• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Couture Gets 2 Year Extension

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That logic seems sound, and I hope you are right. But look at what happened to Bouwmeester. He put up very respectable numbers for bottom feeder FLA, signed a contract with CGY, which was supposed to be a better team, then his play fell off the map. I pray that doesn't happen to Burns.

That's because he went from getting all the prime minutes to losing 10 minutes a game and not getting prime minutes.

And lets be honest Calgary. Is one of the most aniemic offensive teams in the league, like worse then columbus. So that worked against jay bo.

I also think boumeester is overrated. Burns is likely to keep the prime minutes in all situations. While Boyles time is reduced

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see who Doug offers a try out, too?

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice but has he been Setoguchi-ed yet? :L

(please resist the urge to speedial the Minnesota GM again, Dougie!)

And here comes Mr. Sunshine himself. Only you could see the bad in this deal. Please explain how Setoguchi ever lived up to expectations??? Couture scored 30 goals with Clowe, Devin could barely do it playing with Thornton.

Abaskin calls his shot.

also, apparently everybody agrees on this board what happened???

:confused:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
And here comes Mr. Sunshine himself. Only you could see the bad in this deal. Please explain how Setoguchi ever lived up to expectations??? Couture scored 30 goals with Clowe, Devin could barely do it playing with Thornton.

Abaskin calls his shot.

A bit touchy are we Filo? I'm pretty sure Rares was just sarcastically joking and not commenting on the good/bad of previous moves. With all the trades that have taken place between the Sharks and Wild this offseason, Seto's coming a week after signing a new deal, any re-signing would have naturaly been linked to a trade to the Wild by someone.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Abaskin calls his shot.

I still remember seeing it come across the screen while I was watching the draft that Seto was traded for Burns. I jumped up and yelled "yes", while my daughter jumped up at the same time and yelled "no". LOL.
I really like Seto, but he was an underachiever. I know someone close to the team that told me they would be moving Seto for a D-man if they could, but I was surprised they were able to get Burns. Playing a lot of the time with Joe and Patty, I thought Devin would become a really good player, but it just didn't happen. Best of luck to him in Minnesota, but I can't see how he will be any more productive there, without the quaility linemates he had here...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hah.. yeah, sorry. I was mostly joking.

I wasn't that attached to Seto... just *really* didn't like the sign-and-trade shit. I still think Dougie lies and he knew.. and to me, it's just another classless move.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I still remember seeing it come across the screen while I was watching the draft that Seto was traded for Burns. I jumped up and yelled "yes", while my daughter jumped up at the same time and yelled "no". LOL.
I really like Seto, but he was an underachiever. I know someone close to the team that told me they would be moving Seto for a D-man if they could, but I was surprised they were able to get Burns. Playing a lot of the time with Joe and Patty, I thought Devin would become a really good player, but it just didn't happen. Best of luck to him in Minnesota, but I can't see how he will be any more productive there, without the quaility linemates he had here...

Seto is what all of 23 or 24 and has hit 20 goals 3 seasons in a row, Nolan was the same way before he was traded to the sharks. He will likely get 30 this year because he will be getting top minutes, maybe more.

Far to early to call him a underachiver especially when you factor i he has had 2 sports Hyenas.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A bit touchy are we Filo? I'm pretty sure Rares was just sarcastically joking and not commenting on the good/bad of previous moves. With all the trades that have taken place between the Sharks and Wild this offseason, Seto's coming a week after signing a new deal, any re-signing would have naturaly been linked to a trade to the Wild by someone.

Nope, not touchy at all. I've just known rares posting style since 2005. He also freaked out about Greiss and it doesn't sound like the kid was all that upset considering he's back with us.

And I was right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nope, not touchy at all. I've just known rares posting style since 2005. He also freaked out about Greiss and it doesn't sound like the kid was all that upset considering he's back with us.

And I was right.

Last edited by a moderator:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hah.. yeah, sorry. I was mostly joking.

I wasn't that attached to Seto... just *really* didn't like the sign-and-trade shit. I still think Dougie lies and he knew.. and to me, it's just another classless move.

