• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Newton: I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep it's fucking hilarious. I was rooting for Denver due to the Manning going on top story but now just because of this reason alone, I want to see Carolina win

I want to see Denver win and Manning ride off into the sunset. Cam will have other opportunities to win a ring.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 290,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing that rubs people like me the wrong way is how bi-polar he can be. He's Mr. Showboat when the ball is bouncing his way but the second things turn sour he sulks by himself on the bench with that towel over his head. After the Falcons loss he set a world record getting to the locker room to avoid talking to the press. If you want to put yourself in the spotlight you need to own the good and the bad. End of rant.

Yeah, it would be great if he could be a little more even-keeled. He's obviously a very emotional guy, and like 4Down said, when his team was losing the press conferences and the behaviour were painful to watch. The team is winning now, so he's on a real big high and the antics are getting more notice.

If they don't win the SB, it will be interesting to see how he handles the post-game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't get that from what he said. It was more that they haven't seen a QB like him, even though he said African-American first.

Sorry but I don't buy this as a reasonable excuse. When you use a qualifier like "African-American" you are making race an issue. It works both ways.

He says when he looks in the mirror he just sees Cam or Cameron as his friends call him. He said that he doesnt do things to please other people or what they want him to do, I respect a guy who beats to his own drum. Sure I don't care for the Superman thing when you score a TD and your team is down 3 scores like last year, but the kid is playing loose and fun and I think that will go far in the SB. Wilson was another guy that doesn't get rattled. Seattle was down pretty good to GB last year after the picks and won, and same the game vs Carolina, couple of picks and then down 31 to make a pretty close comeback, some guys get rattled to quick and fold

Well we haven't really seen him deal with adversity. He wasn't dealing with any expectations in his first few years. Even in 2013 when the Panthers were 12-4, people were saying that it was a great defense and Cam single handedly carrying the offense.

Win or lose next week, he will now have the expectation of success hanging around his neck. Let's see how he handles that. I honestly don't know.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And to be quite frank it is why he is being criticized. He isn't the first player who celebrates, dance, and etc in the end zone

I think that will always be part of it but to be honest, it's also because he's young.. Brady and the rest have been around in the league a lot longer, so Cam showing off is seen poorly.

There's only one real way to get people to shut up.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry but I don't buy this as a reasonable excuse. When you use a qualifier like "African-American" you are making race an issue. It works both ways.

Agreed.

I also hate it when people need to qualify that they are "African-American" or anything else that has another locale in front of "American". No such thing, to me. If you were born here, then you are an American. Period. End of story. He's no more "African" than I am German.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

I also hate it when people need to qualify that they are "African-American" or anything else that has another locale in front of "American". No such thing, to me. If you were born here, then you are an American. Period. End of story. He's no more "African" than I am German.

I have no issue with the term. Lots of people identify themselves as Italian-American or Irish-American or Native-American or Asian-Americans. Subcultural groups are part of any society.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that will always be part of it but to be honest, it's also because he's young.. Brady and the rest have been around in the league a lot longer, so Cam showing off is seen poorly.

There's only one real way to get people to shut up.

Duct tape?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with the term. Lots of people identify themselves as Italian-American or Irish-American or Native-American or Asian-Americans. Subcultural groups are part of any society.
Fair enough.

I'm just more of the mind, if we really want to remove barriers among race, then why do those very people (all people) then put themselves in a divided group?

Probably a post for another time, though. I digress...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 290,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, you and others keep trying to make this about skin color. I couldn't give less of a shit about his skin color.

For me, I prefer to see leaders lead and give credit to the people that they are leading rather than take credit for all of their workd.

I think it is about skin color, when you drill down.

Bro, I'm not accusing you of outright racism, but what I am saying is that one's view of what a "good leader" looks like is obviously informed by one's own ethnicity and the observed behavior of others who are of the same ethnicity.

If you see mostly white QB's behaving in a certain way for most of your life, then that is what you expect from anybody of any ethnicity. Does that seem fair?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

I'm just more of the mind, if we really want to remove barriers among race, then why do those very people (all people) then put themselves in a divided group?

Probably a post for another time, though. I digress...

Race is an invented concept. Humans arbitrarily segregated themselves based on skin color and then tried to pretend that there were actual difference between the people. But we could do the exact same thing based on eye color or hair color and it would just as meaingless.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have people seen the looks on kids' faces when they get handed a football??? Priceless.

Anyone that wants to bitch and cry about Cam's celebrating need to seriously re-evaluate what's important in life. It's that simple.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro, I'm not accusing you of outright racism, but what I am saying is that one's view of what a "good leader" looks like is obviously informed by one's own ethnicity and the observed behavior of others who are of the same ethnicity.

The United States Army would strongly disagree with you. And if there is one institution that defined my understanding of what a good leader is more than any other, it is the Army.

If you want to say that how a leader relates to people changes based on their shared upbringing, that is true to some extent. The shared experiences of African-Americans may shape their interactions in a way that is different than how two white people would relate to each other.

If you see mostly white QB's behaving in a certain way for most of your life, then that is what you expect from anybody of any ethnicity. Does that seem fair?

Again, I'm fairly indifferent to post-play shenanigans. I don't think QBs should do it because it takes away from the play of the rest of the team.

And I am aware that Cam is very popular with his team. Right now. But things won't always be hugs and kisses. Adveristy brings out the criticism. From fans. From the media. From teammates.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Russell Wilson acted like he tore his jersey off in the endzone, he'd be a douche as well.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have people seen the looks on kids' faces when they get handed a football??? Priceless.

A brilliant PR move by Richardson. I think their faces light up no matter who gives them the football though.

skinzfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black people have their own internal racism. Lighter skin color is better than being "black"

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A brilliant PR move by Richardson. I think their faces light up no matter who gives them the football though.

Yep. It's too bad more players don't do it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Race is an invented concept. Humans arbitrarily segregated themselves based on skin color and then tried to pretend that there were actual difference between the people. But we could do the exact same thing based on eye color or hair color and it would just as meaingless.
Right.

More to my point was that in a climate where races of all kind are struggling to remove barriers they yet inflict, needlessly, their own barrier by segregating themselves from the rest of the population. Oxymoronic, and counter productive in my opinion.