• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cedric Peerman time?

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nah, I'm not going to ban people who don't agree with me. If he were in charge of a team, it would suck. There is no strawman argument to saying 1st round picks are more likely to succeed than 6th rounders. That's absolute fact.

Restore the Roar

Hopeless Addict
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After reading through all this, I have to ask if they are a dime a dozen why does any team ever "waste an early pick" on one? Even Belichick(sp?) Does it. If ever there was a man who would not do it, it would be him.

I do see your point in a way thought. Rudi was a poster child for what an O-line can do for a RB.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we ban that douchebag yet? What an asshole.

BigBlueNation111

Let The Games Begin!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning guys! Well i feel a win today and i wish i could watch it.I'm getting Drtv tomorrow morning with the "Sun Ticket"package,but was hoping to get it put in this morning!..oh well...patience....
Tiger1.gif

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Nah, I'm not going to ban people who don't agree with me. If he were in charge of a team, it would suck. There is no strawman argument to saying 1st round picks are more likely to succeed than 6th rounders. That's absolute fact.

Good thing I never said that nor argued it.

The strawman is you making the argument about that when it never has been.

Try to follow along this time and not twist it to how you see fit:

The argument made is you can find (*nearly...arguable) as many successful/serviceable RBs in the later rounds and undrafted as you can in the first 3 rounds (based on the names you provided).

That, in addition to the fact that:

1) the success of a RB is highly dependent on his surroundings (system, oline, QB)
2) after the top couple RBs, they all generally fall into the same category/tier (i.e. most of the difference in stats is related to situation and not skill)
3) they have a very low shelf life (few make it very far passed their rookie contracts)
4) for the last 3-4 years, the league has slowly been becoming a passing league, and probably has already made its most significant leap this past season

it really does not make sense to make a significant investment in a RB.

*I don't know how far my list dates back to, nor do I claim to have found all of the good undrafted or drafted late RBs. Based solely on the 2 lists provided, the difference in the numbers of "good" RB selected are insignificant...14 vs 12 (though several of the RBs on your list are there simply based on potential).

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahahahaha. Clueless and an asshole.

flamingrey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After reading through all this, I have to ask if they are a dime a dozen why does any team ever "waste an early pick" on one? Even Belichick(sp?) Does it. If ever there was a man who would not do it, it would be him.

I do see your point in a way thought. Rudi was a poster child for what an O-line can do for a RB.

In 12 years, Belichick has drafted 1 RB in the first round: Laurence Maroney. Not only was he more or less a bust, but this was back in 2006 before the league began making its shift. Additionally, NOW both of his RBs are undrafted players. Apparently after Maroney nor during his busting days, Belichick never deemed it necessary to look for a replacement early in the draft.

Steelers: While Mendenhall is still their number 1, Isaac Redman (another undrafted RB) is closing in pretty fast, and I wouldn't be surprised if he became the number 1 by the end of the season. Fans in Pittsburgh want it (I live there, I know) and their stats through 2 games seem to indicate he's the better player.

Green Bay: Ryan Grant was a very good RB for them prior to injury. Undrafted. Then they turned to 2nd round pick Brandon Jackson last season. But towards the end of last season, shifted to undrafted RB James Starks and have made the full swing to him this year.

Furthermore, and maybe more importantly, teams will always continue to draft players in the early rounds. Especially the very good teams as they likely don't have as many holes, if any glaring ones, that need to be filled. So why not try to hit a homerun with a RB? The Steelers did it with Mendenhall and the Patriots seemed to have done it with Maroney (not saying I necessarily agree). That said, outside of those few teams (3-4 at the most), especially if there are other glaring holes, it makes no sense to grab a RB early. They're not as important to an overall team as other positions (also, see my previous post as to why not...I could add this to my list though, but too late to edit).

Restore the Roar

Hopeless Addict
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 12 years, Belichick has drafted 1 RB in the first round: Laurence Maroney. Not only was he more or less a bust, but this was back in 2006 before the league began making its shift. Additionally, NOW both of his RBs are undrafted players. Apparently after Maroney nor during his busting days, Belichick never deemed it necessary to look for a replacement early in the draft.

Well Belichick did draft a RB in the 2nd and 3rd round this year if I recall correctly......

I can see both sides of this argument and think you guys should just agree to disagree.

kramer1

Sports betting savant
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Belichick did draft a RB in the 2nd and 3rd round this year if I recall correctly......

I can see both sides of this argument and think you guys should just agree to disagree.

I can't. It's a retarded argument. Typical ReyRey, though.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
on a somewhat related topic, am I crazy or is McFadden making a case as the best back in the leauge? Peterson's still the best, but McFadden's closing the gap imo...

1. Peterson
2. McFadden
3. Chris Johnson
4. MJD
5. Ray Rice

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd say, especially with the way CJ has started the year, it'd be

1. Peterson
2. McFadden.

vancelot23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nah, AP has still be dominant, even with McNabb being a black hole of production.