactly. If they agree on a deal then pay him now. If not wait. The team has all the leverage and is in no hurry and shouldn't be. Why this is even such a topic I don't even get. Here is your offer Dak because we love you and want you as our QB. If you don't like it we'll talk again next year and hopefully you play so well and we have so much team success that we give you even more. But some fans cry we don't just hand out every penny we are under the cap the second a player asks for it when there are 10 more young stars behind Zeke and Dak to be paid also. They'll be the first ones to complain when we can't sign LVE and/or Jaylon because we gave everyone 10% more than they were worth just to make them happy

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Cowboys made a fair offer to Dak. Cowboys should not budge on this and let Dak prove he is worth what his agents are asking for. Zeke on the other hand still has two years left on his deal and he has no fucking business holding out as far as I am concerned.