• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bye week notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cundiff, Akers competition begins | CSN Bay Area

Former 49ers kicker Joe Nedney, now an analyst for CSN Bay Area on "49ers Central," said Harbaugh will be monitoring the psyche of Akers during the competition before determining which player to use in the team's Jan. 12 playoff opener.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mindi Bach:

49ers kicker Billy Cundiff has had 7 tryouts this season; stayed mentally & physically in shape and tracked the season on a whiteboard

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barrows:

David Akers revealed he had double-hernia surgery in February. Aggravated it during season, went back to Philly for treatment after NO game.

------------------

Cam Inman:

49ers K David Akers isn't blaming February double-hernia surgery for woes. "If I knew answer, I would have fixed it a long time ago."

49ers K David Akers on kicking derby with Billy Cundiff: "I'm here until they tell me otherwise."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Justin Smith: 'I feel like I'll be ready' | CSN Bay Area

Defensive tackle Justin Smith does not need another MRI examination to gauge whether he'll be ready for the 49ers' first playoff game. He plans to play football and ask questions later.

Smith said any follow-up examination will take place at the conclusion of the season, when he'll likely require surgery to repair the triceps tendon in his left arm.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Barrows:

David Akers revealed he had double-hernia surgery in February. Aggravated it during season, went back to Philly for treatment after NO game.

------------------

Cam Inman:

49ers K David Akers isn't blaming February double-hernia surgery for woes. "If I knew answer, I would have fixed it a long time ago."

49ers K David Akers on kicking derby with Billy Cundiff: "I'm here until they tell me otherwise."

San Francisco 49ers – Niner Insider Blog – SFGate.com Struggling Akers says he’s been battling complications from offseason surgery

DA: Had some injections, the same surgeon. It’s one of those things you need some rest but that’s not the reason. It’s kind of the fundamental of my year. It’s been one of those up-and-down years. I would definitely give that 63-yarder back to make the two kicks against St. Louis. People talk about my demeanor being down, listen, I take my job seriously. I feel when I miss kicks I let the team, the organization, the fans down. I take it personal. I guess sometimes I care too much about it. That’s just kind of who I am. I have no problem talking to y’all and being real. It’s been disappointing. I’m disappointed in myself. There’s nothing I can really do about it now. I can’t go back in the past. Try today to get better and figure out why they’re not going between the poles. If I had an answer I would have fixed it a long time ago.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Maiocco:

Joe Nedney on Akers: "The telling sign to me is the fact he's missing them wide left, which means he's not getting his hips through the ball. He's not swinging confidently through the ball."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Branch:

An omen: David Akers' first FG attempt of 2012 was a missed 48-yarder in a Week 17 win at St. Louis on 1-1-12. #49ers

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've seen some talk recently about how the 49ers need to utilize play action with Kaepernick more than they have been. I don't know have an opinion on that, but among QBs who have played at least 25% of their team's offensive snaps this season, the 49ers have run play action with Kaepernick on 30.2% of his dropbacks, 5th highest % in the NFL.

Highest % of dropbacks that are play action plays

1. Robert Griffin III - 39.6%
2. Russell Wilson - 36.2%
3. Christian Ponder - 32.3%
4. Cam Newton - 30.8%
5. Colin Kaepernick - 30.2%
6. Peyton Manning - 27.3%
7. Matt Schaub - 25.7%
8. Nick Foles - 24.0%
9. Josh Freeman - 23.4%
10. Tom Brady - 23.2%
11. Alex Smith - 23.0%

--------------------------------

Under the same 25% snap figure, here are his ranks for play action plays:

Completion % - 59.4% (22nd) - Alex Smith has the highest play action comp% (77.6%)

YPA - 7.8 (22nd) - Alex Smith is tied for 1st with RGIII at 11.8 YPA.

QB rating - 87.9 (25th) - Alex Smith is 1st with a QB rating of 134.6.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Another thing to throw out there. Kaepernick has the 3rd highest drop % in the NFL (percentage of drops based on the cumulative number of pass attempts).

1. Blaine Gabbert - 9.7%
2. Robert Griffin III - 8.9%
3. Colin Kaepernick - 8.7%
4. Matt Cassel - 8.3%
5. Aaron Rodgers - 8.2%

----------------

Accuracy % (Completion percentage if you factor in dropped passes and take away spikes and throw aways)

I'm also including YPA and YPA rank

1. Alex Smith - 81.3% - 7.97 YPA (5th highest)
2. Aaron Rodgers - 80.2% - 7.78 (7th)
3. Robert Griffin III - 79.6% - 8.14 (2nd)
4. Peyton Manning - 78.6% - 7.98 (T-3rd)
5. Russell Wilson - 77.1% - 7.96 (6th)
6. Drew Brees - 76.2% - 7.73 (8th)
T-7. Colin Kaepernick - 76.0% - 8.33 (1st)
T-7. Matt Ryan - 76.0% - 7.67 (9th)
9. Ben Roethlisberger - 75.8% - 7.28 (14th)
10. Matt Schaub - 75.7% - 7.37 (T-12th)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Wow! Kaep is 1st in YPA if you count a drop as a catch? That's friggn' impressive.

And by impressive I mean I'm impressed with Harbaugh.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow! Kaep is 1st in YPA if you count a drop as a catch? That's friggn' impressive.

And by impressive I mean I'm impressed with Harbaugh.

He already is number 1, not including the drops. The list didn't add those would-be yards. He won't show up on the list to win this year, because he was 6 passes short of qualifying for enough passes. Alex was also 6 passes short for leading in completion percentage and third in passer rating. Kaep would have been 8th in passer rating, but they need 224 passes, to which both our QBs got 218 each. Next year, we'll hopefully only have one QB, so our QB will qualify - now, we just need to hope he maintains this.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already is number 1, not including the drops. The list didn't add those would-be yards. He won't show up on the list to win this year, because he was 6 passes short of qualifying for enough passes. Alex was also 6 passes short for leading in completion percentage and third in passer rating. Kaep would have been 8th in passer rating, but they need 224 passes, to which both our QBs got 218 each. Next year, we'll hopefully only have one QB, so our QB will qualify - now, we just need to hope he maintains this.

That's what I thought as well - Thanks for clarifying.

So where would our combined QB's rank on the list?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I thought as well - Thanks for clarifying.

So where would our combined QB's rank on the list?

Tied for second in YPA. 4th in completion percentage. 4th in passer rating. Pretty high in Total QBR, somewhere around 5th (can't really add these and divide by two). In other words, together they aren't as good in any individual category - but that's true when you add any two QBs together that aren't tied in all respects (even if those two QBs are 1 and 2, averaging them both may still lead to being first place, but the numbers would be worse than the better or the two). Because I always explain even the obvious: One is bound to be better than the other, adding them together only lowers the higher one and raises the lower one. I suppose overall, depending on which QBs you picked, you could get a more well rounded QB by averaging them out.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tied for second in YPA. 4th in completion percentage. 4th in passer rating. Pretty high in Total QBR, somewhere around 5th (can't really add these and divide by two). In other words, together they aren't as good in any individual category - but that's true when you add any two QBs together that aren't tied in all respects (even if those two QBs are 1 and 2, averaging them both may still lead to being first place, but the numbers would be worse than the better or the two. One is bound to be better than the other, adding them together only lowers the higher one and raises the lower one. I suppose overall, depending on which QBs you picked, you could get a more well rounded QB by averaging them out.

The combined QBr = 101.2 You can get the combined stats at ESPN.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The combined QBr = 101.2 You can get the combined stats at ESPN.

Thanks, I wasn't clear in the way I termed things. I referred to QBr as passer rating. I meant Total QBR, the newer ESPN number that is rated 1-100 for the one where I estimated.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On the 49ers: Justin Smith will play, torn tendon and all - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

Smith, 33, is closing out his 12th season, and his contract takes him only through next season.

"I figure I got three more good years in me, four more good years," Smith said in June. "I don't want to be the guy that becomes the third-down guy, plays 17 (snaps). I don't want to do that. I'm figuring, let's go.

"Time is of the essence for me, personally. Not everyone else. We have a young defense. But I think everyone feels the urgency, and we've got the guys right now. Let's not wait."

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the 49ers: Justin Smith will play, torn tendon and all - 49ers - The Sacramento Bee

Smith, 33, is closing out his 12th season, and his contract takes him only through next season.

"I figure I got three more good years in me, four more good years," Smith said in June. "I don't want to be the guy that becomes the third-down guy, plays 17 (snaps). I don't want to do that. I'm figuring, let's go.

"Time is of the essence for me, personally. Not everyone else. We have a young defense. But I think everyone feels the urgency, and we've got the guys right now. Let's not wait."

exactly what I thought(sure others as well) as to why Justin would be "risking" to play in the playoffs given his current ailment. Fucking Justin is Boss.

Going to be REAL hard to replace someone like him down the road. Maybe by the time Smith is done, Watt is a FA and houston falls on their ass? prolly not lol