• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick vs Alex Smith

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who said anything about benching him being classless? I was saying that mocking Alex Smith was classless. There are plenty out there that mock him after Kaep's success. If you don't, then I'm not talking about you. Alex has been classy and professional. I'd mock Brady Quinn because he was unprofessional with his comments after the season was over when Tebow replaced Orton.

I also said that Alex doesn't read the comments on the message boards and articles and wouldn't care if he did, so no harm no foul, it just seems wrong to mock him when he's a classy guy.

years of frustration coming out. unless kap gets injured smith is an afterthought now

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this wasn't directed at me. I was making a joke.

Nope. Your joke was fine and your assessments of him have been fair. Sometimes they are a little enthusiastic and someone over-sensitive could take offense, but I see them as the messages they are, not the style. I've disagreed before and will in the future, but the conversation about Smith is over. I'd move on to defending Kaep. The messages have always been fair and reasonable, and I've known you for years (as far as one can on a message board). We have different opinions and I respect yours.

Every once in a while, I'll get caught up, like when you said or implied that you could go out and do what Smith does, I replied that you couldn't. But that wasn't serious, it was just a joke to call someone out on a figure of speech - though I didn't think you could (maybe if you went back to high school and dedicated yourself). Like when someone says they are so happy they could touch the stars, I'd challenge them to do it. (Not a real example, because that'd just be annoying.)

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Your joke was fine and your assessments of him have been fair. Sometimes they are a little enthusiastic and someone over-sensitive could take offense, but I see them as the messages they are, not the style. I've disagreed before and will in the future, but the conversation about Smith is over. I'd move on to defending Kaep. The messages have always been fair and reasonable, and I've known you for years (as far as one can on a message board). We have different opinions and I respect yours.

Every once in a while, I'll get caught up, like when you said or implied that you could go out and do what Smith does, I replied that you couldn't. But that wasn't serious, it was just a joke to call someone out on a figure of speech - though I didn't think you could (maybe if you went back to high school and dedicated yourself). Like when someone says they are so happy they could touch the stars, I'd challenge them to do it. (Not a real example, because that'd just be annoying.)

Word. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't coming across like an ass in my semi-inebriated state.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A TE drafted in the 3rd round by the buccs in 2005.

That was the damn confusion. Tampa Bay was rumored to want to trade for Alex Smith but decided to go with Williams instead at the last minute. But what actually happened, they wanted the other Alex Smith punking us to draft the QB instead of Rodgers. If we had known they were talking about the TE in the 3rd Round, not the QB with the Third Overall, we would have picked Rodgers. ;) (I'm not talking about Smith as a football player, I'm joking strictly about the rumor that we picked Alex instead of Rodgers so we could trade Alex for the 3rd Overall Pick and something from Tampa Bay. Third and something > Rodgers in their opinion.)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was the damn confusion. Tampa Bay was rumored to want to trade for Alex Smith but decided to go with Williams instead at the last minute. But what actually happened, they wanted the other Alex Smith punking us to draft the QB instead of Rodgers. If we had known they were talking about the TE in the 3rd Round, not the QB with the Third Overall, we would have picked Rodgers. ;) (I'm not talking about Smith as a football player, I'm joking strictly about the rumor that we picked Alex instead of Rodgers so we could trade Alex for the 3rd Overall Pick and something from Tampa Bay. Third and something > Rodgers in their opinion.)

the best was my idea to trade down with the chargers for their 1st and brees.

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also why do peope assume CK is at his floor?? Just because hes a new starter?? The history of the NFL is full of guys who came in, plyed well right away, got HUGE contracts or starting jobs and then stunk the joint up big time. Just because a guy is a new starter doesnt mean he is going to get better see Mark Sanchez, Matt Cassill as the most recent examples ( although there are WAYYY more than that over time)

You put CK in the same group with Matt Sanchez and Matt Cassill?
How about putting him in the group with Joe Montana as the only 49er QBs to win road NFC Chanmpionship games.

rmilia you lose..... Now go home and get your Shine Box!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without ViperVisor here very often and with Flyingiguana now on board with Kaep, even though I've been fully in with Kaep since the decision was made, I feel that I should be the person to do this (not Tomikon ;) ):

THE END!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Viper.

Football knowledge and viper are opposite poles on a magnet. His continued absence is testimony to this fact.

I'm just going to assume everyone's on board. He can correct me if he wants. You know, the benefit of the doubt, even to those who don't show they deserve it. I was an Alex fan (second to the Niners) and I still thought Alex could win it with us (different game plan, of course), didn't stop me from staying on here and admitting that Kaep was the better choice and being happy that we won, with whoever. If all things were equal, I'd rather win this year with Alex and the next with Kaep, but not all things are equal, so I'll take the better chance. Some might think I'm a sell-out, with all the support I gave Smith, but they didn't really understand me anyways. I'm a Niners fan first, Alex was our QB, and Alex was professional, so it was good to root for him. Kaep shows a lot of the things off the field that Alex does, so that's icing on the cake! I will say that Alex has been very professional and has helped Kaep a lot. The below is a bit over the top, but the Superbowl deserves some of this:

But they should also shake the hand of the man next to him, the one with the cross tattooed on his back. Everyone's ignored Alex Smith ever since Kaepernick went and took his job, yet no one might have done more to get the kid prepared than Smith. Chryst knows. He sees it in the meetings – those tiny cloistered sessions where it's just Chryst, Smith, Kaepernick and maybe two other quarterbacks. He's watched Smith push Kaepernick to be better. They study plays together, they identify defenses together. When Kaepernick is unsure of something, Smith is instantly there.

"I think Alex is wired that way too," Chryst said.

Then he paused.

"No one wanted to win this game more than Alex," Chryst said. "It's who Alex is."

He laughed.

"It's a unique gift that Alex has given to Colin," he said.

And they all rode it to the Super Bowl. By Sunday night even Alex Smith's biggest fans had to know Harbaugh did the right thing in November. Link

THE END!

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CK is on a whole new level, and is only 25, he will be the starter here for the next 10 years

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CK is on a whole new level, and is only 25, he will be the starter here for the next 10 years

Yep, some guy was on ESPN saying that he's here for 5-6 years because that's how long a running QB can last. He was using his status as a former player to act like he was an expert. Has he seen Kaepernick?

1) He doesn't take hits because he slides or runs out of bounds. He's confident enough in himself and the system that he doesn't get greedy for one more yard with a hit. He's not a glutton for punishment, tough to spite himself, guy. He knows he can pick up those yards in the next play. You can't do it if you've been injured.

2) Kaepernick is so fast that people that normally hit QBs can't catch up, even when they have the head start of being in front of him. By the time they catch up with him, he will take advantage of the rules that protect QBs and slide. I normally see him running on the outside, not down the middle, so he can get out of bounds.

3) He has pocket presence for the most part. What he lacks, he will pick up in experience. Plus, the hits he takes there is the same as a non-running QB.

4) He's not a running QB, in that he doesn't rely upon his legs to make up for his passing game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kaepernick proved that he can do something we don't see Smith doing when we came back from 17 points down. I won't say he'd never do that, because it would be hypocritical for me to say so (because I hate the words can't, never, and always), but I couldn't rely on him to do so and I felt more confident with Kaep in there to do it. Kaepernick proved he has something intangible that I can't rely on Smith for. Smith is good in staying in the game in the clutch, but being down 10+, at any point in the game, I would not be confident. I think we'd lose the game if we were down by 17-0 with Smith. But, who knows if we would have had two three and outs to start the game?

However, using what happened as proof that Harbaugh knew we couldn't go to the SB with Smith is too simplistic and it puts our interpretation into his mouth. Harbaugh didn't know we'd be down by 17. He just knew that Kaep was better than Smith and gave us a better chance to win, and that includes if we got down by two plus scores. It was the right decision. For all Harbaugh knew, Atlanta could have come and laid an egg. Smith could have won and it would have been harder to switch to Kaepernick and Kaep would have no experience still. Harbaugh was not afraid that Smith would do too well, obviously. My point is that Harbaugh could believe that we could win in an unsustainable way for the future with Smith but have a better chance and better future with Smith. The gamble would have been going with Smith not Kaep - it doesn't mean he knew we couldn't win with Smith. Not luck per se, but a lot of things would have to be going our way, with the defense and running team doing great.

