• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can somebody explain the interest in Fleener to me?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i can see them replacing manningham with that pick

Depends how their board looks, but I'd be somewhat surprised if they used their first pick to replace their third receiver. They've got plenty of holes, and a first round pick should be a full-time starter.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends how their board looks, but I'd be somewhat surprised if they used their first pick to replace their third receiver. They've got plenty of holes, and a first round pick should be a full-time starter.

Absolutely. OL and RB are much bigger needs to for them than a third receiver.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the giants seem to draft weapons for eli fairly early. a third wr is basically a starter for them anyways.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. OL and RB are much bigger needs to for them than a third receiver.

Besides they have a couple of guys who can step up into that role. They have proven to be one of the best teams in the league when it comes to developing WR's.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides they have a couple of guys who can step up into that role. They have proven to be one of the best teams in the league when it comes to developing WR's.

they kinda got lucky on cruz imo. i'd be completely shocked if they didn't take a wr within the first 3 rounds. 1st round seems most likely since they'll basically have their choice of the 2nd rounders.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think the Giants will take Fleener not because of Manningham, but try lost two TEs in the playoffs to torn ACLs, so they were down to third string TE. I haven't followed them closely but I don't remember any major FA signings. So TE is a big need...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
they kinda got lucky on cruz imo. i'd be completely shocked if they didn't take a wr within the first 3 rounds. 1st round seems most likely since they'll basically have their choice of the 2nd rounders.

Within the first three rounds is possible. The first round would surprise me. After all, QB and WR were the only offensive positions where they had much talent last year, and it's not that hard to find a solid #3. They might have gotten lucky with Cruz, but there's no reason to believe that he'll fall off. So they've now got two very good WRs. If I were them, I'd look at practically every other position on the field before WR in the first.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Within the first three rounds is possible. The first round would surprise me. After all, QB and WR were the only offensive positions where they had much talent last year, and it's not that hard to find a solid #3. They might have gotten lucky with Cruz, but there's no reason to believe that he'll fall off. So they've now got two very good WRs. If I were them, I'd look at practically every other position on the field before WR in the first.

eli had his best year abusing corners with 3 good wr's. they might just decide to stick with the formula. that's my reasoning anyways.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
eli had his best year abusing corners with 3 good wr's. they might just decide to stick with the formula. that's my reasoning anyways.

If there's an OL with even decent value, they've got to consider him. A franchise QB is no good if he's not upright, and their OTs were among the worst last year. I could see them going WR over TE or RB given the relative value of the position, but I don't think the end of the first round has great value at WR. The end of the second looks more promising to me right now, though it's entirely possible there will be a run on WRs early in the second. And the Giants have shown a commitment to addressing the front-four early. They could look DL or DBs.

Nicks is really the only WR they've drafted particularly high recently. Not to mention they have added two third rounders in the past three drafts, and have shown some ability to develop guys at the position. It could happen, but I'd be pretty surprised. If there's any value at the position, I'd think we'd take the guy one spot before them.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there's an OL with even decent value, they've got to consider him. A franchise QB is no good if he's not upright, and their OTs were among the worst last year. I could see them going WR over TE or RB given the relative value of the position, but I don't think the end of the first round has great value at WR. The end of the second looks more promising to me right now, though it's entirely possible there will be a run on WRs early in the second. And the Giants have shown a commitment to addressing the front-four early. They could look DL or DBs.

Nicks is really the only WR they've drafted particularly high recently. Not to mention they have added two third rounders in the past three drafts, and have shown some ability to develop guys at the position. It could happen, but I'd be pretty surprised. If there's any value at the position, I'd think we'd take the guy one spot before them.

Eli Manning was among the most "upright" QB's in the league last year. Every o'line has its weaknesses but I'm not sure how one of the most protected QB's in the league also had two of the worst OT's in the league. That seems strongly counterintuitive. How were they among the worst?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants' OL was one of the worst last year.

ELI-MANNING-SACK.gif

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants' OL was one of the worst last year.

I have to disagree on an overall basis. Their protection was excellent and they were also excellent at rushing inside the 20's, between the 20's was all Eli. They performed very well in the scheme they were coached to perform.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Eli Manning was among the most "upright" QB's in the league last year. Every o'line has its weaknesses but I'm not sure how one of the most protected QB's in the league also had two of the worst OT's in the league. That seems strongly counterintuitive. How were they among the worst?

You're equating fewer sacks with "most protected." They aren't the same thing. A QB has a tremendous amount of influence over how often he is sacked.

Eli was hit constantly, and if he didn't do such a good job of making plays under duress his team would have been a shadow of itself.

Btw, I'm still waiting to hear how Ballard's tangibles are comparable to Davis'.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to disagree on an overall basis. Their protection was excellent and they were also excellent at rushing inside the 20's, between the 20's was all Eli. They performed very well in the scheme they were coached to perform.

Maybe you were watching the wrong team. The Giants OL was bad last year.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They have far bigger needs than WR. Cruz, Manningham, Nicks, and Steve Smith were all developed from the Giants from the get go. Nicks was the only one who merited a high draft pick and they got him late in the 1st. TE, LB, and OL are much bigger needs for them right now.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah how does RB come into play for them in the first?
They have Bradshaw and Jacobs could still resign, or any of the other backups left unsigned, etc.
If I was their GM I wouldn't be taking Wilson or Martin there at the end, just like I wouldn't want us making the same move.
I don't know their OL, but they don't need a C. If a good G is their we might take him first.
That's why I lean towards Fleener being their choice, if there. Fills a need and good value.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah how does RB come into play for them in the first?
They have Bradshaw and Jacobs could still resign, or any of the other backups left unsigned, etc.

If I was their GM I wouldn't be taking Wilson or Martin there at the end, just like I wouldn't want us making the same move.
I don't know their OL, but they don't need a C. If a good G is their we might take him first.
That's why I lean towards Fleener being their choice, if there. Fills a need and good value.

they ranked 32nd in rushing yards last year. This isn't the same bradshaw and Jacobs combo from a few years ago. Bradshaw lead the team with 659 yards. They could defiantly upgrade their backs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jacobs is getting up there in age (turns 30 in july), and he's just not all that good. Even if he returns, they could use someone. I don't think they'd reach or the position, but I also think they'd take a RB over a WR if all else was equal.

TE is a strong possibility given their needs and the potential value. They'll be looking OG and OT, but especially at OT, I don't see the value there. I'd think they'd look at DT, LB, and DB all before WR, too. Ballard has plenty of upside still, so they might look elsewhere before TE.