• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys trade for Trey Lance

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ and @fightinfunbags

At least this guy pretty much agrees with me (this was posted and published well after my post), I find that far more credible/validating than you two:

Cowboys acquire QB Trey Lance from 49ers for 4th-round pick
This is somehow a bad trade for both teams. I really don’t get it for the Cowboys. They have an established franchise quarterback in the Dak Prescott, and they have a solid backup in Cooper Rush. What are they going to do with Trey Lance? Develop him and then trade him for a third-round pick? This seems like a waste of a resource.

As for the 49ers, it seems premature to give up on a quarterback with such great talent, especially given that Brock Purdy is not a guarantee just yet. What if Purdy struggles in his second year? It would be nice to turn to Trey Lance in that instance, assuming that he developed at all. That said, I think the 49ers won this trade because Lance may just be a lost cause, given his lack of development and horrible pocket awareness and field vision. Plus, moving Lance rids the locker room of a potential headache.

Grade for Cowboys – D
Grade for 49ers – C+
Count me as a Cowboys fan who's not happy with this trade. I don't think Lance gives us anything.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Dak was right, he won’t even have the ability to throw 10 picks now that the Boys got a QB.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Fran basically had to make this move at this time just to get the talking heads from bringing it up week after week and have Lance in that QB room as a distraction. Players and teams say they tune out the noise but I doubt they really do.
As for the trade itself, a 4th rounder is not a great return but trying to hold out for a better offer would have likely been futile or at best, they might have gotten a late 3rd which really isn't much of an upgrade. They admitted they totally fucked up that draft and moved on. Beyond that it's meh, who cares. Lance is never going to see the field in meaningful games at this point. The injury last year derailed any shot he had at developing. He'll be a footnote in league history and in Dallas is still #3 on the depth chart.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ and @fightinfunbags

At least this guy pretty much agrees with me (this was posted and published well after my post), I find that far more credible/validating than you two:

This is somehow a bad trade for both teams. I really don’t get it for the Cowboys. They have an established franchise quarterback in the Dak Prescott, and they have a solid backup in Cooper Rush. What are they going to do with Trey Lance? Develop him and then trade him for a third-round pick? This seems like a waste of a resource.

As for the 49ers, it seems premature to give up on a quarterback with such great talent, especially given that Brock Purdy is not a guarantee just yet. What if Purdy struggles in his second year? It would be nice to turn to Trey Lance in that instance, assuming that he developed at all. That said, I think the 49ers won this trade because Lance may just be a lost cause, given his lack of development and horrible pocket awareness and field vision. Plus, moving Lance rids the locker room of a potential headache.

Grade for Cowboys – D
Grade for 49ers – C+
That a boy shark.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I get it from SFO’s end. They fucked up drafting him so it’s time to cut your losses and get what you can for him (lucky to get a fourth)
I don’t get it from Dallas’ end. He has shown nothing to suggest that he would make a decent back-up QB. While he only cost $1 mil this year, he costs $5.4 mil next year.
Jerrah thinks that once a player gets a star on their helmet they become pro bowlers

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So happy the 9'rs didn't move up to take Fields.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it from SFO’s end. They fucked up drafting him so it’s time to cut your losses and get what you can for him (lucky to get a fourth)
I don’t get it from Dallas’ end. He has shown nothing to suggest that he would make a decent back-up QB. While he only cost $1 mil this year, he costs $5.4 mil next year.
Jerrah thinks that once a player gets a star on their helmet they become pro bowlers
Still, in the big pic, it seems to be a decent move by Dallas and a necessary one by SF to cut their losses while they still could. Money isn't so much of factor as much as surrendering a 4th rounder. A trade involving the first three rounds could have tilted it toward being a bad one. A 4th round kinda skirts the border. And if Lance amounts to anything down the road, even just a semi-reliable backup, then it will have made the trade worthwhile.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Count me as a Cowboys fan who's not happy with this trade. I don't think Lance gives us anything.
I dont think this trade will have any meaning for the Cowboys (other than Jerry headlines). Lance wont be anything but at best a decent Back up. Worst he is gone inside of two years.
Good news (if any) is that the Cowboys always seem to use their 4th on some experiment when they do it. Isaiah Stanback comes to mind. So if we were gonna experiment next year with our 4th we just expedited it is all.

So while I agree. I am not a fan of this trade. Dont think it means much either way in reality.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Fran basically had to make this move at this time just to get the talking heads from bringing it up week after week and have Lance in that QB room as a distraction. Players and teams say they tune out the noise but I doubt they really do.
As for the trade itself, a 4th rounder is not a great return but trying to hold out for a better offer would have likely been futile or at best, they might have gotten a late 3rd which really isn't much of an upgrade. They admitted they totally fucked up that draft and moved on. Beyond that it's meh, who cares. Lance is never going to see the field in meaningful games at this point. The injury last year derailed any shot he had at developing. He'll be a footnote in league history and in Dallas is still #3 on the depth chart.

Yep basically in business you have to cut your losses at times. That’s exactly what San Francisco did… you just have to move on and regroup… we ended up doing something similar with Percy Harvin… we ended up giving a lot for him, and then decided to move on

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,171.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ and @fightinfunbags

Grade for Cowboys – D
Grade for 49ers – C+
Cool.....you got some 'splaining to do...

Screenshot_20230826-095812~2.png

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cool.....you got some 'splaining to do...

View attachment 338509

Not my fault Angie ended up like that. Maybe she should've kept her mouth shut a couple weeks ago, but again, not my fault. AND I was in New York at the time on vacation, so don't come looking for me...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very interesting - on paper it’s a good move for the Cowboys - he can be a decent backup QB and they might could trade him later for a higher pick than they traded him for - but I have to wonder how this will affect Dak, because if he plays poorly in a game early on fans will start clamoring for Lance, and it could cause a QB controversy which is the last thing a team needs. So I have to wonder if this shows a lack of confidence in Dak.
I'm having a hard time visuallizing fans "clamoring for Lance"

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the trade makes sense for the Cowboys.

1) it’s low risk as they only gave up a 4th round pick for him ( which most likely won’t be an early one )

2) if Dak doesn’t play well this year, they won’t re-sign him and therefore that Rush and Lance in place already. Lance gets a whole year to sit and learn the offense in the meantime

3) if Lance shows anything at all, they can trade him for a better draft pick then what they gave ip. If he doesn’t, they only gave up a 4th rounder so it’s no big loss

The only team that lost in this trade are the 49ers who gave up a ton to draft the guy and got chump change to get rid of him.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lance apparently got a sky-high score on the new, improved Wonderlic test. So did Brock Purdy. The highest score ever was by Pat MacInally, a punter. Not surprisingly, Fitzmagic from Harvard had the highest among quarterbacks. Brett Favre scored low.

And give some credit to Dak. He's probably the second best QB in the division.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad the Patriots got Mac