• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chris Borland retiring after 1 year

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Information that would have been great for SF......BEFORE the NFL draft! I'm not sure what round he was taken, but aside from saying all the respectful things, I'm sure their front office is quietly pissed off!

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I respect his decision, afterall, is it really worth it considering the state of the team he is on? :pound:

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That feeling, when you hit someone so hard, your whole body just has a numbing vibration and you see stars...
and playing linebacker? You get that feeling every other play...average NFL career is 2.6 years...

Got no problem with his decision. I've known a couple guys that, when they got to the NFL, it was magnified exponentially. One just walked away halfway through his first year, saying it just was not for him. Thought it was just a little too brutal/hard, and not fun anymore.

Another, played 7 or 8 years, and hated it. Said it was great up through college (where he was all SWC DE) but that in the NFL, it was just different. But, he didnt know what else he was going to do, and was making pretty good money.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry the sport is dying. I think parents, especially in the north, are becoming more concerned about letting their kids play the game. Now you have promising rookies retiring immediately.

I too wonder whether Borland knows more than he is letting on, either about himself or other players. Maybe he saw some guys who were punch drunk from playing the game and got scared.

I dont know, I think there will always be guys who will be willing to play. It is going through a bad PR period now, but I dont see it disappearing anytime soon. As long as it makes money, it'll be around.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think a ton will retire like this, but I bet we see more and more in the future retiring at a young enough age that they can live without a lot of medical concerns. Most probably after that 2nd contract where they can make some bucks.
The guys that can make money outside of football may retire young but the guys that have no skills may not be able to. There are many athletes that don't graduate with a degree.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guys that can make money outside of football may retire young but the guys that have no skills may not be able to. There are many athletes that don't graduate with a degree.

Yep. The guys who don't have degrees or don't want to go back and get degrees will stay longer. The guys who have degrees or can go back and get them will leave early.

Reactions: GNG

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow... The 9ers season isn't looking too hot right now