• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D2

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify too - I really enjoy this league and Im not trying to make a stink about the rule. All 3 of my dynasty leagues have trade deadlines and I understand its a common thing. I always assumed it made sense until somebody explained the no trade deadline idea and I saw the light. But Im not really expecting us to change the rule cuz I know most people dont agree. Just think its an interesting debate and if Im lucky Ill get the rule changed - if not no big deal.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop yelling, EHB!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to clarify too - I really enjoy this league and Im not trying to make a stink about the rule. All 3 of my dynasty leagues have trade deadlines and I understand its a common thing. I always assumed it made sense until somebody explained the no trade deadline idea and I saw the light. But Im not really expecting us to change the rule cuz I know most people dont agree. Just think its an interesting debate and if Im lucky Ill get the rule changed - if not no big deal.

One thing about deadlines I like. It spurs action. You see that in sports with contracts and trades, little action until the deadline arrives. We might want to think about making it later to get seperation between contenders and pretenders.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing about deadlines I like. It spurs action. You see that in sports with contracts and trades, little action until the deadline arrives. We might want to think about making it later to get seperation between contenders and pretenders.

Thats true, thats the one thing I like about trade deadlines. But I also think we have a fairly active league and in general as teams become more comfortable with buying or selling theyll be more likely to trade anyways.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if we have a deadline it should be at the start of the playoffs. I still don't prefer that over no deadline but at least it's not an arbitrary cutoff.

I completely disagree. If you have those vets you absolutely should be able to unload them for picks. Any team in the playoffs can still very much so lose that trade - theyre giving up valuable future assets. So there is definitely downside for them. And the team thats bad shouldnt be held back from improving their team by some arbitrary rule. Your description basically says you support a rule that makes it harder for bad teams to improve in the future AND harder for good teams to improve in the now. Why would that be a good thing? Why would we want to stop teams from doing reasonable fair moves to improve their teams AND simultaneously make it harder for bad teams to get better?

Having no trade deadline in no way makes the league less fair - it does the opposite. It creates more competition and ways to improve your team regardless of your teams condition. It also helps mitigate the chances of a bad luck injury derailing a deserving teams chances mid playoffs. Plus it cant be unfair for playoff teams to add win now assets when literally any playoff team would have the opportunity to. If I make the playoffs this year and decide at the start of them to trade all my picks in the next 3 years for DeMarco Murray just to win a title this year thats fine. Because any other team couldve done the same and I also then have to live with the consequences of that trade for years to come (plus I can trade for Murray and still not win).

Those scenarios don't happen. What does happen is one player for one pick. That pick, being almost irrelevant to the playoff team. I trade my 15th overall pick for Jordy Nelson.

Next year, that 15th overall pick is highly unlikely to be on my team the next November. Maybe he is a good pick... either way, when I'm keeping 15 players, that ONE does not matter.

And I'm not saying you can't sell players for picks. I'm saying doing it when you know your outcome already involves no strategy.

Make that decision in week 9. You still have the pick, and the team that got the free player still has to work for it.

And if I offer Brees up... who do you think I'm trading with? Pick 12 or pick 16? So no, all teams cannot offer the same thing. Another benefit of a deadline. Maybe you make a deal and end up getting a top five pick? And maybe the team that traded the pick doesn't even make the playoffs? All risks and scenarios that make leagues better.

Off seasons and drafts are just as capable of having these types of deals, with no butterfly effect on what happens in the playoffs.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those scenarios don't happen. What does happen is one player for one pick. That pick, being almost irrelevant to the playoff team. I trade my 15th overall pick for Jordy Nelson.

Next year, that 15th overall pick is highly unlikely to be on my team the next November. Maybe he is a good pick... either way, when I'm keeping 15 players, that ONE does not matter.

In our startup draft (in what was considered a weak rookie class) Michael Thomas was the 18th rookie selected and Will Fuller was the 19th rookie selected. Both are probably worth as much as Jordy right now if not more. The 15th pick in a rookie draft is not worthless at all, but if it is so worthless than more teams shouldve been willing to trade for Jordy at what is apparently too low of a price. Dont penalize the one team that capitalized on an opportunity.

And I'm not saying you can't sell players for picks. I'm saying doing it when you know your outcome already involves no strategy.

Does this matter though? You still have to find a trade partner and make the deal thats best for your team. Intentionally making things harder for teams is a bad idea IMO.

Make that decision in week 9. You still have the pick, and the team that got the free player still has to work for it.