Not sure its too easy to accuse dougie of being 'classless'. I do agree that pulling a sign-and-trade is a very underhanded move IF that was the intent. I honestly dont think it was and it's the only sign and trade that I can ever remember dougie doing. Also, he's never done anything like that with a UFA to my knowledge (i.e.: sign a UFA, then deal him relatively quickly).

However, when you counted the S+T of seto with the lifelong mutual commitments to/from jumbo and patty as well as now burns (6 years is close enough to lifetime in sports), then it sure looks like he's a pretty honest guy. Also, most of the trades he's made have made obvious sense and no player has ever publicly spoken out against him or the team (something not true of many many other GM's). Dougie is a classy guy. It's easy to disagree with many of his past moves (ehrhoff, huskins, wallin...) and accuse him of being an ineffective GM as seen by his teams' annual choke jobs, but he's done it all with respect and I think he is quite well regarded around the league by players and fellow GMs alike.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
regarding the couture signing... it's just great. 2.9M is going to be a pittance compared to his likely production. Considering a 30G, 60pt player usually would command upwards of 5-6M, cooch will basically be 1/2 price or less. Simply put, he's not going to get traded. I think dougie sees him as the franchise player replacement for jumbo. With over 30 goals in his first full year (and 22 at EV), there is no reason to suspect that he cant or wont add to that in the coming years. He sure looks like a potential annual 40 goal scorer, and those kind of players at his age shouldn't be dealt.

Seto had his chance. I think if the burns deal wasnt there, seto would still be a shark. We would all still be hoping that he takes that next step. I still wont be surprised if he doesnt emerge as a serious force eventually. With #1 PP time and 18+ mins/game in minny, he could put up very nice numbers. However, I too would rather have burns by a mile at this moment. You never knows what going to happen in the future (one major concussion changes everything... ahem sidney...), but burns seems a far more valuable player than seto, so the deal makes sense even if it is risky.

Dougie's summer has been one of his best as most everyone has said, but he still definitely has work to do and one injury could flip it all upside down.

in other news, I had a dream that sena chocolatse became a star... that would be fun for a local boy...

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I was right.

Eh, the Greiss stuff was MOST definitely classless.

The kid is back because I'm guessing he feels most comfortable in the Sharks system or whatever... he probably would have had little to no interest from any other NHL team and he's been pretty vocal about how he hated playing in the Swedish league or wherever he was, so I think it's more of a comfort thing.

And yeah, he was probably not as offended as I was over how the Sharks treated him (or got over it quicker). Hah!

PS. I don't have a problem with Dougie's summer moves. The Seto stuff was offset by a few of the other moves so I can't (yet) criticize him too much. He's shut me up for a few months for sure. :p

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eh, the Greiss stuff was MOST definitely classless.

The kid is back because I'm guessing he feels most comfortable in the Sharks system or whatever... he probably would have had little to no interest from any other NHL team and he's been pretty vocal about how he hated playing in the Swedish league or wherever he was, so I think it's more of a comfort thing.

And yeah, he was probably not as offended as I was over how the Sharks treated him (or got over it quicker). Hah!

PS. I don't have a problem with Dougie's summer moves. The Seto stuff was offset by a few of the other moves so I can't (yet) criticize him too much. He's shut me up for a few months for sure. :p

Agreed the move the Doug and the coaching staff but on him in Germany is about as classless as it get's. It's not like they didn't know they were going to loan him out they could've atleast thrown him a bone and let him play in his own home country.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Seto is what all of 23 or 24 and has hit 20 goals 3 seasons in a row, Nolan was the same way before he was traded to the sharks. He will likely get 30 this year because he will be getting top minutes, maybe more.

Far to early to call him a underachiver especially when you factor i he has had 2 sports Hyenas.

I know he had a couple of injuries and that didn't help. All I'm saying is he should have done more, especially playing with who he played with. Add in the fact that the coaches had questioned his work ethic at times, and I think the writing was on the wall for him.

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great deal! I am expecting big things this season. I think you will see goals from some unlikely guys. I really believe this is our year, and I cant wait

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockeybuzz.com has a rumor that the Islanders might have a trade in the works, and has San Jose LISTED AS ONE OF THE TEAMS. :smash::boom: