• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curious as to why some think Kaepernick isn't doing well

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What has Kaep done to prove he is better than Smith?? None of the numbers back it up, he isnt winning at a great clip than Alex was, listen I am not anti CK. I hope he does well for you guys ( unless you play Atlanta :) ) I just dont get the huge love affair for a guy that has done absolutely nothing that your prior guy didnt do. Makes zero sense. I have watched the games and maybe its because I am 100% unbiased but you guys arent any better now than you were 6 games ago with the other guy under center. And yes I will only feel better about a guy after he wins a road game against a playoff caliber team. Why is that "delusional"?? The odds are you are going to need to win a road game at some point if you want to win a SB unless the SB is in San Francisco this eyar and no one told me.

You can hardly pay any attention to Alex's record. Majority of his games were won in spite of him, not because of him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They say you are trying to win a SB with a guy with 7 career starts instead of a guy with 7 years of experience that has been through the highs and lows, a guy that has already played in HUGE playoff games and won, a guy that has proven he can win in the postseason and you are doing it all because the new guy theoretically gives you bigger playmaking ability despite the fact that your coach has decided not to run any offense that lets him use that ability and the fact that you absolutely do not even need bigger playmaking ability to win a Super Bowl . LOL. Thats what it says. It says the stats are the same, you lost the experience all to try to gain something you didnt need in the first place. Congrats. Awesome!!

So then according to your run-on sentence is says a great big pile of nothing - Here, allow me to demonstrate.

"They say you are trying to win a SB with a guy with 7 career starts instead of a guy with 7 years of experience that has been through the highs and lows"

It is actually four career starts, but I digress. So, by your logic you would have instructed Mike Shanahan to start Rex Grossman over RGIII in Washington.

"A guy that has already played in HUGE playoff games and won, a guy that has proven he can win in the postseason"

This is redundant, false and another example of selective statistics

"And you are doing it all because the new guy theoretically gives you bigger playmaking ability"

This was never theoretical and has already been proven to be factual.

"Despite the fact that your coach has decided not to run any offense that lets him use that ability"

Kap has already made big plays within the structure of our offense. You seem confused by what defines a "big play".

"And the fact that you absolutely do not even need bigger playmaking ability to win a Super Bowl."

And with this logic we learn that while having bigger playmaking ability is better, having it available when you don't need it is a bad thing.

"It says the stats are the same"

You do realize that Smith is (according to you) a top-ten QB in the league and therefore this statement is a HUGE positive for Kap - right?

"you lost the experience."

So even though we did lose experience, Kap, with MUCH less experience, is playing at the same level or better than Smith. Thus, much like your big play argument, apparently we don't need experience either.

"All to try to gain something you didnt need in the first place"

Kind of like that experience stuff you were talking about - huh.

Here is what an objective observation says:

It says Kap is a threat with his legs that defenses must account for - Smith was not

It says Kap has a measurably stronger arm which gives him the confidence to make throws Smith won't even attempt

It says Kap has as good or better accuracy than Smith

It says Kap is better at throwing on the run than Smith

It says Kap is better at throwing across his body than Smith

It says Kap has better downfield vision from both the pocket and on the run than Smith

It says Kap has measurably better pocket presence than Smith

It says Kaps ability to go through his progressions is measurably better than Smith's

It says Kaps ability to protect the football is as good as or better than Smith's

It says Kaps ability to extend plays is measurably better than Smith's

It says Kaps ability to extend drives is better than Smith's

It says Kaps lack of experience has not cost us in the W/L column.

It says Kaps ability to make bigger plays is not theoretical - it is factual.

It says Kaps ability to play from behind is better than Smith's

It says Kaps ability to overcome his own mistakes is better than Smith's

It says Kaps big play capability in not nearly as limited as Smith's

It says Kap has more confidence in his ability is than Smith has in his.

It says Kaps lack of experience in calling protections is marginalized by his ability to escape the pressure he didn't account for.

It says Kap needs to learn how to better manage the play clock.

In conclusion it simply says that Colin Kaepernick although not as experienced as Alex Smith, is an overall much better athlete and a better to much better QB than Alex Smith.

