• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Carson

What do we do at the RB position next year with Chris Carson?

• Let him walk

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Try to resign him to remain our starting RB

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draft a replacement

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys think if the Hawks had the cap space, they would cave to Clowney's demands and give him his #? Cmon guys.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you guys think if the Hawks had the cap space, they would cave to Clowney's demands and give him his #? Cmon guys.
Nobody said that. Nobody really knows, but I lean to no, but most likely would of made a bigger offer.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who knows what that cap number would've been for Seattle to just open the check book and give Clowney whatever he wanted. What we do know is that Seattle didn't think they could afford 20+ million this year and Clowney wasn't down to play for less than that at the time.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have never had that much cap space. It only appeared healthy because the team had few starter quality players under contract. $55-58 million sounds like a lot, but they have spent that money on 18 players and still have what will likely be at least 7 more.

Players Seattle has paid this offseason:

Jarran Reed - ($9,350,000)
B. J. Finney - ($3,500,000)
Brandon Shell - ($3,475,000
Quinten Dunbar - ($3,421,875)
Jacob Hollister - ($3,259,000)
Benson Mayowa - ($3,018,750)
Cedric Ogbuehi - ($2,237,500)
David Moore - ($2,133,000)
Joey Hunt- ($2,133,000)
Brandon Jackson- ($2,133,000)
Phillip Dorsett - ($887,500)
Bryan Mone - ($750,000)
Ryan Neal - ($750,000)
Malik Turner - ($750,000)
Chance Warmack - ($750,000)
Bruce Irvin -
Jordan Simmons -
Luke Willson -

Clowney isn't signed because Seattle couldn't afford the numbers he wants. Right now, with estimated rookie contracts through the draft, Seattle has less than $6 million in cap space (less than 4 with all current and future contracts). Maybe if Clowney signed the reported $13.5 million offer, Seattle doesn't sign Irvin, Mayowa and don't tender Jackson, but since he didn't - Seattle added pieces. Sure, players can be cut to make room for his contract if he signs, but all the players being speculated for those cuts would require the replacement in the starting lineup.

Millions don't stretch far when you need 20 players and they all cost millions.
Ok, I'm not dying on this hill. But we signed quite a few decent role players plus re-signed a key starter on the DL, and we still are in position to make a move on Clowney. Didn't have to restructure anyone or cut any pivotal players up to this point. I'm not claiming we had the most cap space in the fuggin league or anything. But we had enough to make quite a few moves and still can make another pretty important signing. I am not sweating the cap space.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody said that. Nobody really knows, but I lean to no, but most likely would of made a bigger offer.
Sometimes I don't think we speak the same language.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes I don't think we speak the same language.
Think we do, but for some reason you don't care for my responses, most likely because they run contrary to your opinions at times. I like chatting, discussing and debating opinions, but I try to keep it friendly. No insults or sarcasm. Like to keep it to intellectual level and friendly.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record - I never thought Seattle would give Clowney $20 million per. Before free agency started I thought $17 per would be a solid number to shoot for, but after seeing the other pass rushers going for significantly less than expected, I moved my number to $15. Overall, signing Clowney brings its own challenges, but until he comes down even more from his asking price, there's really no reason to worry about that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think we do, but for some reason you don't care for my responses, most likely because they run contrary to your opinions at times. I like chatting, discussing and debating opinions, but I try to keep it friendly. No insults or sarcasm. Like to keep it to intellectual level and friendly.
Debating opinions...isn't that what we are doing? I'm not sure I've insulted you here, but my apologies if so. And for what it's worth, it appears you haven't cared for my responses in this discussion either. I don't take it personally, and I do my best to keep things at at a mature level w/o name calling or profanity. I won't claim to be perfect for sure.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record - I never thought Seattle would give Clowney $20 million per. Before free agency started I thought $17 per would be a solid number to shoot for, but after seeing the other pass rushers going for significantly less than expected, I moved my number to $15. Overall, signing Clowney brings its own challenges, but until he comes down even more from his asking price, there's really no reason to worry about that.
I didn't expect them to pay that much either, and I don't think we would do it right now even if we had the cap space (which we could create without a whole lot of difficulty, in my opinion).

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if we could get Griffin for 12 or 13...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if we could get Griffin for 12 or 13...
Everson Griffen would seem to be the logical plan B if Clowney doesn't work. The logical decision point to me seems like before the draft, but who knows?!

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a lot of people were happy with the cap space we had because it was one of the tops in the NFL but they failed to notice that a MAJOR chunk of the roster would be UFA lol.

Yeah Harold i totally do not expect the Hawks to be what was it 9-2 in one score games again. The Hawks got crazy lucky last year to have a record like that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah a lot of people were happy with the cap space we had because it was one of the tops in the NFL but they failed to notice that a MAJOR chunk of the roster would be UFA lol.
I guess I would ask: how did our % of UFA compare to the rest of the league?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah Harold i totally do not expect the Hawks to be what was it 9-2 in one score games again. The Hawks got crazy lucky last year to have a record like that.
They over achieved, can't expect that will happen this season. However the draft is still to come and the off season extends for months yet. Lots can happen.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They over achieved, can't expect that will happen this season. However the draft is still to come and the off season extends for months yet. Lots can happen.

Yeah, last season reminded me of the Mariners season a few years ago when they broke a MLB record for wins in 1 run games... The following season, not so lucky... Did not come close to expectations the following season... Hope that is not the case for the Hawks this year...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, last season reminded me of the Mariners season a few years ago when they broke a MLB record for wins in 1 run games... The following season, not so lucky... Did not come close to expectations the following season... Hope that is not the case for the Hawks this year...
I don't know where you would go to look it up, but I am betting that the data would show a very strong positive correlation between winning 1 score games in the NFL and having an elite QB. This isn't round ball on round bat like baseball. You put the ball in the hands of the best player on the football field and ask them to go win the game at the end. The best ones do it much more frequently than the rest. We are lucky to have one of those guys touching the ball every snap on our team.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know where you would go to look it up, but I am betting that the data would show a very strong positive correlation between winning 1 score games in the NFL and having an elite QB. This isn't round ball on round bat like baseball. You put the ball in the hands of the best player on the football field and ask them to go win the game at the end. The best ones do it much more frequently than the rest. We are lucky to have one of those guys touching the ball every snap on our team.

Very true... The reason we won those one score games was due in large part to our QB...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What should we do with Chris Carson after this season ends? Chris is playing on the last year of his contract... He's missed a few games each season including the postseason last year... Not sure he's a reliable source at RB moving forward... Do we sign him or do we let him walk?

View attachment 237732

This is what triggered the thought... Should Seahawks buck the 'don't pay running backs' trend with Carson?

As much as I love Chris Carson, it seems these days that runningbacks are a dime a dozen and I've read dozens of articles explaining why it doesn't make sense to give big contracts to runningbacks. The durability is also an issue, especially given his running style.

I think the money is better spent at other positions. It's a really tough call though considering how much we rely on the run game.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Carson overall, loved the Carson Penny 1-2 punch .... But @#$^#@ they never stay healthy....