• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Couture Gets 2 Year Extension

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS, Rares. You weren't joking and you'll believe Doug didn't "lie" to Seto before I believe you were joking. You're OK with the summer moves so you can't criticize him yet? You've jumped on every move he's made, good or not, and even more ridiculous you give him crap when other teams make a signing saying things like, "it would be too smart an idea for Doug" in regards to players like Ethan Moreau & Owen Nolan (or was it Cheechoo?).

I like you, man. But your hatred of DW has become pretty unreasonable imo.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couture's deal looks even better considering what JvR just re-signed for.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Couture's deal looks even better considering what JvR just re-signed for.

Yeah Paul Holmgren has lost his got damn mind. The richards and carter trades were clear proof of that, combine that with the Jagr and JVR deals and its all but confirmed

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah Paul Holmgren has lost his got damn mind. The richards and carter trades were clear proof of that, combine that with the Jagr and JVR deals and its all but confirmed

Not sure why this JVR signing is so bad? he was a 20 goal scorer last year and is just 22. He could easily hit 30 annually with his size and skillset, and likely will with the increased role he's going to have. Locking up a 30 goals scorer at around 4M per for 6 years is very reasonable. They might have been able to keep him for 2 years at 6M, but the last two years of the deal are him foregoing UFA status, and teams usually have to a pay a premium for those years. so kinda think of it as 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5. The RFA years are like 4 yrs at 3.75 per. Then the UFA years at like 2 years at 5.25M per. In that regard, if he fizzes out into a 3rd liner only, then its terrible, but if he contributes as can be expected 30 goals, 60+ pts, then its fine.

Jagr is a shot in the dark. At 40, I doubt he'll be effective and stay healthy. However, teemu over there would be a steal at just 3M or so based on his 31 goals and 80 pts (not to mention a goal per game in the PO's) as 40+ yr old all of last season. If jagr even comes close to that, he'll also be a steal.

Lastly, holmgren is playing roulette. He's gambling on a lot of question marks. Will Jagr be a modano or a selanne? Will Schenn be a calder candidate? The flyers will need him to be a regular NHL contributor. Will simmonds return to form of 09-10 or will he have another weak year like last year? and, vastly most important for holmgren, will his elder statesmen remain healthy? If pronger and/or timmonen go down (and at 37 years old, they very well might), then the flyer D corps suddenly looks pretty weak. Also, if briere is out for extended periods, then the offense may struggle. Holmgren is banking on the stars aligning correctly and if they do, then his team could contend for a cup, but he'll have to get lucky.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure why this JVR signing is so bad? he was a 20 goal scorer last year and is just 22. He could easily hit 30 annually with his size and skillset, and likely will with the increased role he's going to have. Locking up a 30 goals scorer at around 4M per for 6 years is very reasonable. They might have been able to keep him for 2 years at 6M, but the last two years of the deal are him foregoing UFA status, and teams usually have to a pay a premium for those years. so kinda think of it as 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5. The RFA years are like 4 yrs at 3.75 per. Then the UFA years at like 2 years at 5.25M per. In that regard, if he fizzes out into a 3rd liner only, then its terrible, but if he contributes as can be expected 30 goals, 60+ pts, then its fine.

Jagr is a shot in the dark. At 40, I doubt he'll be effective and stay healthy. However, teemu over there would be a steal at just 3M or so based on his 31 goals and 80 pts (not to mention a goal per game in the PO's) as 40+ yr old all of last season. If jagr even comes close to that, he'll also be a steal.

Lastly, holmgren is playing roulette. He's gambling on a lot of question marks. Will Jagr be a modano or a selanne? Will Schenn be a calder candidate? The flyers will need him to be a regular NHL contributor. Will simmonds return to form of 09-10 or will he have another weak year like last year? and, vastly most important for holmgren, will his elder statesmen remain healthy? If pronger and/or timmonen go down (and at 37 years old, they very well might), then the flyer D corps suddenly looks pretty weak. Also, if briere is out for extended periods, then the offense may struggle. Holmgren is banking on the stars aligning correctly and if they do, then his team could contend for a cup, but he'll have to get lucky.

JVR was a 20 goal scoreer with Brier,Carter and Richards in front of him. He wont have that protection this year, teams will be able to key on him. He likely isnt going to sniff 30 goals.