Oh, and I agree - it is awesome! - Thanks for the Congratulations!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, never mind. I've officially just come to the conclusion that some people are delusional. You guys are right. Alex is a legit quarterback. Coaches aren't babying him with his play selection. And a check down isn't the only kind of pass he can throw regularly without problem. And yes, it was every WRs fault that played that game that they didn't get the ball. It's just a coincidence that Kaep is already playing as good as him. It's a fluke, after all he did have that one bad pitch so now we all know his NFL career is doomed.

Damn, now I know why you guys are so hostile to these guys that just defend Alex regardless of what he has done (or hasn't done for that matter).

Kaep legit is > than Alex legit.... thats why the move was made at QB...

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can hardly pay any attention to Alex's record. Majority of his games were won in spite of him, not because of him.

That simply is not true.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"A guy that has already played in HUGE playoff games and won, a guy that has proven he can win in the postseason"

False? How so, Bem? I think he did all three last year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Alex Smith has been generating the most posts since 2005. today he isn't the starter but still generating the most posts.

even when he leaves the 49ers, he'll likely generate the most? :-)

btw - didn't like the premise of this thread in the first place. how well is "well"?

are you saying he isn't he playing well now? how much better is he supposed to be playing, why?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Alex Smith has been generating the most posts since 2005. today he isn't the starter but still generating the most posts.

btw - didn't like the premise of this thread in the first place. how well is "well"?

are you saying he isn't he playing well now? how much better is he supposed to be playing, why?

No I'm completely fine with the way he's playing. I don't think their has been any dropoff at all. But after checking out these threads, some people talk like he's playing like Troy Smith lol. For him to be playing this good, this quick is great. I just can't believe people aren't recognizing that it seems we possibly have a future probowler and a freak athlete at QB as opposed to a game manager.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the only reason that SF was even able to play in the game against NYG was because of Smith leading them on a game winning TD drive against the Saints the week before. I also remember you guys being in a position to go to the SB until KW did his thing. I dont remember any of that about Kaep... I remember him being really good 1 time and average 3 others against pretty iffy competition. We will know more about Kaep after the next 3 weeks. If he beats NE or wins at Seattle then Ill be a little more optimistic about his chances to win a huge playoff game.

Just out of curiosity, how many of Smith's roughly 75 games have you watched? I'm going to guess not a whole lot. We know Smith had probably the best game of his career against the Saints, out of his 75 games I'd guess he has had about 5-10 games that were about that good.

You're trying to argue to a group of guys who have watched at least 90% of his games that they are the stupid ones for being OK with turning away from his Saints performance... you just don't get it... we all know that he flashes the talent that got him drafted #1 from time to time, like once a season, two times a season on a good year... but the rest of the time he is very average. Once or twice a year if the team is lucky... just isn't good enough.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That simply is not true.

agree.

"DESPITE Alex Smith" implies he doesn't contribute much, like he is almost in the way. but if you take 2011 and his starts this season, Alex Smith made his contribution in the majority of wins.

yes, there were games he didn't play as well and yes, our D is usually strong. but this doesn't mean Alex Smith didn't contribute.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

False? How so, Bem? I think he did all three last year.

His use of pluralization creates a misleading and false positive and the absence of the word "a" makes it clear he is not interested in being factual, this is just another of his attempts to embellish the truth. It's very similar to cherry picking stats - which just about all this kid can do.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So then according to your run-on sentence is says a great big pile of nothing - Here, allow me to demonstrate.

"They say you are trying to win a SB with a guy with 7 career starts instead of a guy with 7 years of experience that has been through the highs and lows"

It is actually four career starts, but I digress. So, by your logic you would have instructed Mike Shanahan to start Rex Grossman over RGIII in Washington.

No it will be 7 by the time you make it to the playoffs, you know when then Super Bowl is

its false that Alex won a playoff game?? Thats weird. I thought you guys beat the Saints. Thats actually a fact and the anti-thesis of selective.

