• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Bye week notes

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers Have Three-Game Focus

The players will be off until the team meets up for Thursday and Friday workouts, and off again over the weekend.

Meanwhile, the coaching staff will be at the team’s Santa Clara headquarters throughout the week studying up on the Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins, who could all visit Candlestick Park as the lowest remaining NFC seed in the Divisional Playoff round.

“We need to prepare equally,” Harbaugh said of the preparation for the three teams, two of which the 49ers have defeated this season.

As for the Redskins, the team the 49ers have not played in 2012, Harbaugh said, “We’ll need to run more computer data on them.”

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers likely to audition other kickers - San Jose Mercury News

Veteran free agent Billy Cundiff, who auditioned with the 49ers on Nov. 27, has been told to expect a follow-up tryout, according to a league source. Former Carolina Panthers kicker Justin Medlock is also under consideration, the Sacramento Bee reported.

Medlock seems almost as scary as Cundiff is. Eeek.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Veteran free agent Billy Cundiff, who auditioned with the 49ers on Nov. 27, has been told to expect a follow-up tryout, according to a league source. Former Carolina Panthers kicker Justin Medlock is also under consideration, the Sacramento Bee reported.

"To me, this seems like unchartered territory, for a team to have an established veteran go through this at this point in the season," Nedney said by phone Monday. "It's a nightmare come true. No disrespect to David Akers, but it's reality."

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The way you’ve used your running backs this year, is Frank a lot fresher this time of year than he was at the end of December a year ago? Do you see that in him?

“I hate the word fresh, I think strong. How about strong, can we go with strong? I think he is stronger than he was at this time last year. I know his legs were tired the Seattle week. I think he felt a lot better this week. I think our whole team could use some rest, mind and body.”

SRPnVA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully Akers can get it together. Want no part of Cundiff in the playoffs.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers Have Three-Game Focus

The players will be off until the team meets up for Thursday and Friday workouts, and off again over the weekend.

Meanwhile, the coaching staff will be at the team’s Santa Clara headquarters throughout the week studying up on the Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks and Washington Redskins, who could all visit Candlestick Park as the lowest remaining NFC seed in the Divisional Playoff round.

“We need to prepare equally,” Harbaugh said of the preparation for the three teams, two of which the 49ers have defeated this season.

As for the Redskins, the team the 49ers have not played in 2012, Harbaugh said, “We’ll need to run more computer data on them.”

Wouldn't the Falcons get the lowest remaining seed?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"To me, this seems like unchartered territory, for a team to have an established veteran go through this at this point in the season," Nedney said by phone Monday. "It's a nightmare come true. No disrespect to David Akers, but it's reality."

"unchartered" huh?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would, that is why the 49ers aren't looking at the Vikings. I think that article was just not written very well.

Ya, that would be "unchartered" territory if that happened.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cundiff missed game winner in afc championship right?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

San Francisco 49ers bringing in kickers for workouts, including Billy Cundiff and Justin Medlock - ESPN

With David Akers struggling, the San Francisco 49ers are bringing in kickers for workouts, including Billy Cundiff and Justin Medlock, a league told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Monday.

Cundiff AND Medlock? They're just trying to give me a heart attack for the new year. They'd have been my last 2 choices. I hope my fears are just typical fan crap.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cundiff missed game winner in afc championship right?

To be fair, John Harbaugh should have called timeout, since he gave Cundiff no real time to kick it. He hurried it. Harbaugh said he didn't call it because he didn't want to throw Cundiff off. To be realistic, Cundiff should have made it regardless - he's kicking it from the same place, the field goal posts are in the same place, the snap is the same distance and speed, the weather is the same, etc. I'm sure it's hard to just be ready to kick whenever the ball is snapped, but I can't act as if the pressure wasn't already at its maximum and that hitting them in pressure isn't what he's supposed to do. Should have given the kicker the time, but the kicker needs to be mentally prepared when he had all drive to be ready - go in when told or don't go in (if a TD is scored) - since you don't do anything else like audible or read the defense, just be ready.

Does anyone else know more about why the kick was rushed? They had 11-12 seconds left, how much did the playclock have? Cundiff was in the pro bowl the year before. Akers was in the pro bowl the year before. Here's hoping there's no pro bowl curse for years right after making it. Oh, and Lee Evans was so close to not letting Cundiff kick and be the scapegoat.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I heard earlier that the Falcons are going to practice through their bye week. Is that common? Or are they just feeling the urgency after their last few playoff experiences?

I'm not sure how productive it will be, since their OC, DC, and ST's coach are all being interviewed for HC jobs this week.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard earlier that the Falcons are going to practice through their bye week. Is that common? Or are they just feeling the urgency after their last few playoff experiences?

I'm not sure how productive it will be, since their OC, DC, and ST's coach are all being interviewed for HC jobs this week.

I would be surprised if the Falcons are not feeling a sense of concern heading into the playoffs - perhaps they are just trying to do something different, hoping for different results. Also, there are many activities that can be labeled practice, maybe this is just a few/many players getting together on their own?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be surprised if the Falcons are not feeling a sense of concern heading into the playoffs - perhaps they are just trying to do something different, hoping for different results. Also, there are many activities that can be labeled practice, maybe this is just a few/many players getting together on their own?

It could be like pre-emptive PR (because all teams have players who work through byes, but we see them let people know they are having, "practice"). Of course, maybe they really do, who knows? But I wouldn't be surprised either way.