• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Curious as to why some think Kaepernick isn't doing well

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I would say he's performing at a higher level than Alex is right now. There are definitely a few plays that no way Alex ever makes or attempts.

Now is it a night and day difference right now? No, but the more experience he gets the better he's going to do. Which is a scary thought because despite it being his second year in the league I still don't think he's at the level of polish of an RGIII or Luck so your potentially looking at a guy that might be better then those 2 eventually.

I do think Alex has the edge in being able to read defense and run the offense but there is nothing to suggest so far that CK won't be able to reach that level himself one day.

My main gripe is I do think the play calling has been a little weak lately and underutilized CK at the moment. With the Pats and Seahawks coming up I really hope we go all out and go for TDs instead of FGs

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
We are getting less TDs from the QB with Kap. Plays aren't being relayed from the QB to the rest of the offense in time. Ball protection when getting sacked has me worried every time. The play calling has altered with him at the helm and it isn't making me all warm and cozy.

Maybe less passing touchdowns but he makes that up with rushing touchdowns. And to tell you the truth, I think his numbers would be way better if we stopped running the ball in 2nd and 20 situations once the second half starts and we have a one touchdown lead.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't know about the "avg pass is twice the distance as Alex's average" - that sounds like as much of an exaggeration as those who are exaggerating Kaep's turnover afinity. A few deep passes are doing the same thing as one bad pitch - making it seem drastically different. For example, I read something about the average distance through the air with Kaep was 5 or 6 point something against the Rams - and that's with the 30 yarder to Crabtree. I don't think there were a lot of deeper throws in the Dolphins game, just the flea flicker. I think this is on the coaching staff for the play-calling and conservatism, not Kaep but I don't think it's double. Does anyone have any stats that show that this conservative offense is allowing Kaep's "avg pass [to be] twice the distance as Alex's average?"

Note, this is different than being twice as willing to throw deeper or riskier passes, even though since he was named starter (with Alex cleared), he hasn't taken many shots (smartly most of the time). The defenses we have faced have a different strategy with Kaep - we just need to respond.

Yeah people are pretending like Kaep has that bad pitch 5 times a game. That's why I'm confused. And yeah, that was a bit of an exaggeration on average but we can't deny most of Kaep's 10-15yd passes would've been 4-5yd passes from Alex unless the WR get's more. But without random passes in the Wildkaep earlier this season he'd be about 10-11 per throw as opposed to Alex's 7. I just don't get how people don't see Alex is gun shy. He obviously doesn't like throwing past a certain distance whereas Kaep has no problem.

Edit: when I say deeper passes, I don't mean bombs. I mean 10-15yarders as opposed to 3-8yarders. I'm not talking about deep shots.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, groupies, but Kaep in his 4th start is already a better QB than alex.

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sorry, groupies, but Kaep in his 4th start is already a better QB than alex.

Those are exactly my thoughts. It's just hard for me to buy that these people are blind enough to believe that he's better. I mean doesn't it mean enough that he's already doing as good if not better and he's already at least as good? And I don't care about him starting because he got injured. They found out they have a better player. Who expects Jim to start a less talented guy just because of some dumb unwritten rule that half the league cares about.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically every statistical measure says that its pretty much status quo in SF right now. Kaep has played OK, some of his stats are slightly better than Alexs, some of them slightly worse. You gain some big playmaking ability ( which so far has proven to be more theoretical than actual but I dont think that is on CK as much as it Harbaugh) however you lose alot of experience especially when the playoffs or big games come around. No way to really say if this is a good move or bad move til the next 3 games play out and the playoffs start up. Right now Id give the move a grade of incomplete but it looks OK thus far. Nothing to write home about but Ok.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe less passing touchdowns but he makes that up with rushing touchdowns. And to tell you the truth, I think his numbers would be way better if we stopped running the ball in 2nd and 20 situations once the second half starts and we have a one touchdown lead.

If you include the running touchdowns, it's fewer than we were getting with Alex, but a lot of Alex's TDs were YAC. So, I understand your belief, it's just not statistically true. Kaep does add the potential and sometimes that threat is all we need for other areas of effectiveness.

I just don't get how people don't see Alex is gun shy. He obviously doesn't like throwing past a certain distance whereas Kaep has no problem.

I think this is a good way to describe him, because he can throw the ball pretty far (self reported 65-70 from Smith - that might be where the ball lands as opposed to chest high catch), it's just that he's unwilling to throw it due to his emphasis on ball security. The deeper the throw, the harder it is to be accurate and more risky, so add in the fact that Alex doesn't seem very accurate with the deep ball (besides mid-field seam routes or with VD), you're not going to see as much as with Kaep, a willing and able deep thrower.

I'm interested to know how being THE starter has affected Kaep - as Stephen A. Smith said, in the Bears and Saints games he was playing with house money. Now that he has the starting job, he's attempted fewer of those big time passes - this could be the coaching staff assuming they need conservative training wheels, it could be the Fisher defense, it could be the playbook and practiced plays (as in built towards Alex's strengths and weaknesses) - but it could also be Kaep being cautious - which until he gets experience, may be overly cautious for his abilities - after all, I bet the coaching staff preached ball control more than most to Kaep just as much as Smith. Some people acted like this was just Harbaugh limiting Smith due to Alex's turnovers in the first five years. Sure, that was a factor, but Harbaugh is paranoid about ball security - to a good extent - that's not going to change with the QB.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically every statistical measure says that its pretty much status quo in SF right now. Kaep has played OK, some of his stats are slightly better than Alexs, some of them slightly worse. You gain some big playmaking ability ( which so far has proven to be more theoretical than actual but I dont think that is on CK as much as it Harbaugh) however you lose alot of experience especially when the playoffs or big games come around. No way to really say if this is a good move or bad move til the next 3 games play out and the playoffs start up. Right now Id give the move a grade of incomplete but it looks OK thus far. Nothing to write home about but Ok.

Yep.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And what do those things NOT measured with statistics say?

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what do those things NOT measured with statistics say?

They say you are trying to win a SB with a guy with 7 career starts instead of a guy with 7 years of experience that has been through the highs and lows, a guy that has already played in HUGE playoff games and won, a guy that has proven he can win in the postseason and you are doing it all because the new guy theoretically gives you bigger playmaking ability despite the fact that your coach has decided not to run any offense that lets him use that ability and the fact that you absolutely do not even need bigger playmaking ability to win a Super Bowl . LOL. Thats what it says. It says the stats are the same, you lost the experience all to try to gain something you didnt need in the first place. Congrats. Awesome!!

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They say you are trying to win a SB with a guy with 7 career starts instead of a guy with 7 years of experience that has been through the highs and lows, a guy that has already played in HUGE playoff games and won, a guy that has proven he can win in the postseason and you are doing it all because the new guy theoretically gives you bigger playmaking ability despite the fact that your coach has decided not to run any offense that lets him use that ability and the fact that you absolutely do not even need bigger playmaking ability to win a Super Bowl . LOL. Thats what it says. It says the stats are the same, you lost the experience all to try to gain something you didnt need in the first place. Congrats. Awesome!!

Did you forget that egg that Alex laid against NY in the playoffs? People can blame Kyle all they want but had Alex been able to play even average, Kyle wouldn't have even been in that position. Kaep can have a bad game, but I doubt he would've had one as bad as that. 12/26 and 1 pass completed to his WRs. That's awful.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you forget that egg that Alex laid against NY in the playoffs? People can blame Kyle all they want but had Alex been able to play even average, Kyle wouldn't have even been in that position. Kaep can have a bad game, but I doubt he would've had one as bad as that. 12/26 and 1 pass completed to his WRs. That's awful.

Smith's two long touchdown passes to Vernon Davis aside, he should have been able to get the ball to his wide receivers as well.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What Kyle did WAS NOT a result from Alex's play.... great defensive effort forced the Giants to punt the ball to KW... KW fumbled the ball in our territory where the giants BARELY scratched all game long and OT....

Now im heated again1!!!!!! (not you, at KW)

Also been nice if our WRs(limited) had made their catches too....

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember the only reason that SF was even able to play in the game against NYG was because of Smith leading them on a game winning TD drive against the Saints the week before. I also remember you guys being in a position to go to the SB until KW did his thing. I dont remember any of that about Kaep... I remember him being really good 1 time and average 3 others against pretty iffy competition. We will know more about Kaep after the next 3 weeks. If he beats NE or wins at Seattle then Ill be a little more optimistic about his chances to win a huge playoff game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember the only reason that SF was even able to play in the game against NYG was because of Smith leading them on a game winning TD drive against the Saints the week before. I also remember you guys being in a position to go to the SB until KW did his thing. I dont remember any of that about Kaep... I remember him being really good 1 time and average 3 others against pretty iffy competition. We will know more about Kaep after the next 3 weeks. If he beats NE or wins at Seattle then Ill be a little more optimistic about his chances to win a huge playoff game.

Well, you have to play them to win them, so I'm happy for us to have this test now. Imagine if instead we had played the Patriots in the Bills game week and the Bills this week, and then played Seattle instead of the Jets that week. We'd be facing easier opponents here on out. Conversely, we could have played in Lambeau with all that snow this week. So, in other words, I think the schedule worked out for the Niners.

The Bears and Saints (on the road) were good enough tests to get him in the conversation of starting. The Pats and Hawks games are tests, not to start, but to see how he plays against playoff-type teams and atmospheres. Then, we get a game against Arizona to see if the team decides to take the game off and if Arizona has any pride left.

I know this doesn't have any scientific backing, but with the WWLWWLWWTWWLW pattern, we should win this week and get to the NFCC game! Just kidding, we'll see how these next games go.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Don't know why a thread like this is started. If people can't see Kaep > Smith, it's either delusional tendencies or troll bait, which is exactly what we have here.

Just stop. This is ridiculously stupid. So you'll only feel a little more comfortable in Kaep with an @NE win or @Seattle? Confirmation bias, much?

Bracus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ok, never mind. I've officially just come to the conclusion that some people are delusional. You guys are right. Alex is a legit quarterback. Coaches aren't babying him with his play selection. And a check down isn't the only kind of pass he can throw regularly without problem. And yes, it was every WRs fault that played that game that they didn't get the ball. It's just a coincidence that Kaep is already playing as good as him. It's a fluke, after all he did have that one bad pitch so now we all know his NFL career is doomed.

Damn, now I know why you guys are so hostile to these guys that just defend Alex regardless of what he has done (or hasn't done for that matter).

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why a thread like this is started. If people can't see Kaep > Smith, it's either delusional tendencies or troll bait, which is exactly what we have here.

Just stop. This is ridiculously stupid. So you'll only feel a little more comfortable in Kaep with an @NE win or @Seattle? Confirmation bias, much?

What has Kaep done to prove he is better than Smith?? None of the numbers back it up, he isnt winning at a great clip than Alex was, listen I am not anti CK. I hope he does well for you guys ( unless you play Atlanta :) ) I just dont get the huge love affair for a guy that has done absolutely nothing that your prior guy didnt do. Makes zero sense. I have watched the games and maybe its because I am 100% unbiased but you guys arent any better now than you were 6 games ago with the other guy under center. And yes I will only feel better about a guy after he wins a road game against a playoff caliber team. Why is that "delusional"?? The odds are you are going to need to win a road game at some point if you want to win a SB unless the SB is in San Francisco this eyar and no one told me.