• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Dak Prescott

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On another note. It looks like we may need a kicker. I keep hearing Maher is struggling.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice throw, but again the footwork is bad any time there is pressure. It's not the end of the world if his footwork isn't perfect, but it brings into question all of the reports about Kitna being a huge help and cleaning up Dak's technique. I was hoping to see his footwork better and see if that resulted in more accuracy. Oftentimes just by watching Dak step, throw and release you can tell if it is going to be overthrown before you even see the ball flight

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to spend the next 4-5 years or more finding a QB?. Then you wasted your young running back, and young defense, sucking grooming a young QB. Not me. I don't want to spend more years looking for a QB when we have one. He is not elite, but he damn sure can win for us. Good QB's are hard to find.

That's fine I fully understand your position. I think paying a non elite QB does exactly what your saying looking for a new young QB does. Correct Good Qb's are hard to find and paying Elite Money to one that is not Elite is not the answer either. ( its where the market is right now but that does not make it the correct way to go) if Dak rises and shows what he can do this season pay the man if not make a offer accordingly or make other arrangements. I would not extend him this year but its not my $$ nor my team im just a fan
The Cowboys should be drafting a QB every other year to develop. Mayybe the White pick will start that trend.
I am not a Dak hater I would love for him to be the second coming of Roger Troy and Tony all rolled up into 1 with a big red ribbon.

We have been spoiled in Dallas with Meredith then Roger then Danny then Troy a few years wondering the desert before Tony and now we have Dak a solid guy good leader.
I don't relish going back to the Hogebooms, Carters, Henson's days of QB's in Dallas.

Right now Dak can win with the right players around him with a 30 plus million Dollar contact that takes away a bunch from surrounding him with that talent that's all I am saying. Lots of moving parts.

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the best case scenario is waiting until next year. I get that if Dak does well he likely gets even more money than today but I would love to see if he takes a step forward in his development or not. If we have a crappy year it likely means Garrett is gone and if we indeed to hire a new coach he may have different views on the Offense we run and the QB position in Dallas IF Dak has a poor season. Personally I suspect Dak has his best statistical year and earns a big contract and costs us more than he would have today but I see that as a good thing. The bottom line is Dak can't go anywhere else unless we want him to. He could cost us more or hold out, but we have him under our sole control for the next couple of years if we so choose. Same with Zeke.

Pay Cooper and figure out everyone else next year. All of these contracts are related and depend upon each other. If Byron Jones has a great year and our young corners don't look great we have to tag him or sign him to a huge deal. If he is average and/or the other guys look good we can let him walk. Same with L. Collins whom I expect to not resign and even Malik Collins is in a similar position. I am much higher on him than most but if Woods plays well again and the rookie looks promising we could save a few bucks there if Collins has a big year and will be looking for big $'s because I think we have a lot of depth on the DL.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not extend him this year but its not my $$ nor my team im just a fan
I think part of what some might not be thinking about.
If you extend him while still on the cheap of his rookie deal. it is easier to spread the bonus money over the cheap years so it doesnt ding the cap as bad as when they just have a brand new contract.
Unless the Cowboys have doubts about Dak. Which I dont believe they do. it is best to just extend him this year. Cheaper as well. If you wait til next year. More QBs will get signed just moving that QB contract # up even higher. I wish we would have signed Dak before the Wentz deal. (or even better before the Wilson deal)
I am about as close to 100% confident as you can get he has an extension before week 1.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think part of what some might not be thinking about.
If you extend him while still on the cheap of his rookie deal. it is easier to spread the bonus money over the cheap years so it doesnt ding the cap as bad as when they just have a brand new contract.
Unless the Cowboys have doubts about Dak. Which I dont believe they do. it is best to just extend him this year. Cheaper as well. If you wait til next year. More QBs will get signed just moving that QB contract # up even higher. I wish we would have signed Dak before the Wentz deal. (or even better before the Wilson deal)
I am about as close to 100% confident as you can get he has an extension before week 1.
Why? It's the opposite, no? If we don't extend him this year at all we only incur a $2M cap hit the savings against the cap for not having to amortize the bonus money at all can be rolled into next year when we start paying him and we also keep from having to restructure anyone else and move their money back. Plus, the first year of his new deal is going to be the same cap hit whether we do it this year or next year since the bonus is spread over 5 years. It's year 5 after the bonus would have already been accounted for if signed this year but we still have one year left to allocate it to if signed next year that we see a benefit.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? It's the opposite, no? If we don't extend him this year at all we only incur a $2M cap hit the savings against the cap for not having to amortize the bonus money at all can be rolled into next year when we start paying him and we also keep from having to restructure anyone else and move their money back. Plus, the first year of his new deal is going to be the same cap hit whether we do it this year or next year since the bonus is spread over 5 years. It's year 5 after the bonus would have already been accounted for if signed this year but we still have one year left to allocate it to if signed next year that we see a benefit.
well you have a point if we are up against the cap to tight, but I don't see that as of now.
not just signing bonuses, but they can throw a roster bonus on his really cheap year so not to have to back load the extension later. (or whatever inventive bonuses they use nowadays.) Gives more maneuverability in where the money is put. Because I believe he will still be a cowboy after the extension.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well you have a point if we are up against the cap to tight, but I don't see that as of now.
not just signing bonuses, but they can throw a roster bonus on his really cheap year so not to have to back load the extension later. (or whatever inventive bonuses they use nowadays.) Gives more maneuverability in where the money is put. Because I believe he will still be a cowboy after the extension.
You can only spread bonuses out for 5 years. Regardless I don't think we can say it's better for the cap to sign him earlier. The more you push back the less high earning years a player has when he only has 10 seasons. But, I can't argue the point that if Dak has a good year he will cost us a lot more. I'm just saying I see that as an awesome thing. I'll give him $3M more per year next year and feel more comfortable if he has a big year.

But, I'm not too worried about our cap. The first thing i do next year if we sign the 3 plus Jones or one of the Collins kids is cut Crawford. Good player but next year we save $8M by cutting him. He's now more a role player and the other players are just more important than him. There is half of Zeke's money right there for year 1 at least. We need to be willing to cut some guys to keep others.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And i hope he is a Cowboy after the extension too. That's the best case scenario.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Dak has turned down 30 million per yr. Wow. Hopefully this isn’t true.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Word is Dak has turned down 30 million per yr. Wow. Hopefully this isn’t true.
I figure he should end up around Rodgers money. 33.5 mil Always figured over the wentz deal & less than the Wilson deal
We always knew he wouldnt take the low side of a top 5 money. Not how QB contract work unfortunately. I just hope he isnt gonna be so stubborn to be highest paid 35+

Which depending on the agent. Might be the possibility.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figure he should end up around Rodgers money. 33.5 mil Always figured over the wentz deal & less than the Wilson deal
We always knew he wouldnt take the low side of a top 5 money. Not how QB contract work unfortunately. I just hope he isnt gonna be so stubborn to be highest paid 35+

Which depending on the agent. Might be the possibility.

Well I guess get what you can while you can. I personally think it is crazy but if they are willing to give it ,so be it

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I guess get what you can while you can. I personally think it is crazy but if they are willing to give it ,so be it
I agree
Dak loves it when he's doubted...was in HS, Miss St and as a pro. I say let him play out his contract this year, which seems to be the direction Dak prefers. So be it...maybe it's a win win in the long run.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree
Dak loves it when he's doubted...was in HS, Miss St and as a pro. I say let him play out his contract this year, which seems to be the direction Dak prefers. So be it...maybe it's a win win in the long run.
I agree with this. The Cowboys offered him what would be the 6th highest salary in the league. Let him play out this season, worst case scenario, they franchise him and have to give him the average of the top 5. I wouldn't offer another penny right now

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. The Cowboys offered him what would be the 6th highest salary in the league. Let him play out this season, worst case scenario, they franchise him and have to give him the average of the top 5. I wouldn't offer another penny right now
the longer we wait. The more expensive it will get.
The only way your way is better, is if we dont plan on resigning him long term at all.
Which I give a less than 1% chance. So dont see any reason to wait til next year. it will just cost us more & we are gonna do it anyways.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree

I was meaning that I think it’s crazy for Dak not to sign. Offering him 30 million per year is not doubting him in my opinion.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only way your way is better, is if we dont plan on resigning him long term at all.
Which I give a less than 1% chance. So dont see any reason to wait til next year. it will just cost us more & we are gonna do it anyways.
That depends on what he wants. If he wants to see the bar, he won't get that because he can be franchised twice. He's gonna be here 3 more years either way. If they let him play out his rookie deal and then franchise him twice, that'll be 3 years at around 69 million, 23/per. If they up him to 33 now, it's 99 the next 3(maybe lower salary but cap hit). I'd let him play this year out

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a lot of reasons to let him play out the year. Financially if he plays horribly he will indeed get less if we keep him or perhaps we decide to not commit to him long term at all if he has a bad year. He could also get hurt and see his career end. I don't expect either of those two to happen, but they could and while both are bad for the team they would save us money. They are reasons that a player with a year left on his contract may take less - the old bird in the hand.

The other possibility not paying him more now is good is that he decides on 8/31 that $30M/year is indeed enough. Right now his agent is trying to squeeze out every penny, but I wouldn't be surprised if come late August/early September they see the team isn't going higher and 0decide that $30M is enough and agree to sign before playing a regular season game and risking injury. This would be the best case scenario IMO.

Another strategy is you sign him first next offseason. Think about it. In February we were all thinking $28M was the high end of what he would look for. Now that 3 plus more QBs have signed and it isn't. If he has a great year we could give him the $32M or so that he wants (I'm guessing the amount) in February and not let other QBs first sign and take that number higher.

I look at waiting as almost always best for the team and bad for the player. The cap goes up over time and the more you can push the salaries back the better off you are. It's also like insurance to wait. Of course most contracts will just be a little more each year (we could have saved a lot on D Law too) but the one player that you end up not resigning because of injury/poor performance/emergence of a cheaper option offsets the ones that go up.

I love Dak because of all of the intangibles he has. I read people saying he doesn't make players around him better and I think they have no idea what that term means because he absolutely does. I just wish by the time we give him $35M per year I could love his throwing of the ball and decision making as much as I love his leadership and ability to get things done in the clutch. Next offseason these discussions become more worrisome, but right now I see no reason to panic sign him. He is likely going to be our QB long term and he is likely to be a very rich man. If I had to guess I would say Amari and Dak both sign before week 1 and partly as a reward for doing things the right way and an FU to Zeke for doing things the wrong way.:2cents: