• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick vs Alex Smith

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Their RBs carries the ball 375 times this year, which was SEVENTY-SEVEN times more than the 49ers RBs carried the ball this year,

Above is what you said. If the Redskins RBs carried the ball 375 times and that was 77 times the amount the 49ers RBs carried the ball, then 49er RBs carried the ball slightly less than 5 times per game.

I originally said the Redskins RBs ran 375 times for 1,768 yards and had the 49ers for 77 fewer carries, which was incorrect. I wrote down 298 carries instead of 388 when I was rushing.

Here is what it should look like:

Redskins RBs - 375 carries for 1,768 rushing yards (4.7 avg) and 110.5 yards/game. One 150+ yards rushing day.

49ers RBs - 388 carries for 1,813 rushing yards (4.7 avg) and 113.3 yards/game. Three 150+ yards rushing days.

Edit: I think I know what you meant. When I said they carried 77 times more I meant carries. Originally when I wrote that I should have put the Redskins had 77 carries more than the 49ers. However, as I noted now, I had written that down incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geology/Astronomy (Geology for the first 3 nine-weeks, but the class morphed into Astronomy for the fourth), Sculpture, English (required; all four years of high school require it in NM), World History (required because I overloaded on science classes earlier in high school), Macro-econ and then early dismissal, which was like naptime.

One of my friends had this schedule: Late Arrival, Sculpture, Weightlifting, Teacher's Aide, English, Early Dismissal. I'm not sure why they even bothered making him show up at all.

Damn Warty- you took that year more seriously than I did! The early dismissal sounds pretty nice though.

If I would have had my shit together the whole time, I could have had a partial scholarship and had not have paid as much for college. It was still a fun experience though.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People that know me on this board and perhaps in life, might if they cared wonder why I, the ultimate Alex Smith supporter from his college days to present, would accept his benching without complaining up the wazzoo. Well, it's things like this that make me ok with the benching from a non-football standpoint. From all things I've seen, before and after the switch, Kaepernick is a good guy, hard worker, respectful to Smith, and classy in general. He's competitive and confident, but I don't see an over cockiness from him. When I saw Troy Smith play well, I saw a person happy for himself; when I saw Colin play well, he looked happy for the team. That's not entirely fair, but that's what I saw from it. It made me feel better that Alex was replaced by a guy that was fun to root for.

Being a Niners fan first and football reasons for the switch was icing on the cake for me. I think I'd need those too, obviously, but none of these took long for me to adjust. I still think and thought Alex could win it for us and I would have still been happy if Harbaugh went with Smith, but on and off the field, it would be very hard, as a Niners fan and human being, not to like Colin Kaepernick, the man and the football player.

I echo some of those sentiments since I watched Smith in college (went to many of his home games) and have seen the horrible times and good times in his career. Being a 49er fan above everything else is why I'm fine with the switch. I wanted a different ending for Smith as a 49er (hoisting the Lombardi trophy over his head next month), but he could still win one as the backup.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not that I agree with NN or anything, but it can be overrated in a different way than NN was talking about. It can be overrated (not vastly) if we don't use it. (We're talking about GB game-planning their approach because of their prediction on what we're going to do, right?) If we're not using it and they over-respect it, then the usage of it, if based upon the 4th in the league stat, is overrated.

As to NN's intention of the word overrated, as in not as good as the numbers look and worse in the second half of the season, one angle I could think of is the method for prediction based upon average or total yards can be over-rated. What I mean is, Alex was 3rd in passer rating, and even if passer rating were a valid stat, he was boosted by playing the Bills, et al. So maybe our running game came against the bad run defenses? I don't know if that is so, just putting it out there.

Just like people put down garbage time yards in blowouts for a QB of the losing team, maybe total rushing yards can be a bit like that but for the winning team. Our numbers in total go up more than it would normally represent if we weren't running the clock out. (But to be honest, we do employ a clock-running approach from the beginning of the game sometimes.)

If I were Green Bay, I'd be more interested in the pass/rush ratio and effectiveness when starting a game or in close games, to see what type of game we'd expect. We'd also look at if they approached games differently against similar teams as mine. If you mean 4th in rpa, then nevermind - that stays constant because we presumably are still trying to maximize yards due to our attempt to run more clock. (Unless we went with a worse backup.)

Having said that, teams are successful when they aren't predictable. I placed the regular season victory over the Giants last year on the fact that NYG assumed we were going to run all day. What this means for the game tomorrow? I don't know because one could assume we're running it in the rain or one could assume we're trying to outsmart them. So I don't know and am glad I'm not the one responsible for guessing (if I had to try to win, otherwise, if I were GB, I'd try to lose to help us Niners ;) ).

ok, so if we consider some of these things above, they MIGHT be a little overrated? my issue is with VASTLY overrated.

have to think we'll play a balanced offense, unless they force us out of it? run left, middle, and right; pass short, medium, and long. wouldn't use fancy or trick plays on offense.

defense is harder to guess, i'll say we'll mix the pressure from different LB's. also think we'll send a CB on a few plays in the 2nd half.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Minnesota RBs - 401 carries for 2,275 rushing yards (5.7 avg) and 142.2 yards/game. Seven 150+ rushing games. They had 1 of those in the 1st half of the year and then 6 in the final 8 games.

Redskins RBs - 375 carries for 1,768 rushing yards (4.7 avg) and 110.5 yards/game. One 150+ rushing games.

49ers RBs - 388 carries for 1,813 rushing yards (4.7 avg) and 113.3 yards/game. Three 150+ yards rushing days.

I think I'll try and look at Seattle, Kansas City, and Buffalo and then stop. If I have time. That way I'll have included the top 6 rushing teams in the NFL. Starting to think I'm getting away from the gist of what I was saying, but it's still somewhat interesting to see RB production none the less. Tape work would be light years better, but I didn't purchase the access to that from the NFL this year.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn Warty- you took that year more seriously than I did! The early dismissal sounds pretty nice though.

If I would have had my shit together the whole time, I could have had a partial scholarship and had not have paid as much for college. It was still a fun experience though.

Yeah, I was a serious student back then. Went to college and everything flew out the window.

Se la vi.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seattle - 430 carries for 2,076 yards (4.8 avg) and 129.8 yards/game. Five 150+ yard games (one of which was 150 right on the button).

Minnesota RBs - 401 carries for 2,275 rushing yards (5.7 avg) and 142.2 yards/game. Seven 150+ rushing games. They had 1 of those in the 1st half of the year and then 6 in the final 8 games.

Redskins RBs - 375 carries for 1,768 rushing yards (4.7 avg) and 110.5 yards/game. One 150+ rushing games.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I originally said the Redskins RBs ran 375 times for 1,768 yards and had the 49ers for 77 fewer carries, which was incorrect. I wrote down 298 carries instead of 388 when I was rushing.

Here is what it should look like:

Redskins RBs - 375 carries for 1,768 rushing yards (4.7 avg) and 110.5 yards/game. One 150+ yards rushing day.

Edit: I think I know what you meant. When I said they carried 77 times more I meant carries. Originally when I wrote that I should have put the Redskins had 77 carries more than the 49ers. However, as I noted now, I had written that down incorrectly.

You meant the 49ers RBs had 77 fewer carries than the Redskins. As I re-read it now that is clear. My bad.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You meant the 49ers RBs had 77 fewer carries than the Redskins. As I re-read it now that is clear. My bad.

I had to read it quite a few times before I made the edit because I couldn't figure out how I wasn't clear but it finally came to me. Oh well. It's all good. And I still feel stupid for not putting in the right or accurate numbers to begin with any way. That's what I get for rushing. I'm usually good with my accuracy, though.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to read it quite a few times before I made the edit because I couldn't figure out how I wasn't clear but it finally came to me. Oh well. It's all good. And I still feel stupid for not putting in the right or accurate numbers to begin with any way. That's what I get for rushing. I'm usually good with my accuracy, though.

Ha! You're a lot of things, but stupid ain't one of 'em Chris.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Irvin just made a great point. He said everyone is building Alex Smith up as he is walking to the sidelines. Suddenly he was a QB who was going to win a Superbowl when he got demoted. When he was in, nobody thought that of him. The reason Harbaugh is going with Kaep is because Smith is at his ceiling. And Kaep, who is at his floor, is doing slightly better.

I thought this was a great point

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Irvin just made a great point. He said everyone is building Alex Smith up as he is walking to the sidelines. Suddenly he was a QB who was going to win a Superbowl when he got demoted. When he was in, nobody thought that of him. The reason Harbaugh is going with Kaep is because Smith is at his ceiling. And Kaep, who is at his floor, is doing slightly better.

I thought this was a great point

I agree with the comment on Kaep, Kaep will only get better. Harbaugh is going with Kaep because he feels Kaep gives us a better chance than Smith. That says nothing good nor bad about Smith re: his ceiling, just that Kaep is felt to be better. That's not to say Smith isn't at his ceiling, I just don't like what that implies because I feel we could have won with Smith due to our defense, running team, and better supporting cast than last year (though now injured). Saying Harbaugh felt that Kaep, even with his inexperience, gave him a better chance to win and is the present and future, is the most accurate statement as to his reasons for going with Kaep. I just don't like people putting their interpretations into Harbaugh's mouth, even though Harbaugh could think that. I think Harbaugh would dislike statements about ceilings with his guys, even if true, and even away from closed doors. Remember, even off camera, the media is still the media.