• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bye week notes

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It could be like pre-emptive PR (because all teams have players who work through byes, but we see them let people know they are having, "practice"). Of course, maybe they really do, who knows? But I wouldn't be surprised either way.

They've lost in the first round in three of the last four years - and many of the skill players of those years are leading the campaign into this years playoffs so it is definitely on their minds.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Just a reminder on this topic with the new CBA rules:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...-of-new-regulations-tied-to-ownerapproved-cba

During the regular season, there can be just 14 padded practices for the entirety of the season, 11 of those sessions must be held in the first 11 weeks, and teams can hold no more than two padded practices per week. One padded practice per week is allowed during the playoffs, and all padded practices are limited to three hours max. Also, a bye week must include at least four consecutive days off, including Saturday.

I'm not sure if that last sentence applies to teams on byes in the playoffs, though.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a reminder on this topic with the new CBA rules:

Teams learn of new regulations tied to owner-approved CBA - NFL.com

During the regular season, there can be just 14 padded practices for the entirety of the season, 11 of those sessions must be held in the first 11 weeks, and teams can hold no more than two padded practices per week. One padded practice per week is allowed during the playoffs, and all padded practices are limited to three hours max. Also, a bye week must include at least four consecutive days off, including Saturday.

I'm not sure if that last sentence applies to teams on byes in the playoffs, though.

Perhaps these limits on practice time these days is the reason today's players, especially the skill position players, are so fundamentally unsound.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know it's been noted in other threads, but Schefter and La Canfora reported the 49ers signed kicker Billy Cundiff.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Eric Branch:

On @KNBR, #49ers Jim Harbaugh suggested Aldon Smith will particularly benefit from bye: “He’s someone that can use it, that needs it.”

I wonder if his shoulder has been even more of a problem than some thought.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Cam Inman:

49ers Jim Harbaugh: "We’ll look at it as three Super Bowls that we have to play and win. That’s just extremely fun to think about"

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is why the bye is so huge, add it Justin Smith needing time and what an advantage.

we have no excuses this post season.

Agreed. We needed this!

I just hope the coaching staff has then motivated and ready! The players better be!

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
this is why the bye is so huge, add it Justin Smith needing time and what an advantage.

we have no excuses this post season.

It is easy to forget that despite his success last season, Aldon wasn't a full time player last year. His snaps have almost doubled. Not that it's an excuse, but it has to contribute along with the shoulder injury and Justin's absence.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hope is that the bye week gives Roman and Harbaugh some time to maybe tinker with the offensive game plan to take advantage of Kaep's strengths, and work on getting Gore and Davis more involved. Hopefully those things are not mutually exclusive.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My hope is that the bye week gives Roman and Harbaugh some time to maybe tinker with the offensive game plan to take advantage of Kaep's strengths, and work on getting Gore and Davis more involved. Hopefully those things are not mutually exclusive.

this is fine but think it is more practicing what they have now to improve execution? practice even the simple things to reduce mistakes.....like lining up wrong and burning TO's; like fumbling the snap; making blocking adjustments at the snap.

just wondering...........it might be Kaep's strength's doesn't quite match Davis' strengths? this isn't to say don't use Davis at all, but why they don't call Davis' number often?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Branch:

#49ers Michael Crabtree in 2012: 85 catches, 1,105 yards. #49ers Dwight Clark in 1981: 85 catches, 1,105 yards.

If spooky Crabtree-Clark stat line continues in playoffs, Crabtree will have 17 catches for 269 yards in 3 games w/ memorable grab in NFCCG.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Eric Branch:

#49ers Michael Crabtree in 2012: 85 catches, 1,105 yards. #49ers Dwight Clark in 1981: 85 catches, 1,105 yards.

If spooky Crabtree-Clark stat line continues in playoffs, Crabtree will have 17 catches for 269 yards in 3 games w/ memorable grab in NFCCG.

Crabtree had 4 100+ yard games. Clark had 3.

Both player's season high in catches in their respective years were 9 catches.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Branch:

Very Cool info Chris! As for the outcome - Fingers Crosses!!

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Joe Flacco among top playoff QBs - NFL.com

These rankings were done according to a combination of factors, especially past playoff experience. That's why, as promising as they are, rookies like Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III are ranked below veteran peers like Matt Ryan and Matt Schaub;

Who would I want going into these playoffs IF I got to pick the make-up (system, coaches) around them?

1) Peyton Manning
2) Aaron Rodgers
3) Tom Brady
4) Matt Ryan
5) Joe Flacco
6) Andrew Luck
7) Andy Dalton
8) Robert Griffin III
9) Colin Kaepernick
10) Matt Schaub
11) Russell Wilson
12) Christian Ponder

The hardest one I had placing was Matt Schaub. So many mixed feelings on him but I don't think the ceiling is real high with him either way.