Why do I have to trade him in week 9? Maybe Im still competitive then. And either way if I trade him away Im doing it only because it makes my team better off. If the 15th pick is more valuable to me than Jordy I should be allowed to have the 15th pick. Then its a win-win. Both teams get what they want, which is a good thing.

And if I offer Brees up... who do you think I'm trading with? Pick 12 or pick 16? So no, all teams cannot offer the same thing. Another benefit of a deadline. Maybe you make a deal and end up getting a top five pick? And maybe the team that traded the pick doesn't even make the playoffs? All risks and scenarios that make leagues better.

It wouldnt be pick 12 vs pick 16 though. The owner with pick 16 could easily offer pick 16 plus a 2nd and 3rd rounder and just like that their even. If he doesnt want to offer more thats fine, that just means the most deserving buyer got Brees - nothing wrong with that. You can always offer more assets to a deal unless you have none left - in which case you dont deserve the player your trying to get anyways (assuming somebody else is paying that price).

Off seasons and drafts are just as capable of having these types of deals, with no butterfly effect on what happens in the playoffs.

Everything has an effect on the playoffs though. Trades in week 1 still have an effect on the playoffs too. Theres nothing wrong with affecting the playoffs. There is something wrong with limiting the options teams have to make themselves better for a quarter of the season though.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Always constructive debates in here.... never assume otherwise. We all sound like we're yelling at times... and never really are.

Cheers....

So, about that Tyler guy.... never thought to dangle my 1st rounder. ;)

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Always constructive debates in here.... never assume otherwise. We all sound like we're yelling at times... and never really are.

Cheers....

So, about that Tyler guy.... never thought to dangle my 1st rounder. ;)

After yesterday I was feeling pretty confident I wanted to keep him and I do plan to contend for this year but throwing in a 1st rounder couldnt hurt :nod:

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has to be a deadline. You really can't be trading away players during the playoffs after you get eliminated. Now, don't get me wrong. I will be the first to do this if we allow it. But I would really like to see a deadline. As I said before, week 10 or 11 is perfect. You know what your team is like by then and how good or bad your chances are, but nothing is clinched (usually) by then and teams can make a run or free fall.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There has to be a deadline. You really can't be trading away players during the playoffs after you get eliminated. Now, don't get me wrong. I will be the first to do this if we allow it. But I would really like to see a deadline. As I said before, week 10 or 11 is perfect. You know what your team is like by then and how good or bad your chances are, but nothing is clinched (usually) by then and teams can make a run or free fall.

Why does there have to be a deadline though?

Say I miss the playoffs and at the start of the playoffs you offer me a first round pick for drew brees. Why should either of us not be allowed to do that? Sure it makes your team have a better chance to win it all but 1) so does any trade like that no matter when in the year it happens, 2) you have to pay the price of not having a 1st round pick now so you arent just magically or unfairly improving your team at no cost, and 3) any other playoff team could have also traded for drew brees so its not like you had an unfair advantage over them.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why does there have to be a deadline though?

Say I miss the playoffs and at the start of the playoffs you offer me a first round pick for drew brees. Why should either of us not be allowed to do that? Sure it makes your team have a better chance to win it all but 1) so does any trade like that no matter when in the year it happens, 2) you have to pay the price of not having a 1st round pick now so you arent just magically or unfairly improving your team at no cost, and 3) any other playoff team could have also traded for drew brees so its not like you had an unfair advantage over them.

Think the reason you see trade deadlines in dynasty leagues, is because trades are always a hot button in leagues. It gets ramped up as the sprint to the championship begins. The FF world learned that a deadline can eliminate the time period where emotions can most likely erupt over a trade. :2cents:

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think the reason you see trade deadlines in dynasty leagues, is because trades are always a hot button in leagues. It gets ramped up as the sprint to the championship begins. The FF world learned that a deadline can eliminate the time period where emotions can most likely erupt over a trade. :2cents:

This is probably true too, but Id just say whoever gets annoyed should deal with it. If its the rule, its the rule and its really not unfair in any way so they wouldnt really have anything to be pissed about IMO.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get trades where someone is not paying enough attention and trades away C J Anderson for Denard Robinson.

After reading all of these, IMO keep the deadline but move it back a few weeks.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The deadline is already set for this year, correct? Then it should stay that way, IMO.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get trades where someone is not paying enough attention and trades away C J Anderson for Denard Robinson.

After reading all of these, IMO keep the deadline but move it back a few weeks.

I am thinking before week 11. 9 is too soon, but there should be some space between the deadline and the playoffs.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes like every other rule in this league. I refuse to change them in season.

So no changing the date? Seems to be a lot of folks feeling week 11 instead of 9 is the optimum date.