You really think Couture would put up the numbers he did without Marleau and Thornton and to a lesser extent Heatler in front of him? No he wouldnt. JVR also had work ethic problems prompting him to get benched on more then one occasion.

He is likely to be a 3rd liner with spot duty second line work, but unless he has had a attitude change he isnt worth the paper his contract was signed on

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and combine that with the $1.1 annually he gave Jody Shelly and it's a done deal Holmgren is a little coo coo.

The deal is a gamble that he will live up to his draft position (2nd overall). It's true what Korky said about no longer getting to play behind Carter/Richards. Let's see how he does when he is counted on to be a top contributor to the team's success.

Had this JVR deal finalized before Couture's deal was done, who knows what Couture may have asked for. It could have played a big part in those negotiations. Although if Couture was locked up for $4.5 for the next 6 years (starting in 2012-13), it wouldn't be so bad.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS, Rares. You weren't joking and you'll believe Doug didn't "lie" to Seto before I believe you were joking. You're OK with the summer moves so you can't criticize him yet? You've jumped on every move he's made, good or not, and even more ridiculous you give him crap when other teams make a signing saying things like, "it would be too smart an idea for Doug" in regards to players like Ethan Moreau & Owen Nolan (or was it Cheechoo?).

I like you, man. But your hatred of DW has become pretty unreasonable imo.

Hah.. not sure what all I said recently (I haven't been posting much) but I don't think I've been that bad with the Wilson bashing this summer (compared to last summer and during the season).

I definitely do not believe that Couture will be traded after he signed his new contract (I guess there's always a chance but I wasn't seriously saying "uh oh, here comes a trade!") so that was definitely a joke.

And yes, I still think that Seto got taken advantage of and I don't think that was very cool, so I criticized Dougie for that.

Other than that... I'm pretty sure I praised him for the Heatley move (posting from the hospital room with the newborn no less, IIRC)... I like the Handzus signing.. Eager/Myers/Huskins/Wallin no-moves are also fantastic.. what else is there? Not that happy about Ian White signing with Detroit for that little money... don't know much about Colin White to have an opinion but he came cheap so yay! I know nothing about Vandermeer either.

Oh and yes, I will always bitch about the Nolan situation... not Cheechoo though.

Anyway, overall, good summer for Dougie... at least compared to what I've gotten used to. So uhh.. props to him! :p

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hah.. not sure what all I said recently (I haven't been posting much) but I don't think I've been that bad with the Wilson bashing this summer (compared to last summer and during the season).

I definitely do not believe that Couture will be traded after he signed his new contract (I guess there's always a chance but I wasn't seriously saying "uh oh, here comes a trade!") so that was definitely a joke.

And yes, I still think that Seto got taken advantage of and I don't think that was very cool, so I criticized Dougie for that.

Other than that... I'm pretty sure I praised him for the Heatley move (posting from the hospital room with the newborn no less, IIRC)... I like the Handzus signing.. Eager/Myers/Huskins/Wallin no-moves are also fantastic.. what else is there? Not that happy about Ian White signing with Detroit for that little money... don't know much about Colin White to have an opinion but he came cheap so yay! I know nothing about Vandermeer either.

Oh and yes, I will always bitch about the Nolan situation... not Cheechoo though.

Anyway, overall, good summer for Dougie... at least compared to what I've gotten used to. So uhh.. props to him! :p

Whatever. I hear Rob Blake is bangin' your mom.

It's all good dude, just realize that you can't even say anything good without qualifying it.

:hug:

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whatever. I hear Rob Blake is bangin' your mom.

It's all good dude, just realize that you can't even say anything good without qualifying it.

:hug:

LOL! Does that make me famous now? :p

But anyway... Dougie for President in 2012*!

*= if the Sharks make it to the SCF.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So, just throwing it out there since the board has been cold but there are still a few UFA's on the market that are homeless. What's going on with samsonov? He sure didnt look like his career was over and he's not old. Bernier, hunter, dumont and others are also out there. I'm not suggesting the sharks target any of those guys per se, but I have to mention that samsonov for under 1M seems like a win-win as it preserves cap space and gives the sharks a veteran threat on the bottom six that can play in the top 6 as needed.

Right now, it seems that there are 4 forward positions and 5 forward roster spots available for 2-way rooks to compete. That's a ton of rookies on the team. It may be beneficial in the long run to start with that many rooks, but I'm skeptical that if you go in so thin up front, then one or two injuries (which inevitably will happen) could put 6 rookies/AHL fodder into the lineup. I certainly would want doug to keep at least 2-3M in cap space for mid-year moves, but right now, I'm a little skeptical. I would love dougie to add one more veteran to the bottom 6 who can at least sub into the top 6 as needed and wouldnt be horribly out of place as mitchell, mcginn, and the like would be.

I see shades of last year's struggles with this current roster. I dont think the acquisition of burns will provide enough added offense to make up for the fact that the bottom 6 for the sharks will virtually never score. Also, I dont foresee any of the rooks really providing any sort of consistent scoring threat. Ferriero, desjardins, mcginn, mclaren, mcintyre... none of them have shown much more than a glimpse of threat.

I just hope we dont see a situation similar to last season where the difficiencies were clearly there (on D of course, but offense as well... which is why dougie needed to add wellwood and eager) and that really hurt the team down the road (not to mention costing multiple draft picks to fix). I'm just still not sure the sharks can compete with chicago or vancouver on depth. And if the wings' stellar prospects like nyquist, tatar, or smith, step in and shine as they well might, then the wings could be pretty deep and fearsome too. it's not gunna be easy...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think they are still out there (except hunter) because their asking price is to high. If sammy comes cheap I say take a shot at it same with Dupont. Trade route is still an option

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sharks have 49 pro contracts right now. Wilson's probably not going to waste his last one on a 3rd liner.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Sharks have 49 pro contracts right now. Wilson's probably not going to waste his last one on a 3rd liner.

Why not? How hard can it be to dump a minor league contract anyways?

If he is going with what he currently has and hurts the NHL team solely because he signed too many AHLers, then that would be a serious goof. I cant see that as the reason.

kork, you could be on about the asking price, at least as it related to sam. It sure seems like he should have offers, if nothing else, then from the KHL. Dumont on the other hand, if his injuries are as severe as they are purported to be, then he might not have much interest.

Either way, I'm not sure how confident or comfortable I am going into the season with nearly half the forwards as pure rooks or AHL fodder at best. Its gunna place all the pressure to score on the top 6 and the 2 killer B's on D. That's 8 people who will have to provide nearly all the offense. That's a tough task and very risky. one or two more proven double digit goal scorers would ease that pressure considerably, and then adding another one during the season would complete the 3 scoring threat lines that we will ultimately need to compete in the west.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Why not? How hard can it be to dump a minor league contract anyways?

If he is going with what he currently has and hurts the NHL team solely because he signed too many AHLers, then that would be a serious goof. I cant see that as the reason.

kork, you could be on about the asking price, at least as it related to sam. It sure seems like he should have offers, if nothing else, then from the KHL. Dumont on the other hand, if his injuries are as severe as they are purported to be, then he might not have much interest.

Either way, I'm not sure how confident or comfortable I am going into the season with nearly half the forwards as pure rooks or AHL fodder at best. Its gunna place all the pressure to score on the top 6 and the 2 killer B's on D. That's 8 people who will have to provide nearly all the offense. That's a tough task and very risky. one or two more proven double digit goal scorers would ease that pressure considerably, and then adding another one during the season would complete the 3 scoring threat lines that we will ultimately need to compete in the west.

With most teams in a simular situation at this point in the offseason, only having one or two contract spots available, it can be very difficult to find a taker for disposable prospects. Wilson will want to save that one spot for an inseason addition in case of injuries thus a UFA siging to fill the 3rd line role is unlikely. The teams need for a 3rd liner is not so desperate as to force Wilson to back himself against a wall with the max amount of contracts.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:think: :think:

Yes I agree that depth at forward could be a problem. The bottom 2lines are very weak, and unless somebody stands out, this well be the Sharks glaring HOLE.

Plus, I still say Thornton needs right handed shot on his wing "I just don't see Pavelski as a sniper to take one timers like Seto did"

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only UFA left that I'm interested in is Wellwood. Regardless, any of the UFAs brought in at this point need to be on a 1 year deal. I want them playing hard for their next contracts.

Back to Couture, anyone see his Sharks commercial? It kinda sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only UFA left that I'm interested in is Wellwood. Regardless, any of the UFAs brought in at this point need to be on a 1 year deal. I want them playing hard for their next contracts.

Back to Couture, anyone see his Sharks commercial? It kinda sucks.

I agree, everyone knows Fahey delivers the pizzas.

Last edited by a moderator: