• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cowboys trade for Trey Lance

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boys are literally stuck with Prescott for the next 2 years unless they can find a trade partner to absorb cap, at which time Lance will be a free agent. You're not making your team that competitive sucking up that money.

Your point about Dak not exactly leading them to deep playoff runs was the reason I gave Dallas an F to begin with (although granted my fault, had nothing to do with the Lance grade), Dak is pretty mediocre.

Now to @fightinfunbags point, yes... QBs are one of the most important positions in football.. but the amount teams are overpaying for OKAY QBs is not sustainable IMO.. easier to plug and play some random QB and get deep than paying these ridiculous contracts. So yes, to extend an olive branch let's move over Lance who might be a steal and someone we can bank the future on... I'm saying I don't think Lance ever had the skills/mindset to begin with.. so it's an opinion, happy to eat crow if I'm wrong... but that's again where I'm getting a low grade on.

Sounds like you guys disagree with it... that's fine.
Of course it is.....if all we did was agree.....it would be like a huge circle jerk and
not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

nobody on here wants to engage in that. At least, I hope not.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it is.....if all we did was agree.....it would be like a huge circle jerk and
not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

nobody on here wants to engage in that. At least, I hope not.

Well with regards to what you just said...

I agree...

Wait........ wait a minute, waii-

explosion-boom.gif

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Boys are literally stuck with Prescott for the next 2 years unless they can find a trade partner to absorb cap, at which time Lance will be a free agent. You're not making your team that competitive sucking up that money.

Your point about Dak not exactly leading them to deep playoff runs was the reason I gave Dallas an F to begin with (although granted my fault, had nothing to do with the Lance grade), Dak is pretty mediocre.

Now to @fightinfunbags point, yes... QBs are one of the most important positions in football.. but the amount teams are overpaying for OKAY QBs is not sustainable IMO.. easier to plug and play some random QB and get deep than paying these ridiculous contracts. So yes, to extend an olive branch let's move over Lance who might be a steal and someone we can bank the future on... I'm saying I don't think Lance ever had the skills/mindset to begin with.. so it's an opinion, happy to eat crow if I'm wrong... but that's again where I'm getting a low grade on.

Sounds like you guys disagree with it... that's fine.
I don’t think he’s an ok QB though. I think he’s squarely in the top 1/3 of the league. When people criticize the guy they always talk about playoffs. Is that a Dak problem or a Cowboys problem? I don’t remember Tony Romo winning a ton of playoff games and he had some really talented groups like Dak has had. Dak puts his team in a position to win every week. Dak also usually has the Cowboys offense rated as a top 10 offense. I really don’t understand the number of people that hate on him. If I’m being real…I feel sick to my stomach typing this because I hate Cowboys and enjoy their playoff drought of success. But I value the integrity of my sports opinion more. There are few QBs in the league I’d take over Dak.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think he’s an ok QB though. I think he’s squarely in the top 1/3 of the league. When people criticize the guy they always talk about playoffs. Is that a Dak problem or a Cowboys problem? I don’t remember Tony Romo winning a ton of playoff games and he had some really talented groups like Dak has had. Dak puts his team in a position to win every week. Dak also usually has the Cowboys offense rated as a top 10 offense. I really don’t understand the number of people that hate on him. If I’m being real…I feel sick to my stomach typing this because I hate Cowboys and enjoy their playoff drought of success. But I value the integrity of my sports opinion more. There are few QBs in the league I’d take over Dak.
Dak turned into a TO machine last season.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dak turned into a TO machine last season.
That’s fair. At the same time, he’s protected the ball well for most seasons of his career. If you go back and watch the turnovers a number of them came off of tipped balls.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,071.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s fair. At the same time, he’s protected the ball well for most seasons of his career. If you go back and watch the turnovers a number of them came off of tipped balls.
You do realize you're going to Hell for defending Dak....right?

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. 49ers decided to take that hit fast. Not a bad strategy, get over it as quickly as possible.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize you're going to Hell for defending Dak....right?
Ha, just add it to the mounting list of obstacles I’m building to get to the pearly gates.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very interesting - on paper it’s a good move for the Cowboys - he can be a decent backup QB and they might could trade him later for a higher pick than they traded him for - but I have to wonder how this will affect Dak, because if he plays poorly in a game early on fans will start clamoring for Lance, and it could cause a QB controversy which is the last thing a team needs. So I have to wonder if this shows a lack of confidence in Dak.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This IMO is overrated news.

Trey Lance sucks and has always sucked. It was one of the stupidest trade ups and selections of all time but the 9ers were lucky to hit on enough players alongside a still fairly pedestrian QB required to make the simplest throws (Purdy is Garporlrorlrorl rebooted) that can get things done thanks to a stellar lineup that is cheap until everyone else in 2024.

That said, the Cowboys obviously have also made a mistake by giving that dumbass contract to the Dak, so now it's about money. Bring in the dork that was a top 5 overall pick!

End of day, it's an F grade for both teams.

San Fran = It was a stupid pick to begin with, everyone thought it was dumb, I graded it an F, and I get to stand by that.
Dallas = Also a stupid trade, your shitty contract to Dak I graded it an F (or maybe D) and I get to stand by that. The trade for an F rated player results in an F, so F.

F cancels F. And the 4th round pick is whatever.. nobody cares.

Someone could say: "But Trey Lance is a QB, he could be the future!" Trey Lance isn't gonna do a god damn thing.

Hmmmm … I would wait and see just a bit, sometimes guys get into different situations and start to improve, I mean look at Geno for us, NOBODY thought Geno had it in him to be a starter but working with Pete gave him some confidence… Sometimes the right coaching and situation can make player start clicking … Also remember when Hasselbeck first came to Seattle, he looked GOD awful, then Holmgren reigned him in and it started clicking for him… Trey is such a young player, ya gotta give him some time…

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is very interesting - on paper it’s a good move for the Cowboys - he can be a decent backup QB and they might could trade him later for a higher pick than they traded him for - but I have to wonder how this will affect Dak, because if he plays poorly in a game early on fans will start clamoring for Lance, and it could cause a QB controversy which is the last thing a team needs. So I have to wonder if this shows a lack of confidence in Dak.
why is everyone assuming he is gonna be 2nd string this year?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John and Kyle totally fucked everything up starting with the dumb ass trade to move up to get not only a project, but probably one of the biggest project qbs of all time when they were in a win the super bowl now window. Then didn't give him time to develop. Then hamper his development. Then trade him away for nothing when the only thing backing up Brock is a shit bust qb in Darnold. Next year only Brock is on the books so we have to get another back up. Plus in Kyle's system QBs drop like flies. We had 5 season ending injuries to QBs last season.

This was a total fuckup by the front office from start to finish.

They moved Trey to Dallas as a favor to Try to put him in a much better situation, but it fucked over their own team.

I hope Brock does well, but Karma is a bitch and it might give us Darnold for the playoffs and I wouldn't trust him to QB a arena league team. He aint it.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DJ and @fightinfunbags

At least this guy pretty much agrees with me (this was posted and published well after my post), I find that far more credible/validating than you two:

Cowboys acquire QB Trey Lance from 49ers for 4th-round pick
This is somehow a bad trade for both teams. I really don’t get it for the Cowboys. They have an established franchise quarterback in the Dak Prescott, and they have a solid backup in Cooper Rush. What are they going to do with Trey Lance? Develop him and then trade him for a third-round pick? This seems like a waste of a resource.

As for the 49ers, it seems premature to give up on a quarterback with such great talent, especially given that Brock Purdy is not a guarantee just yet. What if Purdy struggles in his second year? It would be nice to turn to Trey Lance in that instance, assuming that he developed at all. That said, I think the 49ers won this trade because Lance may just be a lost cause, given his lack of development and horrible pocket awareness and field vision. Plus, moving Lance rids the locker room of a potential headache.

Grade for Cowboys – D
Grade for 49ers – C+