• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Athlete Compensation

Shouel they get paid?

• NO. Free education is enough

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Have a bake sale

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Give them a small stipend

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pay them! They are the ones bringing the school money.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you start paying players in cfb, every sport the institution has is going to demand to be paid. Then they will be closed down. Eventually only the most powerful universities will be fielding teams in multiple sports.

I believe scholarships are a fair trade, IF the institution isn't profiting on the players outside of game revenue.

Once a kid gets told by someone that he HAS to go to a function and they profit from it, then that player should be compensated for that event.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, not even remotely interested in seeing these guys get paid.

They are getting an unbelievable amount of free shit in getting the scholarship, free meals, free apparel, free housing, the stipend, and if they aren't good enough to play in the pros, they have a degree.

Cowherd brought up a really good point on this, too. Not only are they getting all of these things for free, but they are tax free. If any other person were to receive these sort of things it would be based on taxable income technically. They are getting such an amazing amount of free things in order to be able to pursue their dream of playing high-level football. If they don't want to, then don't play and become an average college kid. Otherwise, suit up and play like every other college football player since the dawn of time.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do we pay them? Taxpayer money? Donor money?

Autograph money? Jersey sales?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do we pay them? Taxpayer money? Donor money?

Autograph money? Jersey sales?

Now autographs and jerseys are something completely different. If a kid wants to sell his bowl jersey, something that is his property, that is completely his right.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are already being paid, as stated above. As long as they aren't starving while the university is profiting off their likeness or jersey number, I think they are being compensated fairly well.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now autographs and jerseys are something completely different. If a kid wants to sell his bowl jersey, something that is his property, that is completely his right.

What about fans buying player jerseys? Players profit from this? I think that is a very slippery slope and guise like Phil Knight will take such advantage of it that it would become a mockery.

Buying every one of his players jerseys times 5,000 and then sending them to 3rd world countries as a tax right off. Jerseys that he makes.

Every time a fan buys anything Nike they are essentially paying the Oregon Ducks Boss as it is.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since technically it's tax dollars that run state schools, I think athletes that leave after 3 years (or one year for basketball) should have to pay back their scholarships.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and keep this as briefly as possible because I have gone on rants about this topic before.

I have developed a system that compensates athletes without being ridiculous. A university should take 2-3% of all profits from a football season and divide it among the players per season. BUT the player doesn't see a cent until after their college career is over. So they would accumulate that percent over time and get a lump sum at the end of their career.

Issue with this system is not every school profits this well off of college football and this would hurt a lot of the FCS schools. Also, another big issue is once you begin to pay football players, every athlete on campus now has a right to be compensated.

My other payment method is the same concept. ANY merchandise that is related to a universities football team, the players should automatically see 1/4 of the profits. Again, you would set the money aside until a player is done at the school, then they would collect their money after their career.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you start paying players in cfb, every sport the institution has is going to demand to be paid. Then they will be closed down. Eventually only the most powerful universities will be fielding teams in multiple sports.

I believe scholarships are a fair trade, IF the institution isn't profiting on the players outside of game revenue.

Once a kid gets told by someone that he HAS to go to a function and they profit from it, then that player should be compensated for that event.
-
I am not sure I understand that logic. The reason their is discussion about playing CFB players is it is a huge money maker for the big schools. Not sure the field hockey team has a leg to stand on.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since technically it's tax dollars that run state schools, I think athletes that leave after 3 years (or one year for basketball) should have to pay back their scholarships.

But do those tax dollars go to the athletic department? I cannot speak for every school, but I know for a fact that for the Univeristy of Michigan (a public school) the athletic department is 100% financially independent from the general univeristy fund. Therefore the tax dollars that go to the school go nowhere near the athletic department.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try and keep this as briefly as possible because I have gone on rants about this topic before.

I have developed a system that compensates athletes without being ridiculous. A university should take 2-3% of all profits from a football season and divide it among the players per season. BUT the player doesn't see a cent until after their college career is over. So they would accumulate that percent over time and get a lump sum at the end of their career.

Issue with this system is not every school profits this well off of college football and this would hurt a lot of the FCS schools. Also, another big issue is once you begin to pay football players, every athlete on campus now has a right to be compensated.

My other payment method is the same concept. ANY merchandise that is related to a universities football team, the players should automatically see 1/4 of the profits. Again, you would set the money aside until a player is done at the school, then they would collect their money after their career.

I could buy the 1st part.

Bolded part once again I think is very slippery. What is to prevent the big time donors from promising in coming recruits to buy 10,000 jerseys upon letter of intenet signing?

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

whatever payments they do receive will most likely be by a plan like this

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am not sure I understand that logic. The reason their is discussion about playing CFB players is it is a huge money maker for the big schools. Not sure the field hockey team has a leg to stand on.

Title IX

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
one of the worst pieces of legislation ever written. It has been the cause of more sports being dropped than anything. If you are taking money out of a profits then you get around Title 9. You are offering the same opportunity for money, so you are in the clear. Keep in mind all programs are not subject to Title 9 where football is concerned. Profitable programs take no federal aid

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could buy the 1st part.

Bolded part once again I think is very slippery. What is to prevent the big time donors from promising in coming recruits to buy 10,000 jerseys upon letter of intenet signing?

Great minds think alike. As I hit send I was thinking about that. This is actually a proposal I have been working on for some time. I had to give a speech on college athletes getting paid, its ongoing research for me still. I am not positive about any payment or even the concept of paying players, but I am positive that players will get payed whether legally or illegally.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about fans buying player jerseys? Players profit from this? I think that is a very slippery slope and guise like Phil Knight will take such advantage of it that it would become a mockery.

Buying every one of his players jerseys times 5,000 and then sending them to 3rd world countries as a tax right off. Jerseys that he makes.

Every time a fan buys anything Nike they are essentially paying the Oregon Ducks Boss as it is.

Well let me clarify a bit, a player should be able to sell their jersey, so long as it is a fair market price. If you got someone like Phil Knight throwing his money around like that, it would be an obvious red flag.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The problem with this is all players are not created equal. Do you pay the stars more since they are the big draw for the school?

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with this is all players are not created equal. Do you pay the stars more since they are the big draw for the school?

No you do not. Paying players is already an awkward situation. So if at the college level you pay some players more it begins to look more like varying contracts among players instead of a slice of the pie.

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to paying players, but allow them to work. It is fine for them to work at McDonald's but not to do modeling? That is stupid.

Their payment is their education. There is nothing more valuable than that. But all other college students are allowed to work (including those with scholarships), so should college athletes be able to.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No you do not. Paying players is already an awkward situation. So if at the college level you pay some players more it begins to look more like varying contracts among players instead of a slice of the pie.
-
Yes. that would be terrible. That would be like Texas making 100mm in football and Weber State losing money.. wait a minute!!