• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Carson

What do we do at the RB position next year with Chris Carson?

• Let him walk

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Try to resign him to remain our starting RB

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Draft a replacement

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks are not changing to a Chief style offense. Going be what they have always been. What Pete believes in. Strong ground game and good defense. Need work on both counts and that’s what the Seahawks will concentrate on in the draft.

That's why the Seahawks haven't given Clowney the contract he's desiring... We have a lot of holes to fill... If we were solid in a lot of areas, then I could see taking a chance on giving Clowney his contract... I like what the Hawks are doing - standing their ground... They have the leverage right now because Clowney can't travel and visit clubs nor do physicals with them as well... With what we have now (even w/out Clowney) I feel our DL will be more productive than it was last year... I know, that's not saying much...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why the Seahawks haven't given Clowney the contract he's desiring... We have a lot of holes to fill... If we were solid in a lot of areas, then I could see taking a chance on giving Clowney his contract... I like what the Hawks are doing - standing their ground... They have the leverage right now because Clowney can't travel and visit clubs nor do physicals with them as well... With what we have now (even w/out Clowney) I feel our DL will be more productive than it was last year... I know, that's not saying much...

Feel the same way. I know at the beginning some felt the the Seahawks were flush with cap space, unfortunately that wasn't the case given the holes needing filling at cost of present day contracts.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel the same way. I know at the beginning some felt the the Seahawks were flush with cap space, unfortunately that wasn't the case given the holes needing filling at cost of present day contracts.
Well, we had enough cap space to re-sign Jarran Reed, fill a few holes (Bruce Irvin, Greg Olsen, Philip Dorsett, Mayowa, a couple OL guys, trade for Dunbar), still be in position to keep Clowney in town, and so far we haven't had to dump any significant salary to do it. That sounds like ample cap space to me. Building through free agency with multiple high dollar contracts hardly ever works out anyway.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess I'll agree to disagree about how concerning Carson injury is. As I said I'll going on record predicting the Seahawks to draft a RB they can plug in. I'm guessing round 3. Hip injury is a major concern, got to be prepared for the worse and hope for the best. Drafting a RB is more economical then signing a FA and seems like a wiser course for both short term and long term, considering Carson injury and that he'll be a free agent next off season
Could very well work out that way. If the team has information beyond what we do that tells them Carson isn't looking good to start the season, then I can totally understand an early pick on RB because then you're probably without your top 2 guys. But as it stands, the only info we have says that Carson should be ready for week 1. And for me, he's proven enough the past 2 seasons that I don't really care to see him do much at all in pre-season other than work out and practice when needed. He doesn't need to get a single carry in a pre-season game as far as I'm concerned, regardless of what his health status is on the first day of training camp.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could very well work out that way. If the team has information beyond what we do that tells them Carson isn't looking good to start the season, then I can totally understand an early pick on RB because then you're probably without your top 2 guys. But as it stands, the only info we have says that Carson should be ready for week 1. And for me, he's proven enough the past 2 seasons that I don't really care to see him do much at all in pre-season other than work out and practice when needed. He doesn't need to get a single carry in a pre-season game as far as I'm concerned, regardless of what his health status is on the first day of training camp.

Thing is saying they expect or he should be ready by game 1 isn't good enough info to not cover the risk of Carson recovery being delayed or that he's not the same RB once he is back. A broken hip is no joke, IDK if it's a good idea for him to continue to play TBH. In any case the draft is the best way to find a replacement. Can't let that pass without a RB, then find out he's not ready for the start of the season. Any timeline given for his recovery is at best a estimate and his back up is going to miss the start of the season to boot. Not sure why you don't get the need to draft a RB.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, we had enough cap space to re-sign Jarran Reed, fill a few holes (Bruce Irvin, Greg Olsen, Philip Dorsett, Mayowa, a couple OL guys, trade for Dunbar), still be in position to keep Clowney in town, and so far we haven't had to dump any significant salary to do it. That sounds like ample cap space to me. Building through free agency with multiple high dollar contracts hardly ever works out anyway.
I'm happy enough with who they have signed, but I won't of mind them signing say Conklin for example, but would of had to make some hard choices to do that. They had some draft capitol, enough to sign bargain players not enough to sign the better free agents. However I'm with you that the draft is where you build your team.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is saying they expect or he should be ready by game 1 isn't good enough info to not cover the risk of Carson recovery being delayed or that he's not the same RB once he is back. A broken hip is no joke, IDK if it's a good idea for him to continue to play TBH. In any case the draft is the best way to find a replacement. Can't let that pass without a RB, then find out he's not ready for the start of the season. Any timeline given for his recovery is at best a estimate and his back up is going to miss the start of the season to boot. Not sure why you don't get the need to draft a RB.
Oh wow, yeah. Shoot, at this point I just hope Carson is able to walk again. :)

Kidding of course, though it does sorta seem like the injury gets worse the more we talk about it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JMR think our different views on Carson boil down to this:

You feel they need to know Carson won't be ready to draft a RB.
I feel they need to know for sure he will, otherwise they need to draft a RB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JMR think our different views on Carson boil down to this:

You feel they need to know Carson won't be ready to draft a RB.

Sort of. I'm really only talking about what I would like to see the team do, not what I predict they will do. I gave up trying to predict JS's drafts a few years ago.

For me, we aren't replacing Chris Carson in 2020. I have not seen anything on his specific health report from any credible source that says he's at risk for he 2020 opener. I assume players will play unless there is good reason to believe otherwise. The last statement from JS indicates they feel he should be ready by week 1. So if that is the case, I would rather see the team use those early picks on lineman on either side. That's really about it.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to think they could draft linemen and also draft one RB.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JMR
I feel they need to know for sure he will, otherwise they need to draft a RB.
If this is the standard, then we need to draft a replacement for everyone because no one is for sure going to play. Injuries can happen to anyone at any time. Players are increasingly retiring without notice while still in their prime. Tomorrow is not promised.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is the standard, then we need to draft a replacement for everyone because no one is for sure going to play. Injuries can happen to anyone at any time. Players are increasingly retiring without notice while still in their prime. Tomorrow is not promised.

Oh sure, that is exactly what I was saying.:doh:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just pointing out how unrealistic of an expectation you have.
No your not, your just extrapolating a reasonable idea to a unreasonable extreme to win a debate. It's fine, we don't get to decide these things.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We'll still end up signing a player or two via FA after the draft imo probably on the DL, OL and a RB... We'll also need salary to pay for the players we draft... With all that above, we don't have ample cap space unless we restructure contracts or cut a player or two... McDougald has been rumored as a possible casualty...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll still end up signing a player or two via FA after the draft imo probably on the DL, OL and a RB... We'll also need salary to pay for the players we draft... With all that above, we don't have ample cap space unless we restructure contracts or cut a player or two... McDougald has been rumored as a possible casualty...
Had. We had enough cap space to make several moves was my point, in counter to someone saying we didn't have all that much. I guess it depends what we define "a lot" to be. Clowney isn't unsigned right now due to cap limitations.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had. We had enough cap space to make several moves was my point, in counter to someone saying we didn't have all that much. I guess it depends what we define "a lot" to be. Clowney isn't unsigned right now due to cap limitations.
Unsigned because he wanted to much money and still does it seems, even if he has dropped his price. If you have to cut starters to sign a guy, you in fact have some cap limitations, if you didn't you won't have to cut starters.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unsigned because he wanted to much money and still does it seems, even if he has dropped his price. If you have to cut starters to sign a guy, you in fact have some cap limitations, if you didn't you won't have to cut starters.
Yeah, ok. Brilliant.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Seahawks have never had that much cap space. It only appeared healthy because the team had few starter quality players under contract. $55-58 million sounds like a lot, but they have spent that money on 18 players and still have what will likely be at least 7 more.

Players Seattle has paid this offseason:

Jarran Reed - ($9,350,000)
B. J. Finney - ($3,500,000)
Brandon Shell - ($3,475,000
Quinten Dunbar - ($3,421,875)
Jacob Hollister - ($3,259,000)
Benson Mayowa - ($3,018,750)
Cedric Ogbuehi - ($2,237,500)
David Moore - ($2,133,000)
Joey Hunt- ($2,133,000)
Brandon Jackson- ($2,133,000)
Phillip Dorsett - ($887,500)
Bryan Mone - ($750,000)
Ryan Neal - ($750,000)
Malik Turner - ($750,000)
Chance Warmack - ($750,000)
Bruce Irvin -
Jordan Simmons -
Luke Willson -

Clowney isn't signed because Seattle couldn't afford the numbers he wants. Right now, with estimated rookie contracts through the draft, Seattle has less than $6 million in cap space (less than 4 with all current and future contracts). Maybe if Clowney signed the reported $13.5 million offer, Seattle doesn't sign Irvin, Mayowa and don't tender Jackson, but since he didn't - Seattle added pieces. Sure, players can be cut to make room for his contract if he signs, but all the players being speculated for those cuts would require the replacement in the starting lineup.

Millions don't stretch far when you need 20 players and they all cost millions.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks have never had that much cap space. It only appeared healthy because the team had few starter quality players under contract. $55-58 million sounds like a lot, but they have spent that money on 18 players and still have what will likely be at least 7 more.

Players Seattle has paid this offseason:

Jarran Reed - ($9,350,000)
B. J. Finney - ($3,500,000)
Brandon Shell - ($3,475,000
Quinten Dunbar - ($3,421,875)
Jacob Hollister - ($3,259,000)
Benson Mayowa - ($3,018,750)
Cedric Ogbuehi - ($2,237,500)
David Moore - ($2,133,000)
Joey Hunt- ($2,133,000)
Brandon Jackson- ($2,133,000)
Phillip Dorsett - ($887,500)
Bryan Mone - ($750,000)
Ryan Neal - ($750,000)
Malik Turner - ($750,000)
Chance Warmack - ($750,000)
Bruce Irvin -
Jordan Simmons -
Luke Willson -

Clowney isn't signed because Seattle couldn't afford the numbers he wants. Right now, with estimated rookie contracts through the draft, Seattle has less than $6 million in cap space (less than 4 with all current and future contracts). Maybe if Clowney signs the reported $13.5 million offer, Seattle doesn't sign Irvin, Mayowa and don't tender Jackson, but since he didn't - Seattle added pieces. Sure, players can be cut to make room for his contract if he signs, but all the players being speculated for those cuts would require the replacement in the starting lineup.

Millions don't stretch far when you need 20 players and they all cost millions.

You always say it better then I do, but yeah that wasn't a lot of cap space given the needs.