• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Couture Gets 2 Year Extension

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good. I think he is still RFA after this two year deal expires.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
no one can bitch about Wilson at all after this off season

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
no one can bitch about Wilson at all after this off season

Definitely its been pretty solid!

However, it's not a complete success just yet. He still has a seriously pathetic bottom 6 with basically minimal real offensive punch. We all know that relying 100% on the sharks top 6 to provide all the scoring is a recipe for disaster, so he must complete that line either now or at least before the deadline.

Also, signing cooch is great news but only if he got him at a good number. if its 4+, then it's not that great. If its under 3, then its nice!

I fear that the current team may actually struggle to score despite adding burns, particularly against top teams that mathc their shutdown dmen against the top 6 forwards. The team, as it is right now, is not a cup champion, I believe. I wonder if another move is coming since he still has roughly 4M left on the cap.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However, it's not a complete success just yet. He still has a seriously pathetic bottom 6 with basically minimal real offensive punch. We all know that relying 100% on the sharks top 6 to provide all the scoring is a recipe for disaster, so he must complete that line either now or at least before the deadline.

Also, signing cooch is great news but only if he got him at a good number. if its 4+, then it's not that great. If its under 3, then its nice!

I fear that the current team may actually struggle to score despite adding burns, particularly against top teams that mathc their shutdown dmen against the top 6 forwards. The team, as it is right now, is not a cup champion, I believe. I wonder if another move is coming since he still has roughly 4M left on the cap.

I think depth at forward will be easier to get than depth at defense, which has been the case the past seasons for Doug. I believe the Sharks have two 2nd rounders to use as bait.

I'm thinking Couture signed for $3 a season.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah vp, I agree with you on both. 3M sounds right in dougie's range for a 30 goal scorer in just his 2nd contract. it might even be 2.5M per. Cooch is obviously well above clowe or pavs, but they both got 1.5-2M type second contracts at roughly the same age as cooch, so we'll see...

And yeah, there will likely be a bounty of 15-20 goal scoring 2/3rd liners available after january. It's just always tough to wait...

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It's as close as its been since the teams inception so its hard to complain, he also has a huge trading chips in place with the likes of Murray to a lesser extent Pavelski (which i think doug loves more then you lol) To shore up the bottom 6.

I have a hard time believing that the sharks are going to go into the season with their current 7 dmen, I'm sure once camp is underway or afterwards we might see a move on the dman front.

Buffalo still has to dump a ton of salary Hecht,Gautstad and Boyes are all believed to be available so id imagine the sharks will land one of those 3. Hopefully not Boyes.

I think the top 8 forwards are fine the question marks start after that lol But if Mcginn can channel his inner Scott Nichol then ill be far more comfortable with the 4th line. It could be like the 89-90 oilers kid line lol

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$2.75 million for the first year, and $3 million for year two.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$2.75 million for the first year, and $3 million for year two.

Where'd you see this? Solid deal. I love giving young guys short deals. It keeps the inner fire going to improve and doesn't give them much sense of accomplishment which can be a detriment to their development. Although Logan does seem to have his head on straight. Well done Doug.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the 14-15 season, this team may look very different.

Thornton, Marleau, Boyle, Pavelski are all UFAs. Couture will be RFA. Doug will be very busy.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Where'd you see this? Solid deal. I love giving young guys short deals. It keeps the inner fire going to improve and doesn't give them much sense of accomplishment which can be a detriment to their development. Although Logan does seem to have his head on straight. Well done Doug.

This is coming from Brodie. 3 years $8.75m is a great deal for the Sharks.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is coming from Brodie. 3 years $8.75m is a great deal for the Sharks.

Oh the extension is three years now? Or is that counting the last year of his current deal?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Oh the extension is three years now? Or is that counting the last year of his current deal?

Brodie is saying it's 3 years. 1st year @ $2.75m, 2nd and 3rd years @ $3.0m. Although the Sharks official announcement says 2 years so I'd probably go with that.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brodie is saying it's 3 years. 1st year @ $2.75m, 2nd and 3rd years @ $3.0m. Although the Sharks official announcement says 2 years so I'd probably go with that.

Couture for a shade under $3 cap hit is great.

CWhite for $1
Vandermeer for $1
Burns for $5.76
Couture for < $3

Great work by Dougie. Go get Wellwood for $1 and enjoy the rest of the summer.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ESPN says two years on top of the upcoming year. That could be the cause of the 2 vs 3 confusion.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

This is the best team they have ever assembled, and I bet Wilson will add someone to the 3rd line at some point.
Burns is going to explode. Look at his numbers playing for an average team. I have seen people cry about Seto being gone, but Burns had more pts as a D-man than Seto did as a forward, and he didn't get to play with Joe and Patty. The PP, which was already very good, is going to be even better. The PK will be better with guys like Handzus, Havlat, White, etc.
Sharks should be one of the best 4 or 5 teams this season. Nobody knows who will win it all, but I love what they have done. They have set themselves up nicely.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the best team they have ever assembled, and I bet Wilson will add someone to the 3rd line at some point.
Burns is going to explode. Look at his numbers playing for an average team. I have seen people cry about Seto being gone, but Burns had more pts as a D-man than Seto did as a forward, and he didn't get to play with Joe and Patty. The PP, which was already very good, is going to be even better. The PK will be better with guys like Handzus, Havlat, White, etc.
Sharks should be one of the best 4 or 5 teams this season. Nobody knows who will win it all, but I love what they have done. They have set themselves up nicely.

That logic seems sound, and I hope you are right. But look at what happened to Bouwmeester. He put up very respectable numbers for bottom feeder FLA, signed a contract with CGY, which was supposed to be a better team, then his play fell off the map. I pray that doesn't happen to Burns.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That logic seems sound, and I hope you are right. But look at what happened to Bouwmeester. He put up very respectable numbers for bottom feeder FLA, signed a contract with CGY, which was supposed to be a better team, then his play fell off the map. I pray that doesn't happen to Burns.

yeah, I too have this concern. Burns was the man in minny but now he'll have to compete some with boyle potentially as well as demers. More importantly, he'll have to play far better defense than he did. The word out of minny is that his offensive game is awesome (he was a forward after all), but his defensive game was not up to par, which is not k for a guy playing nearly half the game. If he struggles in his own zone, then it wont be nearly as great as hoped...

That said, I think burns will have a very solid year and I think the D is very well set up.

My biggest concern, aside from the 3rd line, is age. Dan boyle is getting old, and in a long PO year, you have to play over 100 games in the season. That;s tough on 36 yo legs that are only effective with speed (rather than lidstrom, who is more of a position, heady player). Also, Jumob got hurt last PO's and he and patty are also aging. they will be pushing 33 by the PO's and that too is an age where the body begins to break down and injuries become more common. Even handzus is 35, havlat 30 and already has injury history)... The potential for a devastating injury is high this year and if either jumbo or patty gets hurt, the sharks could have a tough time scoring.