• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

D2

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there should be a trade deadline. You shouldn't have trades during the playoffs. Really, you shouldn't have trades past week 10 or 11, imo.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. In dynasty leagues there should be a deadline.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree wholeheartedly with this. In dynasty leagues there should be a deadline.

I'm good either way. Always like the option to make a trade, but a deadline keeps from some team in the playoffs benefiting from a trade with a team looking for next season.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good either way. Always like the option to make a trade, but a deadline keeps from some team in the playoffs benefiting from a trade with a team looking for next season.

I think more than anything, it forces you to make a choice to be a buyer or a seller. I don't think you should be able to wait until you are officially eliminated from the playoffs to make that choice. I am perfectly fine with picks for player trades, etc, but they should not happen within a couple weeks of the playoffs.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a trade deadline is appropriate.
The NFL has one.
And a dynasty league mimics the NFL.
Otherwise I have no opinion.
You guys seem to have a good handle on it.

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@femurov Cobb is out, so don't forget to swap him out.
Yeah, that was a pain in the ass. Since I started Kendall Wright in my flex spot and he played on Thursday, it wouldn't let me swap out a player at a different position there. And since I didn't have a WR that hasn't already played or is on bye, I had to make a ww move for a WR and cut someone that I didn't want to cut.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@femurov it is a tiebreaker but like the fifth or sixth tiebreaker. In the case you just wrote I would just bite the bullet and go without a player.

Trade Deadline

Was not discussed and it looks like we are split down the middle. I guess it is an issue I can forget about.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think more than anything, it forces you to make a choice to be a buyer or a seller. I don't think you should be able to wait until you are officially eliminated from the playoffs to make that choice. I am perfectly fine with picks for player trades, etc, but they should not happen within a couple weeks of the playoffs.

But if you keep it you can screw teams over. And there's no downside to having imo. More options is pretty much always better.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if you keep it you can screw teams over. And there's no downside to having imo. More options is pretty much always better.

Screw teams over how?

There is a downside to keeping it, IMO.

I am fine with teams deciding to sell current assets for future assets. That is a great strategical play. But, in order to do that, there has to be some measure of sacrifice. Take away the trade deadline and a fringe playoff team can wait until the regular season is over to make that sellers deal. I think that sucks.

while I don't think every pro sports league rule applies to fantasy, this is one that does. I am fine with no deadline in seasonal leagues. Not in dynasty though. Make your buy/sell decisions early. If you are a contender, trade for the depth you need to solidify your roster.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Screw teams over how?

There is a downside to keeping it, IMO.

I am fine with teams deciding to sell current assets for future assets. That is a great strategical play. But, in order to do that, there has to be some measure of sacrifice. Take away the trade deadline and a fringe playoff team can wait until the regular season is over to make that sellers deal. I think that sucks.

while I don't think every pro sports league rule applies to fantasy, this is one that does. I am fine with no deadline in seasonal leagues. Not in dynasty though. Make your buy/sell decisions early. If you are a contender, trade for the depth you need to solidify your roster.

Well we just disagree on wether that team should be able to sell at that point. I think they absolutely should be able too. Say i get eliminated in the last week of the regular season and the same week drew Brees announces he's retiring at the end of the season. Guess who's getting dropped. And somehow I'm guessing the playoff teams that don't get him won't like that but it's the best move for my team because of the way the rules are set up. Just an example but point is constricting the way a team can build especially in a league when you build for both the now and the future is always a bad idea IMO.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks Hawkins... couldn't have done that the last two weeks when you were in my lineup!

femurov

Hoopla Cash
$ 438.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade bait updated. Looking for a RB. Willing to add picks if necessary.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we just disagree on wether that team should be able to sell at that point. I think they absolutely should be able too. Say i get eliminated in the last week of the regular season and the same week drew Brees announces he's retiring at the end of the season. Guess who's getting dropped. And somehow I'm guessing the playoff teams that don't get him won't like that but it's the best move for my team because of the way the rules are set up. Just an example but point is constricting the way a team can build especially in a league when you build for both the now and the future is always a bad idea IMO.

That might happen. But it is also the point of the deadline. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Have to make a decision with those highly productive vets. If you want to get a future asset, then great, but you can't do it after your gets eliminated from the playoffs.

Either make your run or sell. Can't do both.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That might happen. But it is also the point of the deadline. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Have to make a decision with those highly productive vets. If you want to get a future asset, then great, but you can't do it after your gets eliminated from the playoffs.

Either make your run or sell. Can't do both.

Not sure I understand why. Why can I make moves to improve my team for both the future or the now in week 9 but then in week 10 it's suddenly not ok.

It's also not having cake and eating it too. No matter when you trade you have to give up assets for other assets. You aren't cheating the system because you're competing you're just looking at different assets.

I think trade deadlines exist because people are used to them. I don't think they serve any practical function in a dynasty league.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw my two cents in here in the deadline debate. .

I'm mostly with Tlance, and anyone else who agrees there should be one, but the latter the better. whatever week the regular season ends, the trade deadline should be that Wednesday, or at the earliest, a week prior to those games, definitely not in week 9 or 10 though. you'll still be able to ride the fence as long as possible, yet ultimately, you have to make the call, before the call is made for you.

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone want Bortles? he can be had cheap.

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade bait updated. Looking for a RB. Willing to add picks if necessary.
My RB situation is horrid. Started Bibbs this week because I had no other option. Probably cost me against Treff this week. It doesn't look like it is getting any better the rest of year.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I understand why. Why can I make moves to improve my team for both the future or the now in week 9 but then in week 10 it's suddenly not ok.

It's also not having cake and eating it too. No matter when you trade you have to give up assets for other assets. You aren't cheating the system because you're competing you're just looking at different assets.

I think trade deadlines exist because people are used to them. I don't think they serve any practical function in a dynasty league.

Totally opposite for me. In a dynasty, if you have Brees or Brady or Gore or any vet that is not consistent with your next year (or anyone's if they retire), you shouldn't be able to unload them for picks late in the season. Any team in the playoffs is gladly giving up picks for players. There is absolutely NO downside. They cannot lose the trade. Therefore causing every year of the playoffs to have a negative effect to fair play. The flip side is also true. Any team not in the playoffs gets to unload next year's trash for better picks.... knowing which picks are where. There is NO disadvantage.

Having to make the decision in week 9, gives both teams a chance at whiffing.

I don't understand the opposite reasoning. Even in redrafts. The only reason I don't put up a stink in MBBRL, is because of the crew involved. But I still totally disagree with being able to make a trade in December. That said, we do have oblivion and such to make every team be "in it" to the end.... and most importantly, have no picks to trade. Dynasty? There is no such obstruction to make someone hesitate just giving someone away, creating unbalance in the playoffs.

How stupid would baseball be if the Red Sox acquired Verlander after the Braves beat the Tigers 1-0 to eliminate them in game 162? It just makes no sense.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to throw my two cents in here in the deadline debate. .

I'm mostly with Tlance, and anyone else who agrees there should be one, but the latter the better. whatever week the regular season ends, the trade deadline should be that Wednesday, or at the earliest, a week prior to those games, definitely not in week 9 or 10 though. you'll still be able to ride the fence as long as possible, yet ultimately, you have to make the call, before the call is made for you.

I think if we have a deadline it should be at the start of the playoffs. I still don't prefer that over no deadline but at least it's not an arbitrary cutoff.

Totally opposite for me. In a dynasty, if you have Brees or Brady or Gore or any vet that is not consistent with your next year (or anyone's if they retire), you shouldn't be able to unload them for picks late in the season. Any team in the playoffs is gladly giving up picks for players. There is absolutely NO downside. They cannot lose the trade. Therefore causing every year of the playoffs to have a negative effect to fair play. The flip side is also true. Any team not in the playoffs gets to unload next year's trash for better picks.... knowing which picks are where. There is NO disadvantage.

Having to make the decision in week 9, gives both teams a chance at whiffing.

I don't understand the opposite reasoning. Even in redrafts. The only reason I don't put up a stink in MBBRL, is because of the crew involved. But I still totally disagree with being able to make a trade in December. That said, we do have oblivion and such to make every team be "in it" to the end.... and most importantly, have no picks to trade. Dynasty? There is no such obstruction to make someone hesitate just giving someone away, creating unbalance in the playoffs.

How stupid would baseball be if the Red Sox acquired Verlander after the Braves beat the Tigers 1-0 to eliminate them in game 162? It just makes no sense.

I completely disagree. If you have those vets you absolutely should be able to unload them for picks. Any team in the playoffs can still very much so lose that trade - theyre giving up valuable future assets. So there is definitely downside for them. And the team thats bad shouldnt be held back from improving their team by some arbitrary rule. Your description basically says you support a rule that makes it harder for bad teams to improve in the future AND harder for good teams to improve in the now. Why would that be a good thing? Why would we want to stop teams from doing reasonable fair moves to improve their teams AND simultaneously make it harder for bad teams to get better?

Having no trade deadline in no way makes the league less fair - it does the opposite. It creates more competition and ways to improve your team regardless of your teams condition. It also helps mitigate the chances of a bad luck injury derailing a deserving teams chances mid playoffs. Plus it cant be unfair for playoff teams to add win now assets when literally any playoff team would have the opportunity to. If I make the playoffs this year and decide at the start of them to trade all my picks in the next 3 years for DeMarco Murray just to win a title this year thats fine. Because any other team couldve done the same and I also then have to live with the consequences of that trade for years to come (plus I can trade for Murray and still not win).