• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

College Athlete Compensation

Shouel they get paid?

• NO. Free education is enough

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Have a bake sale

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Give them a small stipend

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Pay them! They are the ones bringing the school money.

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in Louisville's basketball profits and their numbers would go up a lot.

Surprised at NIU. What the hey is up with all that money they are making?

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
37 years in a row with at least one National Championship! Stunning. That is absolutely stunning. I've got two Stanford grads in the company and they are both sharp as a rat turd. Very smart people. And the other Stanford grads I've worked with over the years were all intelligent. Some were a little weird but nobody was a dummy by any stretch of the imagination.

37 years. Kudos, Stanford.

Yes, that's pretty impressive for Stanford's athletic programs. Wonder if anybody else can say that?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should have come to the SEC when they had the chance.
They dont have the money to pay those player salaries to be in the SEC.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They dont have the money to pay those player salaries to be in the SEC.

They would if they played in the SEC. All the money generated by the conference gets spread equally to all teams.

Kid Vicarious

FearLes
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure everyone has a big boy football program in state that could pay for this. Hell the tOSUs and Texas and LSUs and Bamas give money from their Athletic department to the University itself. Although chances of the Big boy university fronting the bill by themselves is a long shot.

Then... we have the smaller schools. Who's going to have to pay for these athletes in the long run? you will. Whether it's increased prices in tickets or increased prices in food/drink or increased prices in parking. You will have to pay for it. The Colleges and university have a set budget and they will not lose more income. They will get that back somehow.

Now, the only way I believe you don't kill smaller football programs across America by people not paying for increased prices is to put in place a program for public universitys. Where we the people get taxed to pay for these players. Western Kentucky players have to get paid... Eastern Michigan players have to be paid... Alabama State players have to get paid. Do you want to pay for these players to get paid while they get a free education and free meals and free books? I don't

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would if they played in the SEC. All the money generated by the conference gets spread equally to all teams.
I guess you would know...

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except third tier monies.

The money is split evenly, even the lower tiers. This goes for TV money and bowl game money, even if the team doesn't take part in a bowl game.

They do make different amounts of money, but that comes from things like ticket sales, concession stand revenue and so on.

But as far as the conference goes, it's always split up into equal shares.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure everyone has a big boy football program in state that could pay for this. Hell the tOSUs and Texas and LSUs and Bamas give money from their Athletic department to the University itself. Although chances of the Big boy university fronting the bill by themselves is a long shot.

Then... we have the smaller schools. Who's going to have to pay for these athletes in the long run? you will. Whether it's increased prices in tickets or increased prices in food/drink or increased prices in parking. You will have to pay for it. The Colleges and university have a set budget and they will not lose more income. They will get that back somehow.

Now, the only way I believe you don't kill smaller football programs across America by people not paying for increased prices is to put in place a program for public universitys. Where we the people get taxed to pay for these players. Western Kentucky players have to get paid... Eastern Michigan players have to be paid... Alabama State players have to get paid. Do you want to pay for these players to get paid while they get a free education and free meals and free books? I don't
Negative. Split off the big conferences and make a pay for play division out of them. Let the rest go to their own and not be a pay for play. Yes, they would get less big name recruits at the smaller schools because you'd have to be an idiot to pass up a scholarship that comes with a pay check to stay home for your favorite school now, but fuck them. Who cares.

scuttlebutt

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,350.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Negative. Split off the big conferences and make a pay for play division out of them. Let the rest go to their own and not be a pay for play. Yes, they would get less big name recruits at the smaller schools because you'd have to be an idiot to pass up a scholarship that comes with a pay check to stay home for your favorite school now, but fuck them. Who cares.
"Let them eat cake" ~ Marie Antoinette

Why should you care? Your love interest would be on the inside looking out, irregardless of relevance on a national scale. There are many others.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
naw, I was just saying that to be an ass. I'm actually not in favor of paying college athletes in any way.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Maryland can successfully beat the 50 million dollar exit fee.....

Florida State is the first team out the door for anything 25 million or less.

They just cannot make any money in the basketball Tobacco Road dominated ACC.

ACC hoops is arguably the greatest historical and current basketball.

FSU has always been the oddman out.

Football seems more like something to do during the basketball offseason for ACC schools.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying we should pay college athletes determined by the value of the supposed "profit" Athletic Departments make on a year in and year out basis?

If so, what about the other sports. Do they get paid as equally as a football player? Even the members of the women's golf team?

What happens if a "power" school like Michigan doesn't actually pull in Red numbers for their Athletic Department? Do the players have to pay some money back to the University?

scuttlebutt

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,350.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you saying we should pay college athletes determined by the value of the supposed "profit" Athletic Departments make on a year in and year out basis?

If so, what about the other sports. Do they get paid as equally as a football player? Even the members of the women's golf team?

What happens if a "power" school like Michigan doesn't actually pull in Red numbers for their Athletic Department? Do the players have to pay some money back to the University?
"Into the first turn it's..."[/I]

Love the avatar

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Maryland can successfully beat the 50 million dollar exit fee.....

Florida State is the first team out the door for anything 25 million or less.

They just cannot make any money in the basketball Tobacco Road dominated ACC.

ACC hoops is arguably the greatest historical and current basketball.

FSU has always been the oddman out.

Football seems more like something to do during the basketball offseason for ACC schools.

You do realize the ACC now has a GOR deal that is through like 2027 don't you? Why the hell would anybody add an ACC school knowing they would have to pay like $50 mill upfront and not make any money off of their TV contracts until almost 2030?

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize the ACC now has a GOR deal that is through like 2027 don't you? Why the hell would anybody add an ACC school knowing they would have to pay like $50 mill upfront and not make any money off of their TV contracts until almost 2030?

:10: And FSU signed onto that deal. I believe all the ACC shools unanimously approved it.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10: And FSU signed onto that deal. I believe all the ACC shools unanimously approved it.

Not exactly . . .

Florida State one of two schools to vote against ACC exit fee

5:08 p.m. EST, September 12, 2012|By Coley Harvey, Orlando Sentinel

TALLAHASSEE — Florida State was one of two the current 12 Atlantic Coast Conference schools to vote against a measure that called for an increased conference exit fee, according to FSU board of trustees chairman Allan Bense.
"I think it's punitive," the new trustee chair told the Orlando Sentinel.

In a phone call with the Sentinel late Wednesday afternoon, Bense was confirming statements he made earlier in the day to Warchant.com, a Rivals.com affiliate covering FSU. Bense told Warchant that presidents representing FSU and Maryland at a meeting in North Carolina this week rejected a measure to raise the conference buyout fee to a figure approximately three times larger than the current conference distribution deal.

Florida State ACC exit fee: Florida State voted against ACC exit fee - Orlando Sentinel

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying Players

With the new Time magazine article about the debate about paying college players I thought I'd take a pulse on what are people's opinion on that.

I for one, while am not against it in principle don't think it is really practicle. People love to point out about all the money that sports like football bring into the universities, but there is another part of the equation, how the universities spend that money. And for the most part that money goes right back into the athletic departments, so the money the football teams get from those TV contracts with ESPN go to pay the wrestling coach, to maintain the soccer field and buy the baseball equipment. The sports like football and basketball pay the bills for the whole athletic department. And given that very few athletic department run a budget surplus that would leave them really strapped if they have to pay players (especially if they have to pay all the athletes, not just the football players), and would probably mean they would have to cut programs. So do you tell the track runner that he no longer has a scholarship because they have to pay the football player? Especially when those non-profit sports have true student athletes and for some that is the only way they can pay for college? Which brings up another point, these athletes are actually getting paid already, their payment is in a free college education, something for some schools isn't cheap. Now you can say that someone who is going to the NFL doesn't need that degree, but of the thousands of college football players out there actually make it to the NFL? Let alone have a successful career in the NFL? So that degree actually is important to a lot them.

:2cents: