• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cam Newton: I'm an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A thread filled with Seahawk and Cardinal fans saying Cam celebrates too much? No way.

try not giving up 31 and 49 points to him next time if you don't like seeing him celebrate so much.

The funny thing is, this has nothing to do with losing to him. I saw the article and thought it would make for good discussion and merely said he celebrates more than any other QB. I think he's a dick, but I'm not butt hurt about losing. The Seahawks didn't show up ready to win, and the Panthers out-played them.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard what he sias on the radio this morn and he was 100% spot on except maybe the " we have never seen a player like him before" Randall Cunningham was the first guy and McNabb was close. He is bigger and tougher to bring down. When we look at the color of a player instead of his talent, it's sad. I'm gonna root for Cam and Carolina because he hasn't and doesn't conform to what others want

Historically speaking there is no question, IMO, as to why the only black QBs we would see were almost always fast athletic ones. The inherent biases of coaches would deter the "smart" black kid from play QB. Instead they would push them to some other position or even sport.

I think that has changed over the past 15-20 years and we are seeing more black QBs that are closer to tradtiional pocket passers.

But Cam Newton getting on stage and saying that he terrifies people because he is an incomprable African-American QB is hardly helping to dispel the concept of race defining the position.

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he isnt a QB but people used to hate when Jermichael Finley would do his shark fin celebration

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of forcing this to be about race. People dislike others, white, black, whatever for all sorts of silly and seemingly irrational reasons. That's life. I had a guy complain about how long my hair was right off the bat. He had a hostile attitude the rest of the 2 hours I had to deal with him.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm the only one who remembers his interviews when they weren't having success.

Personally, I think he's become more likable over the years as he's matured a bit. Although playing the race card kind of moves him down a peg again.

Jakology

I don't give a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,125.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow was my first thought also. What he pulled was much more disruptive than what Cam does.

Guarantee most of the board supported him and loved him then. But I wasn't around then. Would've been fun to read.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 290,000.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. It's not like there are any notable differences between a QB and any other position.

We already had this disagreement in another thread.

I'll just say that, maybe the reason people expect a different standard for QB's is because it has traditionally been staffed by stoic white guys and not flamboyant black ones.

I am prepared for you to put forth the names of other black QB's who did not behave in the same way as Cam. This is fine, if it was the way those gentlemen chose to comport themselves.

If Cam's coach, and his straight-laced owner, have not seen fit to tell him to rein it in, then neither will I.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tebow was my first thought also. What he pulled was much more disruptive than what Cam does.
Anything religious is usually something the NFL, and the public at large, will look the other way on. The NFL initially fined Hussein Abdullah not realizing what he was doing when he had a pick 6; was later pulled back.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically speaking there is no question, IMO, as to why the only black QBs we would see were almost always fast athletic ones. The inherent biases of coaches would deter the "smart" black kid from play QB. Instead they would push them to some other position or even sport.

I think that has changed over the past 15-20 years and we are seeing more black QBs that are closer to tradtiional pocket passers.

But Cam Newton getting on stage and saying that he terrifies people because he is an incomprable African-American QB is hardly helping to dispel the concept of race defining the position.

I didn't get that from what he said. It was more that they haven't seen a QB like him, even though he said African-American first. He says when he looks in the mirror he just sees Cam or Cameron as his friends call him. He said that he doesnt do things to please other people or what they want him to do, I respect a guy who beats to his own drum. Sure I don't care for the Superman thing when you score a TD and your team is down 3 scores like last year, but the kid is playing loose and fun and I think that will go far in the SB. Wilson was another guy that doesn't get rattled. Seattle was down pretty good to GB last year after the picks and won, and same the game vs Carolina, couple of picks and then down 31 to make a pretty close comeback, some guys get rattled to quick and fold

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually enjoy when players celebrate...to some degree. It can be funny. My take has always been that the QB is the defacto leader of the team and should hold himself to a higher level of professionalism than the other players. That may not be fair to the QB but that's my opinion on it. I think Cam's celebrations border on taunting sometimes and I think he does them way to frequently. For the record I've said the same thing about Rodgers "discount double check" move and his idiotic Shooter McGavin finger pistols. Even if Newton just dialed it back a bit it wouldn't annoy so many people. The other thing that rubs people like me the wrong way is how bi-polar he can be. He's Mr. Showboat when the ball is bouncing his way but the second things turn sour he sulks by himself on the bench with that towel over his head. After the Falcons loss he set a world record getting to the locker room to avoid talking to the press. If you want to put yourself in the spotlight you need to own the good and the bad. End of rant.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a fan of forcing this to be about race. People dislike others, white, black, whatever for all sorts of silly and seemingly irrational reasons. That's life. I had a guy complain about how long my hair was right off the bat. He had a hostile attitude the rest of the 2 hours I had to deal with him.

Oh your a hippie, get the flock out:suds:ta here

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I'm the only one who remembers his interviews when they weren't having success.

Personally, I think he's become more likable over the years as he's matured a bit. Although playing the race card kind of moves him down a peg again.

People forget Steve Smith getting in his grill for hiding under a towel a couple of years ago.

The problem with being the cocky show off when you are winning is that people will be focusing on you when you are losing as well. The Panthers had a great year this year but things won't always be good.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People forget Steve Smith getting in his grill for hiding under a towel a couple of years ago.

The problem with being the cocky show off when you are winning is that people will be focusing on you when you are losing as well. The Panthers had a great year this year but things won't always be good.
Agreed.

True character is often show, not when things are going well, but when adversity strikes, and how you handle it.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People want to hate Cam.....I think it dates back to his college days.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just me, but when a guy is on the field with a helmet on I see him as a "raceless" Football player. There are a lot of players that years later I realize they are a particular race and never knew or cared and it doesn't change anything. So I judge Cam on what he does regardless of his race and sometimes he acts like an ass (when he walked off the podium). Other times he acts like a passionate kid having fun (like when he grabbed the flag the person waived at him). You take the good with the bad. You shouldn't get a pass because of your race and you shouldn't get judged harsher because of your race.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 30,055.69
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already explained it. But for the sensitive under the bridge dwellers, I'll explain again. It's a choreographed move or dance. That is the difference between a spontaneous celebration & what Cam does.

Athletes are paid to play the game AND ENTERTAIN.

Cam does that.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll just say that, maybe the reason people expect a different standard for QB's is because it has traditionally been staffed by stoic white guys and not flamboyant black ones.

Again, you and others keep trying to make this about skin color. I couldn't give less of a shit about his skin color.

For me, I prefer to see leaders lead and give credit to the people that they are leading rather than take credit for all of their workd. Cam Newton isn't the only reason why the team is in the Super Bowl. He doesn't single handedly score touchdowns. Yet his actions would suggest exactly that.

I am prepared for you to put forth the names of other black QB's who did not behave in the same way as Cam. This is fine, if it was the way those gentlemen chose to comport themselves.

I don't judge a player based on their skin color. I don't compare Newton to other black QBs or other white QBs. I compare him to other QBs.

Cam Newton is free to act in whatever way he chooses. That doesn't mean that I should be obligated to like it

If Cam's coach, and his straight-laced owner, have not seen fit to tell him to rein it in, then neither will I.

Well even if I did tell him, he isn't going to listen to me. But that doesn't change how I view his actions.

FTR, I get more annoyed by his 1st down dabs than his Superman antics.