• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Colin Kaepernick vs Alex Smith

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually that is false. Smith was 37-93 on 3rd downs this year. Kaep is 33-105. Smith is a full 8% better on 3rds than CK. Ironically Kaep also had way more 3rd down attempts which means that the Niners arent making as many big plays on 1st and 2nd down under CK as they did under Smith.

I'd be interested in seeing what the yardage was on Kaep 3rd downs vs Alex's

The run game hasn't been effective since Kaep's been in there (number of factors: losing hunter, play calling..)

I think something that's affecting the offense are the audibles at the line. Kaep has had even more issues getting the play off (tough road environment contributing to that)

The big play ability is there with Kaep but the offense doesn't seem to run as smooth as it did with Alex. I actually think Kaep's running ability is the reason. Harbaugh and Roman seem to lean on dropping Kaep back more and letting him make the play, throw or run.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be interested in seeing what the yardage was on Kaep 3rd downs vs Alex's

The run game hasn't been effective since Kaep's been in there (number of factors: losing hunter, play calling..)

I think something that's affecting the offense are the audibles at the line. Kaep has had even more issues getting the play off (tough road environment contributing to that)

The big play ability is there with Kaep but the offense doesn't seem to run as smooth as it did with Alex. I actually think Kaep's running ability is the reason. Harbaugh and Roman seem to lean on dropping Kaep back more and letting him make the play, throw or run.

Not sure what the falcons fan is quoting, but Kap was 32 of 61 attempts on 3rd down with an average distance of 7.7. (vs. 7.9 for Smith)

As for the running game it actually is running about the same - it is important to remember our running game had two huge outliers in the first half of the season.

The lack of smoothness you are witnessing is Kaps ability to extend plays, IMO. Russell Wilson and the Seahawks offense looks disheveled at times as well when he is scrambling.

The audible issues needs to be corrected - no doubt.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked this:

""Going into his senior year at Pitman (High School), Kaepernick met with counselor Philip Sanchez, who told him that his course load and 4.3 weighted GPA easily met all of the NCAA requirements. So why not go easy, Sanchez suggested, as they looked at an open slot on his schedule? Protect that perfect 'A' record, and take a free period or work as a teacher's aide. It's what seniors do. 'He said, 'I don’t want a free period. What else is there?' Sanchez said. 'And there was a psychology class, so he took that.'""

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked this:

""Going into his senior year at Pitman (High School), Kaepernick met with counselor Philip Sanchez, who told him that his course load and 4.3 weighted GPA easily met all of the NCAA requirements. So why not go easy, Sanchez suggested, as they looked at an open slot on his schedule? Protect that perfect 'A' record, and take a free period or work as a teacher's aide. It's what seniors do. 'He said, 'I don’t want a free period. What else is there?' Sanchez said. 'And there was a psychology class, so he took that.'""

Definitely shows more evidence of his strong work ethic and his personal code of ethics.

As for me, I had 2 gym classes, pottery, and an autoshop class my senior year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely shows more evidence of his strong work ethic and his personal code of ethics.

People that know me on this board and perhaps in life, might if they cared wonder why I, the ultimate Alex Smith supporter from his college days to present, would accept his benching without complaining up the wazzoo. Well, it's things like this that make me ok with the benching from a non-football standpoint. From all things I've seen, before and after the switch, Kaepernick is a good guy, hard worker, respectful to Smith, and classy in general. He's competitive and confident, but I don't see an over cockiness from him. When I saw Troy Smith play well, I saw a person happy for himself; when I saw Colin play well, he looked happy for the team. That's not entirely fair, but that's what I saw from it. It made me feel better that Alex was replaced by a guy that was fun to root for.