"And you are doing it all because the new guy theoretically gives you bigger playmaking ability"

This was never theoretical and has already been proven to be factual.

Actually its not factual. As I showed in the earlier post where I provided facts ( those seem to be continuing to get in the way). You offense averages a whole .1 plays per game more of 20+ yard plays. Thats how you define bigger playmaking.

"Despite the fact that your coach has decided not to run any offense that lets him use that ability"

Kap has already made big plays within the structure of our offense. You seem confused by what defines a "big play".

No you seem confused. The NFL defines explosive plays as plays of 20+ yards and I have already shown you how that stat is the same as Smith.

"And the fact that you absolutely do not even need bigger playmaking ability to win a Super Bowl."

And with this logic we learn that while having bigger playmaking ability is better, having it available when you don't need it is a bad thing.

Bigger playmaking ablility is great but it comes with higher risk which you guys dont need. You can make the SB without accepting more risk and maybe losing earlier than you should.

"It says the stats are the same"

You do realize that Smith is (according to you) a top-ten QB in the league and therefore this statement is a HUGE positive for Kap - right?

I never said Kaep wasnt good. NEVER. I said he was not and is not an upgrade. I also said he has less experience which will affect you guys in the playoffs.

"you lost the experience."

So even though we did lose experience, Kap, with MUCH less experience, is playing at the same level or better than Smith. Thus, much like your big play argument, apparently we don't need experience either.

Maybe. This is your really only salient point but even it is hypothetical. You may not need experience but when was the last time a first year starter won a SB??

"All to try to gain something you didnt need in the first place"

Kind of like that experience stuff you were talking about - huh.

Here is what an objective observation says:

It says Kap is a threat with his legs that defenses must account for - Smith was not- This is true.

It says Kap has a measurably stronger arm which gives him the confidence to make throws Smith won't even attempt- All of which leads to greater risks which you dont need to take

It says Kap has as good or better accuracy than Smith- FALSE. Numbers say otherwise.

It says Kap is better at throwing on the run than Smith- Opinion

It says Kap is better at throwing across his body than Smith-Opinion

It says Kap has better downfield vision from both the pocket and on the run than Smith- Opinion

It says Kap has measurably better pocket presence than Smith- Laughable

It says Kaps ability to go through his progressions is measurably better than Smith's- No it doesnt

It says Kaps ability to protect the football is as good as or better than Smith's- Once again numbers say otherwise as CK turns the ball over at a higher rate.

It says Kaps ability to extend plays is measurably better than Smith's

It says Kaps ability to extend drives is better than Smith's

It says Kaps lack of experience has not cost us in the W/L column.

It says Kaps ability to make bigger plays is not theoretical - it is factual.

It says Kaps ability to play from behind is better than Smith's

It says Kaps ability to overcome his own mistakes is better than Smith's

It says Kaps big play capability in not nearly as limited as Smith's

It says Kap has more confidence in his ability is than Smith has in his.

It says Kaps lack of experience in calling protections is marginalized by his ability to escape the pressure he didn't account for.

It says Kap needs to learn how to better manage the play clock.

In conclusion it simply says that Colin Kaepernick although not as experienced as Alex Smith, is an overall much better athlete and a better to much better QB than Alex Smith.

Oh, and I agree - it is awesome! - Thanks for the Congratulations!

Im to tired to write anymore but most of what you put up there^^^ is opinion not backed by any actual facts. It may turn out to be reality but as of this minute its not based in any real truths.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
agree.

"DESPITE Alex Smith" implies he doesn't contribute much, like he is almost in the way. but if you take 2011 and his starts this season, Alex Smith made his contribution in the majority of wins.

yes, there were games he didn't play as well and yes, our D is usually strong. but this doesn't mean Alex Smith didn't contribute.

Not saying he never contributed but he definitely held this team back. Games we could've been blowing out teams, we merely beat them by 6 usually. Akers broke records last season because of Alex's inability to finish drives. I mean the only times he had passes over say 13 yards were because the WR had YAC. Sorry but I can't rewrite history for this guy. He is a game manager, that's it. No he's not Dilfer, but he wasn't even a game manager. He's the best QB to have as a backup and he's the worst decent QB to have as a starter IMO.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just out of curiosity, how many of Smith's roughly 75 games have you watched? I'm going to guess not a whole lot. We know Smith had probably the best game of his career against the Saints, out of his 75 games I'd guess he has had about 5-10 games that were about that good.

You're trying to argue to a group of guys who have watched at least 90% of his games that they are the stupid ones for being OK with turning away from his Saints performance... you just don't get it... we all know that he flashes the talent that got him drafted #1 from time to time, like once a season, two times a season on a good year... but the rest of the time he is very average. Once or twice a year if the team is lucky... just isn't good enough.

Oh I get that man but you guys are letting Smiths performance 3-5 years ago affect your perspective of how he has played the last year a half. I mean I get that he sucked for a large portion of his career but so did the rest of your team. Do you want to run all of the other guys that were around during your teams struggles out of the starting lineup too??

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway you guys have a good night. Ill argue more tomorrow :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
His use of pluralization creates a misleading and false positive and the absence of the word "a" makes it clear he is not interested in being factual, this is just another of his attempts to embellish the truth. It's very similar to cherry picking stats - which just about all this kid can do.

not getting this explanation? like TobyTyler said, i felt that part (not all) of his post was fine.

Alex Smith did play in multiple play-off games (hence the plural), and won a play-off game. since all play-off games are big, he won a big game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not saying he never contributed but he definitely held this team back. Games we could've been blowing out teams, we merely beat them by 6 usually. Akers broke records last season because of Alex's inability to finish drives. I mean the only times he had passes over say 13 yards were because the WR had YAC. Sorry but I can't rewrite history for this guy. He is a game manager, that's it. No he's not Dilfer, but he wasn't even a game manager. He's the best QB to have as a backup and he's the worst decent QB to have as a starter IMO.

whoa, don't need to rehash all these details, so let me just say IMO, we didn't win all those games (18?) with Alex holding us back. he didn't carry this team to wins either, but "despite him" is saying he was a negative and the 49ers overcame it.

in 2011 and earlier this season, Alex was not a negative in the majority of our wins.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I get that man but you guys are letting Smiths performance 3-5 years ago affect your perspective of how he has played the last year a half. I mean I get that he sucked for a large portion of his career but so did the rest of your team. Do you want to run all of the other guys that were around during your teams struggles out of the starting lineup too??

No they aren't, even last year Smith was pretty average. Yeah overall he put up nice stats, great stats compared to his previous years... but eleven games with either 1 or 0 TDs, and of those; eight times he threw less than 200 yards.

Compared to Matt Ryan in 2011, who I'm sure you're happy with... he had 9 games with 1 TD or less, out of those he threw for less than 200 yards twice.

And that was Smith's best year... those game by game numbers are unacceptable, every fanbase in the NFL demands more from their QB than that. That type of year is what got the Falcons to draft Matt Ryan. In 2007 Harrington had 10 games with 1 or less TDs and only twice did he throw for 200 yards (200,209).

Remember how you felt about Harrington, and you'll get a good idea of how a lot of 49ers fans feel about Smith

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You keep accusing me of cherry picking stats. Show me the stats that back up your assertion that Kaep is better. We already know its not PPG, its not QBR, its not explosive plays, its not protecting the ball, its not W-L % ( which is the most important stat). So other than not scoring as much, being no more explosive of a team and not having as good of a rating ( which are all 100% provable FACTS) tell me what stats back you up??? Or are you giving it the eyeball test? Anyway now I am really leaving. LOL.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Indeed, amazing he's not our starter, the thread wasn't even about him, it was about our starting qb, and it turned into a thread about him.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not getting this explanation? like TobyTyler said, i felt that part (not all) of his post was fine.

Alex Smith did play in multiple play-off games (hence the plural), and won a play-off game. since all play-off games are big, he won a big game.

Yes, I know Deep - there is much you don't get. It must be wonderful living in your mind - Deep, anyone knows it is mostly because of the sea levels and the polar ice melt - just go with that.