With Kaepernick, some things could go against us and we could win. You saw it with the missed FG and the Crabtree fumble. Kaepernick doesn't have to, but he can win it for us with us down by a lot. He had help of course, if the defense had allowed one score prior to the final meaningful possession, Atlanta would have just needed a FG to win. But my point is that I'm tired of people saying this proved that Harbaugh knew he couldn't win with Smith. It rather proved that we can win with Kaep, Kaep's the better QB, Harbaugh knew this, Kaep is the future (and present, obviously), and that it was the right decision. Kaep was the one who proved that he could do it.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say a prayer every night that two things come to a merciful end:

This thread and that f-ing Honey Boo Boo show

THE END

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say a prayer every night that two things come to a merciful end:

This thread and that f-ing Honey Boo Boo show

THE END

No, Tomikon! This is my right as an Alex Smith supporter and Niners fan! ;) You can reply to this in some other thread. :D

With no mocking intended, Kaepernick is better than Smith and a better chance at winning the SB!

THE END!

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kaepernick proved that he can do something we don't see Smith doing when we came back from 17 points down. I won't say he'd never do that, because it would be hypocritical for me to say so (because I hate the words can't, never, and always), but I couldn't rely on him to do so and I felt more confident with Kaep in there to do it. Kaepernick proved he has something intangible that I can't rely on Smith for. Smith is good in staying in the game in the clutch, but being down 10+, at any point in the game, I would not be confident. I think we'd lose the game if we were down by 17-0 with Smith. But, who knows if we would have had two three and outs to start the game?

However, using what happened as proof that Harbaugh knew we couldn't go to the SB with Smith is too simplistic and it puts our interpretation into his mouth. Harbaugh didn't know we'd be down by 17. He just knew that Kaep was better than Smith and gave us a better chance to win, and that includes if we got down by two plus scores. It was the right decision. For all Harbaugh knew, Atlanta could have come and laid an egg. Smith could have won and it would have been harder to switch to Kaepernick and Kaep would have no experience still. Harbaugh was not afraid that Smith would do too well, obviously. My point is that Harbaugh could believe that we could win in an unsustainable way for the future with Smith but have a better chance and better future with Smith. The gamble would have been going with Smith not Kaep - it doesn't mean he knew we couldn't win with Smith. Not luck per se, but a lot of things would have to be going our way, with the defense and running team doing great.

With Kaepernick, some things could go against us and we could win. You saw it with the missed FG and the Crabtree fumble. Kaepernick doesn't have to, but he can win it for us with us down by a lot. He had help of course, if the defense had allowed one score prior to the final meaningful possession, Atlanta would have just needed a FG to win. But my point is that I'm tired of people saying this proved that Harbaugh knew he couldn't win with Smith. It rather proved that we can win with Kaep, Kaep's the better QB, Harbaugh knew this, Kaep is the future (and present, obviously), and that it was the right decision. Kaep was the one who proved that he could do it.

both qb's have come through in the clutch. smith in the saints game and kap has played great twice. crabtree 2.0 in the giants game last year woulda been a super bowl win for us.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
both qb's have come through in the clutch. smith in the saints game and kap has played great twice. crabtree 2.0 in the giants game last year woulda been a super bowl win for us.

I've said several times, though some disagree, that I feel Smith is good enough that with a gameplan built for him, a great defense, and a running game that we could win with him. Harbaugh thinks so too (because he brought him back)but knows Kaep gives us a better chance than Smith and Kaep relieves some pressure for the defense. I said in the above post that Smith is clutch in a close game. I'm more confident with Kaep in either close or games coming back from a significant deficit. I think, if we could have avoided the two three-and-outs to start the game, that we *could* have won the Falcons game with Smith because of the defense playing well enough to shut them down in the second half (can't predict zero points because the game would be different, but they were playing well). We should have won last year, but I've moved on.

We can talk about Smith in other threads like this one but as far as Kaepernick v. Smith, that's been over for awhile, despite both QBs being able to win with us. Let's try this again.

THE END!