• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Celtics '20'21 - The Young and the Restless

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I think Williams has a super high ceiling or anything like that... but he moves his feet better than Nance and has some potential as a passer/distributor.
oh my.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're being a little hard on the rookie, IMO. Playoff rosters shrink, and he's not the first rookie to see his minutes dry up in the post season.

In today's NBA, a versatile defender has increased value... Grant Williams proved himself as a defender repeatedly last season.

So it comes down to him hitting the 3 pt shot... (which he improved on last year after an abysmal start to his rookie season). Grant keeps hitting his shot, he's gonna be a worthwhile role player in the NBA.
None of my comments are to say Williams cannot improve (same with Langford and Edwards)....nor are they to suggest Nance is a star of any kind. But they have shown you nothing, really, that suggests williams can help more than Nance could.

think I agree with Tlance, though, in that they need a different type of player than nance right now IF they were looking to add a player to help next season.....but seems like Nance would be a far bigger help than Williams.

sharkymcwrath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are missing that true playoff vet with experience

Wouldn't Tatum and Brown be considered true playoff vets with experience at this point?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of my comments are to say Williams cannot improve (same with Langford and Edwards)....nor are they to suggest Nance is a star of any kind. But they have shown you nothing, really, that suggests williams can help more than Nance could...
I don't know why you're making this point to me... I've flat-out stated that Nance would be a somewhat improvement in terms of bench depth in the short term.

The question then becomes... is a somewhat improvement in a reserve role worth...
  • giving up future draft capital?
  • spending more money? (remember that the C's are hard capped and have to keep in mind tax thresholds as well)
  • losing resources that would have been better utilized in filling a bigger need?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why you're making this point to me... I've flat-out stated that Nance would be a somewhat improvement in terms of bench depth in the short term.

The question then becomes... is a somewhat improvement in a reserve role worth...
  • giving up future draft capital?
  • spending more money? (remember that the C's are hard capped and have to keep in mind tax thresholds as well)
  • losing resources that would have been better utilized in filling a bigger need?
said it because of the comments you made to which I replied.....you also said this....."Are we really that different if you change out Grant Williams for Nance in that list?"

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
said it because of the comments you made to which I replied.....you also said this....."Are we really that different if you change out Grant Williams for Nance in that list?"
Yeah, I said that... and I stand by the question... a somewhat improvement in a bench role, is it really that big a difference to our overall roster?... does it really change us that much?... and furthermore is it worth the effort/cost (keeping in mind the bullet points I listed above).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I said that... and I stand by the question... a somewhat improvement in a bench role, is it really that big a difference to our overall roster?... does it really change us that much?... and furthermore is it worth the effort/cost (keeping in mind the bullet points I listed above).
If it cost what Q suggested I'd say yes (langford, Edwards and filler). For other assets you cared about? Maybe not.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

he’s starting it the Celtics get him imo. Smart starts at pg until kemba is back and then moves to the bench.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was nice seeing Team Green back on the floor tonight. Here are my observations from the 1st preseason game:
  • The game was (predictably) ugly. Most players on the C's couldn't find the bucket with a map. A lot of turnovers, too... ugly.
  • Teague was an exception. His stroke looked good... he hit a bunch of 3's.
  • Out of the young guys... I really liked what I saw out of Nesmith. Not that he shot the ball particularly well, but he had some glimmers out there... a drive to the basket, a play on defense... where he really looked the part. Nesmith is a legitimate NBA athlete... he may be able to contribute right away.
  • Pritchard looked decent too. He's gonna struggle some on defense... but he looked like he belonged out there. I liked Pritchard's moxie, he wasn't afraid to try to make plays and to shoot.
  • Carsen Edwards was really disappointing. I don't know what happened to him... of course he was a stud in college, but he also had moments where he dazzled during summer league and preseason last year... however, dude just looks like a dud out there now. Carsen's a liability on defense (period), so if he's not scoring then he's worthless. Right now, he's worthless.
That's about it. Next game this Friday... ESPN.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Hayward is hurt yet again.... Guess it's going to work for the Celtics not having him

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Hayward is hurt yet again.... Guess it's going to work for the Celtics not having him

I still can’t believe mid pandemic, after a down year, he got a max deal

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They clearly had a hard-on for him

RB Bills

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Celtics were able to trade a draft pick for Rudy Gobert, would that move make them a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Celtics were able to trade a draft pick for Rudy Gobert, would that move make them a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference?

No. Because they're already a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference.

RB Bills

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. Because they're already a top 3 team in the Eastern Conference.

I just figured the Nets (if KD and Kyrie Irving stays healthy), the Bucks, Heat, and Philly were the top four teams in the Eastern Conference.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just figured the Nets (if KD and Kyrie Irving stays healthy), the Bucks, Heat, and Philly were the top four teams in the Eastern Conference.

The Celtics are better than Philly. As for the Nets, they are definitely more talented than the Celtics, but they are also likely to be far more volatile (and not in a good way). So until we see how they actually make it work on the court, I'd have the Celtics ahead of them.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Consider the source!

But apparently Boston was willing to pay him a lot too. Just not quite as much.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The C's already have a pretty decent platoon at the 5 spot... (Tristan Thompson and Daniel Theis)...

... if we're doing a cost/benefit analysis... the idea of going after Gobert doesn't seem good at all.