Being a Niners fan first and football reasons for the switch was icing on the cake for me. I think I'd need those too, obviously, but none of these took long for me to adjust. I still think and thought Alex could win it for us and I would have still been happy if Harbaugh went with Smith, but on and off the field, it would be very hard, as a Niners fan and human being, not to like Colin Kaepernick, the man and the football player.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Geology/Astronomy (Geology for the first 3 nine-weeks, but the class morphed into Astronomy for the fourth), Sculpture, English (required; all four years of high school require it in NM), World History (required because I overloaded on science classes earlier in high school), Macro-econ and then early dismissal, which was like naptime.

One of my friends had this schedule: Late Arrival, Sculpture, Weightlifting, Teacher's Aide, English, Early Dismissal. I'm not sure why they even bothered making him show up at all.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's it? I thought or maybe had hoped you would have elaborated on what a good rushing day was. By those standards the 49ers have only had 3 good running games all year.

Isn't that what I said? The 49ers hadn't had a good running day in a long time? Their running game is vastly overrated.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's it? I thought or maybe had hoped you would have elaborated on what a good rushing day was. By those standards the 49ers have only had 3 good running games all year.

Isn't that what I said? The 49ers hadn't had a good running day in a long time? Their running game is vastly overrated.

4th in the entire NFL can't be "VASTLY overrated".

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4th in the entire NFL can't be "VASTLY overrated".

Not that I agree with NN or anything, but it can be overrated in a different way than NN was talking about. It can be overrated (not vastly) if we don't use it. (We're talking about GB game-planning their approach because of their prediction on what we're going to do, right?) If we're not using it and they over-respect it, then the usage of it, if based upon the 4th in the league stat, is overrated.

As to NN's intention of the word overrated, as in not as good as the numbers look and worse in the second half of the season, one angle I could think of is the method for prediction based upon average or total yards can be over-rated. What I mean is, Alex was 3rd in passer rating, and even if passer rating were a valid stat, he was boosted by playing the Bills, et al. So maybe our running game came against the bad run defenses? I don't know if that is so, just putting it out there.

Just like people put down garbage time yards in blowouts for a QB of the losing team, maybe total rushing yards can be a bit like that but for the winning team. Our numbers in total go up more than it would normally represent if we weren't running the clock out. (But to be honest, we do employ a clock-running approach from the beginning of the game sometimes.)

If I were Green Bay, I'd be more interested in the pass/rush ratio and effectiveness when starting a game or in close games, to see what type of game we'd expect. We'd also look at if they approached games differently against similar teams as mine. If you mean 4th in rpa, then nevermind - that stays constant because we presumably are still trying to maximize yards due to our attempt to run more clock. (Unless we went with a worse backup.)

Having said that, teams are successful when they aren't predictable. I placed the regular season victory over the Giants last year on the fact that NYG assumed we were going to run all day. What this means for the game tomorrow? I don't know because one could assume we're running it in the rain or one could assume we're trying to outsmart them. So I don't know and am glad I'm not the one responsible for guessing (if I had to try to win, otherwise, if I were GB, I'd try to lose to help us Niners ;) ).

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

So, by your standards, whose running game was impressive/successful to you and why? You also failed to address most of what I said, especially the opponents in the 2nd half of the schedule. Why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is way to long, Kap is a 1st year starter and he has started half the season and he is FLAT OUT BETTER THEN SMITH, he has a way higher cieling and can run the ball, end of story. Smith will be gone next year and hopefully we can get a decent draft pick in return

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is way to long, Kap is a 1st year starter and he has started half the season and he is FLAT OUT BETTER THEN SMITH, he has a way higher cieling and can run the ball, end of story. Smith will be gone next year and hopefully we can get a decent draft pick in return

I don't think we'll get a used kleenex in return, but we can all hope.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is way to long...

This thread is too long, but most of it isn't a comparison for the sake of saying Smith should be in. I don't think anyone has done that since the Seattle game or the second Rams game. I'm sure someone will say something if we lose tomorrow unspectacularly, but I suppose that'd be a separate thread or four.

I use this thread to post about Kaepernick or Alex when it doesn't deserve a new thread. Some use it to track Kaep's progress. Insert articles and stats to that effect, etc. Some place comparisons of Kaep to the rest of the league... so while we wouldn't even need a thread to state Kaep is better than Smith, don't look at just the size of the thread to see how ridiculous it may be.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pozz, if you have access to a database or spreadsheet that makes this easy (I don't expect anyone to take the time to find it all from scratch), how many "good running days" did every team in the NFL combine for this year by NN's definition?

I had brought up Washington last night just for comparison purposes. Seemed like a somewhat interesting comparison.

I went and looked at RB totals for them and they only had ONE game this year where their RBs totaled 150+ in a game and it was in the final week of the year vs. Dallas at home - 35 carries for 209 yards (6.0 avg). 33 for 200 of that was Morris' doing.

What about the carries? Did their RBs carry the ball less this year because it was in RGIII's hands more? Their RBs carries the ball 375 times this year, which was SEVENTY-SEVEN times more than the 49ers RBs carried the ball this year, too. And for comparison purposes, they didn't face nearly as difficult of a running schedule as the 49ers did either.

Washington's final RB numbers this year were 375 carries for 1,768 yards (4.7 avg). Despite running the ball 77 more times than the 49ers RBs, they rushed for FORTY-FIVE fewer rushing yards. According to every thing I saw and could find, that's with a far easier running schedule as well. The 49ers depth and diversity at RB is one thing that appears to give the 49ers the edge at the RB position, in my opinion.

I've already brought up that this wouldn't be my favorite way to look at things, especially because all carries are not created equal, but I wanted to see how they measure up to the 150-yard mark.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, by your standards, whose running game was impressive/successful to you and why? You also failed to address most of what I said, especially the opponents in the 2nd half of the schedule. Why?

Because it seemed like you agreed with me when you said the 49ers only had three good running games and those cam very early. Minnesota had a good running game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had brought up Washington last night just for comparison purposes. Seemed like a somewhat interesting comparison.

I went and looked at RB totals for them and they only had ONE game this year where their RBs totaled 150+ in a game and it was in the final week of the year vs. Dallas at home - 35 carries for 209 yards (6.0 avg). 33 for 200 of that was Morris' doing.

What about the carries? Did their RBs carry the ball less this year because it was in RGIII's hands more? Their RBs carries the ball 375 times this year, which was SEVENTY-SEVEN times more than the 49ers RBs carried the ball this year, too. And for comparison purposes, they didn't face nearly as difficult of a running schedule as the 49ers did either.

Washington's final RB numbers this year were 375 carries for 1,768 yards (4.7 avg). Despite running the ball 77 more times than the 49ers RBs, they rushed for FORTY-FIVE fewer rushing yards. According to every thing I saw and could find, that's with a far easier running schedule as well. The 49ers depth and diversity at RB is one thing that appears to give the 49ers the edge at the RB position, in my opinion.

I've already brought up that this wouldn't be my favorite way to look at things, especially because all carries are not created equal, but I wanted to see how they measure up to the 150-yard mark.

What??? You are saying 49er RBs carried the ball less than 5 times a game? C'Mon now?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Their RBs carries the ball 375 times this year, which was SEVENTY-SEVEN times more than the 49ers RBs carried the ball this year,

Above is what you said. If the Redskins RBs carried the ball 375 times and that was 77 times the amount the 49ers RBs carried the ball, then 49er RBs carried the ball slightly less than 5 times per game.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their RBs carries the ball 375 times this year, which was SEVENTY-SEVEN times more than the 49ers RBs carried the ball this year,

Above is what you said. If the Redskins RBs carried the ball 375 times and that was 77 times the amount the 49ers RBs carried the ball, then 49er RBs carried the ball slightly less than 5 times per game.

This would have been a funny typo if you had just presented it like that (or actually just a funny English construction because it wasn't necessarily a typo if "times" is a unit). :)