• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Can somebody explain the interest in Fleener to me?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I remember when people were saying Andrew Luck doesn't have deep threats on the team. Lo and behold, Fleener runs a 4.45, Oswusu (sp?) runs a 4.36, and Toilolo is probably the best receiver out of the both of them.

The thing I heard repeatedly is that he didn't have outside threats at WR. Given Owusu's health this year, that seems fair. Whalen mostly played out of the slot as I recall from the Stanford games I saw. At the very least, he wasn't used as much of a deep threat.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel confident either way if we draft Fleener or pass on Fleener.

Because Harbaugh has coached him at the college level and now Harbaugh has a year under his belt in the NFL with Vernon on his team.

So if we take him, Harbaugh has confidence he can translate and contribute as #2 TE in NFL. If we pass on him then Harbaugh doesn't think he's that good.
Either way we are fine. We are in a unique position when it comes to Stanford players IMHO.

Pretty much how I feel in general about our personell moves. Baalke and Harbaugh have done enough thus far for me to have faith in their moves. Of course, it's a short history but promising nonetheless. They will hopefully continue their success and thus continue to inspire faith.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pretty much how I feel in general about our personell moves. Baalke and Harbaugh have done enough thus far for me to have faith in their moves. Of course, it's a short history but promising nonetheless. They will hopefully continue their success and thus continue to inspire faith.

Especially someone coming from Stanford, because Harbaugh coached him for what 2 years?

If Harbaugh did NOT have a year of coaching in the NFL then I'd be worried because maybe then he'd overvalue Fleener.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember when people were saying Andrew Luck doesn't have deep threats on the team. Lo and behold, Fleener runs a 4.45, Oswusu (sp?) runs a 4.36, and Toilolo is probably the best receiver out of the both of them.

The only season Owusu actually played healthy was 2009 and still he only made 9 starts. 2010 he had a ton of injuries and only played 7 games. 2011 he got knocked out after the 5th game and proceeded to get knocked out two more times. If a 40 time validates him as a deep threat then go right ahead. That doesn't mean shit when you are on the sidelines or trying to get healthy for half the season.

Toilolo missed the previous season with an ACL tear. I lost count of how many times he got knocked out of games this year. It was at least 3 times. He was gimpy the entire season, plus he is a TE.

Fleener was the only guy healthy and he's a TE.

If Luck had WRs he would have been insane.

Luck lost his deep threat WR when he signed with the Seahawks and I still can't believe we didn't draft him.

Last edited by a moderator: