• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curious as to why some think Kaepernick isn't doing well

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: Kap's distances, I think the blitzing by the Rams played a pretty big part in affecting the average in that game, which was his lowest average by quite a distance. Seemed like they sent five more often than not.

Huge! The Rams blitzed on 60% of Kaps dropbacks - that is insane!

Why didn't the Dolphins do the same? Or did they? Is it personnel (either pass rushers or secondary to compensate for fewer in the backfield)? I'm not saying blitz = loss, win = no blitz. Just wondering if what the blitzing was like in the Miami game.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kaep is having trouble at the line reading coverage and blitz packages then he is about to have a nightmare Sunday night. The Patriots may not be what they once were on Defense, but they still have Belichick. Kaep had better be prepared to make very quick post-snap adjustments because what he reads pre-snap will probably not be what he actually gets after the snap. I fully expect the Patriots to blitz him a lot and use multiple schemes to do it.

I expect our gameplan to be heavily focused on the running game with some short passes thrown in to protect Kaep. If we can establish those 2 things then maybe we can take some deep shots. This a is game where the Defense needs to play lights out though. If we fall behind and get forced into a passing game it could end very badly.

A lot of that is true no matter the team or game. It's just going to be vastly important to getting a win on the road this week.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kaep is having trouble at the line reading coverage and blitz packages then he is about to have a nightmare Sunday night. The Patriots may not be what they once were on Defense, but they still have Belichick. Kaep had better be prepared to make very quick post-snap adjustments because what he reads pre-snap will probably not be what he actually gets after the snap. I fully expect the Patriots to blitz him a lot and use multiple schemes to do it.

I expect our gameplan to be heavily focused on the running game with some short passes thrown in to protect Kaep. If we can establish those 2 things then maybe we can take some deep shots. This a is game where the Defense needs to play lights out though. If we fall behind and get forced into a passing game it could end very badly.

A lot of that is true no matter the team or game. It's just going to be vastly important to getting a win on the road this week.

Agreed. That will be his undoing. Other teams have been employing that strategy against him to great effect lately resulting in only one TD throw in the last three games.; a dink and dunk 5 yarder to Gore.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't the Dolphins do the same? Or did they? Is it personnel (either pass rushers or secondary to compensate for fewer in the backfield)? I'm not saying blitz = loss, win = no blitz. Just wondering if what the blitzing was like in the Miami game.

Piss poor preparation by the Dolphins coaching staff. They did mange to sghut the 49er offense down though.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. That will be his undoing. Other teams have been employing that strategy against him to great effect lately resulting in only one TD throw in the last three games.; a dink and dunk 5 yarder to Gore.

imo the lack of offense is because of our gameplanning. same thing happened last year during a stretch halfway through the year.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a segment on one of the shows this morning that showed Kaepernick against the Dolphins not seeing the checkdown receivers very well and pointed out that his eyes were on the rushers when they were collapsing the pocket as opposed to on the field to find the open guy, notably Gore on one play waving his arms like he was caught in the rain in New York trying to flag a taxi. Maybe it's just me, but I still believe that Harbaugh had seen enough of Kaepernick to know that this was going to be an issue and decided that a Kaepernick with 7 games of experience heading into the playoffs would give them a better chance to come through and win a playoff game than Smith. It does mean that this is going to be a learning experience though, it's not like he was running a real pro offense with pro style reads in college.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Dolphins, much like the 49ers & Giants are designed to generate pressure with four - so yes, it is personnel.

Miami blitzed on 39% (11 of 28) of Kaps dropbacks (including one call back (penalty) and one 5-1)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a segment on one of the shows this morning that showed Kaepernick against the Dolphins not seeing the checkdown receivers very well and pointed out that his eyes were on the rushers when they were collapsing the pocket as opposed to on the field to find the open guy, notably Gore on one play waving his arms like he was caught in the rain in New York trying to flag a taxi. Maybe it's just me, but I still believe that Harbaugh had seen enough of Kaepernick to know that this was going to be an issue and decided that a Kaepernick with 7 games of experience heading into the playoffs would give them a better chance to come through and win a playoff game than Smith. It does mean that this is going to be a learning experience though, it's not like he was running a real pro offense with pro style reads in college.

Yep, that was a bad miss by Kap as Gore would have had the first down and could have been off to the races.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that was a bad miss by Kap as Gore would have had the first down and could have been off to the races.

It does seem like it's something he really needs to improve on, especially after watching the film segment they had. By all accounts he is a hard worker, studious, and smart, I have faith he will get there soon.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does seem like it's something he really needs to improve on, especially after watching the film segment they had. By all accounts he is a hard worker, studious, and smart, I have faith he will get there soon.

These types of misses are not uncommon even for the greats - but without seeing the segment you watched if Kaps eyes were indeed focused on the rush that is his running instinct taking over.

QB's are taught to ignore the rush, focus on the field. The upside to putting an eye on the rush is reacting quicker which results in extending plays - it is a fine line.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These types of misses are not uncommon even for the greats - but without seeing the segment you watched if Kaps eyes were indeed focused on the rush that is his running instinct taking over.

QB's are taught to ignore the rush, focus on the field. The upside to putting an eye on the rush is reacting quicker which results in extending plays - it is a fine line.

I agree, it's also not uncommon for young and or great running quarterbacks, I'm old enough to remember that Steve Young used to do that too.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, it's also not uncommon for young and or great running quarterbacks, I'm old enough to remember that Steve Young used to do that too.

LOL!! Boy did he.